Thread: One Box For Cooking Gear, Please...

Default One Box For Cooking Gear, Please...

We had a swank bag and a few small boxes, but no more! Now, we have a box that can hold ALL the cooking and eating gear; in one place.

A3F6DA0D-3B94-4A83-A230-B705CD419608.jpg
    The kids like to play chest.

B48CB84A-ACF8-4322-9F9F-0655F0764F43.jpg
    Eyebolts are easy to tie to. A loop from eye to eye, around the booth cleats, will hold the lid securely enough. We could maybe suspend the lid, too. For whatever reason. I cut all the bevels with my sloyd knife and hatchet.

0248299E-9E0D-4ED0-9ECE-619D6C53E220.jpg
    Our little sink basins fit right in there, filling the space when resting on the rails. The rest is just open, until it all gets sorted into a space after a trip or two...

Anyway.

Default Re: One Box For Cooking Gear, Please...

NICE! You have room for your home carved set of Lewis Isles Chessmen?

A.R., you have created something that has been perking in my mind FOR A WHILE ...

w/ my little trailer sailer nearing completion(still months off) having certain conveniences along has had me puzzled as to how they can be carried w/ the least complications butt the greatest ease of use

ideally the system will be an asset as opposed to being a nuisance/in the way

i like the game board on your top

and the out of the way fasteners

more pics please showing your whole kit assembled and spread out

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    NICE! You have room for your home carved set of Lewis Isles Chessmen?
    My jerk kids kept coming in and asking, “Did you mean to make the right corner black?”

After the 30th time, it got sorta funny.

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    A.R., you have created something that has been perking in my mind FOR A WHILE ...

w/ my little trailer sailer nearing completion(still months off) having certain conveniences along has had me puzzled as to how they can be carried w/ the least complications butt the greatest ease of use

ideally the system will be an asset as opposed to being a nuisance/in the way

i like the game board on your top

and the out of the way fasteners

more pics please showing your whole kit assembled and spread out

sw
    Oh, indeed. I had planned a more elaborate number, with swing out doors supporting flip out tops, and shelves and drawers and a whistle...

Then, I just cheaper out and made a box, because someone suggested I could call it a wanigan, then. Wanigan, it is!

Thus far, it is empty and un-used, so I’ve no idea how things will work out. I will like as not devise some baffles or trays or somesuch to further organize the contents; the aim is to replace our old picnic bag and a few boxes with one box.

The cleats up top hold the plastic “dish pans” perfectly, so I’ve already crosse one hurdle! There’s a prefect place to store all the wash kit AND firmly cap the box. Whee!

Not obvious in the pictures are the 1x2 cleats across the width of the bottom, to keep the bottom out if dirt and water. Of course, the cleats are glued and nailed, too, because they’ll also support the bottom.

I still need to add a simple trim around the bottom/side joint, too. Because, why not? Then, paint!

NO PAINT

those side joints/corners deserve a clear finish at a bare minimum

the guys who sail Michalak's smaller open boats would also use it for a rowing seat

lashed fwd against a bulkhead on the floor heavy boxes aid in righting

the basin cleats are a good idea

will it get to serve in the Frolic2 ?

sw

steve

Meh. I am not a fancy or bright guy. The joints are only there because they’re stronger than other ways, and simple. They’re certainly putty and paint work, like most of my stuff.

This bad boy is 22”l x 15-1/2”w x 17”h, so a bit large for a seat in my skiff. I have a special little seat/storage deal for that.

The Frolic? Sigh. I may use her once, just to say I did, but the notion of being alone and away on such a boat has passed. Too many risks for me to seriously contemplate it. She’s not big, but big enough, eh?

I’ll stick to day trips, or maybe something smaller and easier to shift alone, and more stable.

Either way, the Frolic needs a home. I need to finish the last few odd jobs, first, but it’s hard knowing she’s gotta go. This box would sit perfectly just inside the slot, though, and be an excellent seat/step there...

Hey, Rob, would drain/ vent holes be a good thing for letting out moisture ( I'm thinking of your tub/ sink) or a bad thing as an entrance for bugs?

