Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom powerboat from the UK.

Default Custom powerboat from the UK.

New and old at once. Very pretty, incredible workmanship. Id love to own it, yet I would dread maintaining her.

Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: Custom powerboat from the UK.

It's ugly.

Physically and morally.

So when the next super storm dumps water on Cornwall and floods his boatyard I shall not loose any sleep.

This sought of stuff is about to become illegal. The man that commissioned it, is making the world worse for all of us and clearly knows better.

And regarding Cockwell's...didn't see pads under the clamps etc. I see amateurs working to higher standards. Teak FFS?

They deserve to go out of business. Their web page on sustainability: composting sawdust & selling offcuts for firewood (more co2) is laughable when your selling twin V8 powered 40ft swim platforms from non local materials in 2021.

The flag on the transom an embarrassment: it represents the trailing edge of technology and modernism, the last gasps of ingrained 20th century consumptionism.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 09-05-2021 at 08:06 AM.

Edward, why not tell us what you think?

Frankly, for those with too much money and needs someplace to use or put it, this is not in the category of many who are ruining the planet. I think you are way too sweeping with criticisms.

Some interesting details in her bottom. Generally a work of art that has created employment for a lot of very skilled young artisans. What is not to love?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post

What is not to love?
    Bow is unacceptably high at speed.

I'm with Edward. If the product is immoral, the morality of the artisans making it has been compromised.

Did they say it is skinned in 6mm teak. Let's hope there is a substantial layer of glass outside that.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    It's ugly.

Physically and morally.

So when the next super storm dumps water on Cornwall and floods his boatyard I shall not loose any sleep.

This sought of stuff is about to become illegal. The man that commissioned it, is making the world worse for all of us and clearly knows better.

And regarding Cockwell's...didn't see pads under the clamps etc. I see amateurs working to higher standards. Teak FFS?

They deserve to go out of business. Their web page on sustainability: composting sawdust & selling offcuts for firewood (more co2) is laughable when your selling twin V8 powered 40ft swim platforms from non local materials in 2021.

The flag on the transom an embarrassment: it represents the trailing edge of technology and modernism, the last gasps of ingrained 20th century consumptionism.
    Surely all pleasure boats are ultimately unnecessary? We buy them simply for, well, our own pleasure.

There's really nothing at all sustainable about this hobby of ours.

Personally I like what they have built.

I think it looks a lot better than many other contemporary boats.It certainly consumes a lot less of the planet's resources than some of the examples mmd has posted in the bilge to amuse us.As for the use of teak,why not?In recent years Woodenboat has included articles on the emerging trend of growing teak on plantations,some of which are in central America and it can be harvested with a view to replanting.Just as any other tree can be.I wonder what the parent vessel is like.

Rockland Maine USA and Woodbridge, Suffolk, England

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    It's ugly.

Physically and morally.

Couldn't agree more - totally morally ugly with today's looming climate emergency.

And the outdated sexist shots with a swimsuited young woman sitting in the stern while the macho man drives the boat. Yuk.

Power boats, like internal combustion driven cars and trucks have to become a thing of the past if we are to bequeath to our children and grandchildren a liveable world.

Sail boats are indeed an unnecessary pleasure in the strictest sense, but their environmental impact is pretty small, and their benefit for health and mindfulness is immense.

Cheers -- George
    To be truly free to live, one must be free to think and speak.

A C Grayling

Quote Originally Posted by debenriver View Post

Sail boats are indeed an unnecessary pleasure in the strictest sense, but their environmental impact is pretty small, and their benefit for health and mindfulness is immense.

Cheers -- George
    George. Yes, I get what you are saying. I have one myself. It's a very second-hand boat so I guess I could shrug my shoulders and say that as I never commissioned her build then I can't be responsible for that, and as I'll probably sell her to someone else at some stage then I can wash my hands on any responsibility for her eventual disposal. But the thing is I'm a part of the demand that keeps the whole business going. I may never buy a new boat, but my involvement in the second-hand market creates demand for new boats.