Kvein
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I've tried drain holes on kitchen boxes, but they always let in dirt/sand and kind of defeated the purpose of a nice box for that stuff. Easier to wipe the damp with a towel.

44D03463-A2C8-4642-A614-CCC80BD35487.jpg
    Boop.

AE86CDE9-E651-4613-A71F-D95877ED4F5C.jpg
    Boop!
    The stove is down under the pot, there, where the plates and bowls live, for now. All the stuffs, exclusive of food and water, that we need to eat is in here. We have had to supplement our original canoe kit, but we’ve kept most of it, and simply added. The kids never remember a time without these cheesy mugs or goofy flatware.

48 pounds, full, weighed. Not unmanageable, at all.

Now, if I only get to go somewhere...

Also, this is for 6 people. If I were alone, or with one other, this could be the whole larder and pantry and all!

ETA: spatulas, tongs, bottle openers, spices, cups, mugs, towels... it all just jammed right in!

steve

I think you did a really nice job! I wish I knew how to make corners like that.

the guys who sail Michalak's smaller open boats would also use it for a rowing seat
    I do have a rowing box for my little skiff, but it is indeed to shallow to be a wanigan.
    I stuff my lunch, a bottle of water and all sorts of stuff in there. It's made from an old tool box that belonged to my grandfather.

SAM_8078.jpg

I have an aluminum box that I purchased decades ago for a Bill Mason style wainigan, but never used it as such. Instead, it holds reloading gear.

One thing about wainigans, I always thought the lid was supposed to open out and make a table top.

You have a Frolic and are thinking of selling her before even getting it wet once? They make fine day sailers. They are as easy, or easier to set up than any other day sailer out there. So even if you don't intend to use it for overnight trips, you might like it.

Yes, I built a Frolic to mess around in, but a boat that large is very impractical as a daysailer around here, and I really just don’t need a boat that large as I’m never going to be doing multi night sails.

Life is one gut punch after another, but one boat more or less won’t break me. She’s lovely, to my admittedly suspect eye, and well made, I think.

It is what it is.

29C68AC5-7108-4FF8-A159-2EEBE8E3F7C2.jpg
    Will totally carry the wanigan; and have room to sleep in for me. Overnighted champion, she is.

8DAFE255-B929-4365-8CB7-8D5B08BD813F.jpg
    This where the sitting happens. A little cushion sits on it, and it has rubber bottom strips so it don’t slide in the sole.
    The tray holds the fish what nots or thole pins.

D9D3C046-757D-4D92-A924-BF92A510128B.jpg
    I need a longer rowboat! Anybody need a skiff? I can’t make a new one unless I get rid of one.

How long is that one?
    I knew a guy... just sayin', that cut a rowboat in half and added 3 feet to the middle.
    What a difference! just about double its size with a significant increase in speed.

Ummm. 14-ish feet? I don’t remember, actually. Hahaha. I have given modifications some thought, but this boat really is perfect for almost everything except rowing a long way, so,I’d hate to wreck it just to make it marginally better at one thing it still won’t do really well.

She’ll hold a ton, and can turn on a dime, if you need to, say, avoid a rock you didn’t see. She tracks well enough, and is PLENTY stable to stand and cast from; if you can stand in the pirogue.

Which, that bad boy is a beast. Leaned over on the chine, it steers just perfectly to counter the pole, and it’ll glide for days over flats. Which, we had some practice with in the drained lake.

I have been thinking on some manner of double ended number; say, maybe with a narrow flat skillet bottom and some shape to the lapped sides stuck to laminated frames...

Because I’ve found that rowing doesn’t bother my back at all, because it’s the twisting stuff I can’t do; bending at the waist is okay, provided hip angle can be managed. Good news!

6DF952CE-B2CF-40E6-8C57-BEB84EEA50CC.jpg
    You turn your back on the kids for ONE minute… Apparently, we’re going with an Americana theme? Hahaha. Like building a boat, I’m half way done, and only 90% to go!

¿ took 'em a whole minute ?

i'da figg'rd only a few seconds

WELL DUNN KIDS ;-)

sw

steve