That aside, I race my boat and so buy a new set of sails every three years or so, the old ones I guess go to landfill. We break stuff, or wear it out and then need to replace it, barely a month goes by without another parcel of plastic parts arriving. The boat is antifouled each year, paint and varnish touched up etc. Because it's not her primary means of propulsion, she has an old 1980s diesel engine that I am sure pumps out way more pollutants than a considerably larger modern engine would.

Yes, we need to move on from internal combustion, but in the great scheme of things I don't see that sailboats are that much less of a problem.

Some interesting details in her bottom. Generally a work of art that has created employment for a lot of very skilled young artisans. What is not to love?
    Nick, I agree.

Cockwells have done exactly that. In 2010 the yard built the Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter Merlin, a boat that's quality stands head and shoulders above any other that I've sailed aboard:

Merlin.jpg

https://cockwells.co.uk/sail-and-mot...cts/merlin-48/

I took the image from Cockwell's website.

This is not a place that 'deserves to go out of business'

As a 50 year so far boatbuilder and boat repairer, I can say that rich people have paid my wages all those years, and I have gotten to do some **** jobs and some pretty fantastic work on these yachts.
    ”Immoral” is way, way to strong a critique for somebody spending their (THEIR) money on what pleases them. Immoral has to do with people spending money on things whose only purpose is to kill, maim and enslave their fellow man.
    Most people of means spend their money on houses/yachts/cars/planes/art/horses/gardens/new businesses etc. And by doing so their monies employ people who have skills and energy to trade for wages.
    My taste may or may not be what the Original Post depicts, but I applaud whole heartedly and without reservation the “Spenders” commitment to fulfilling their visions.
    Wealth/Capital has given us things like the Parthenon, Tea Clippers, Herrishoff daysailers, Kentucky Derby winners, the Tucker automobile...long may they thrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schweiss View Post
    As a 50 year so far boatbuilder and boat repairer, I can say that rich people have paid my wages all those years, and I have gotten to do some **** jobs and some pretty fantastic work on these yachts.
    ”Immoral” is way, way to strong a critique for somebody spending their (THEIR) money on what pleases them. Immoral has to do with people spending money on things whose only purpose is to kill, maim and enslave their fellow man.
    Most people of means spend their money on houses/yachts/cars/planes/art/horses/gardens/new businesses etc. And by doing so their monies employ people who have skills and energy to trade for wages.
    My taste may or may not be what the Original Post depicts, but I applaud whole heartedly and without reservation the “Spenders” commitment to fulfilling their visions.
    Wealth/Capital has given us things like the Parthenon, Tea Clippers, Herrishoff daysailers, Kentucky Derby winners, the Tucker automobile...long may they thrive.
    Absolutely agreed !!!!!!!
    "Little Bear" 1955 Fontana 18' - 1958 Atomic 4
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Did they say it is skinned in 6mm teak. Let's hope there is a substantial layer of glass outside that.
    The video said 3mm - but that seemed to be over ply - or possibly some other substrate - essentially an aesthetic add on.

I personally don't find it an appealing boat - but it's said that "Beauty is in the eye of...."
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schweiss View Post
    That sounds reasonable but I'm afraid it's totally mistaken. Even the billionaires understand that trickle-down economics doesn't work. The money spent on the Cockwell's boat is now sequestered in that thing, sitting in a shed somewhere with a cover over it. Yes minor amounts will be spent on maintaining that one boat each year in future, but some years the owner will forget he owns it and nothing will be spent. Now if the same money was invested in....oh, say an electric bike company that employs 20 people year round forever.....the economic activity, the societal benefit will be long term and wide ranging. The societal benefit from another speedboat in a shed is nil......
    http://www.tadroberts.ca
    http://blog.tadroberts.ca/
    http://www.passagemakerlite.com

Those who have fed their families and enjoyed what ever fruits that life have afforded as a result of other affluent peoples desires cannot agree with those who only throw stones. Perhaps the world is not fair but I do not know of any society that is. Many that inhabit the lower rungs do so, not because that is the only fate available to them, but because that allows them to live a life as they wish. Not everyone wants to deal with the side effects of affluence.

There are myriad side effects of capital wealth and it is clear that posters to this thread are not in agreement what they are or what they should be.

Probably Tad and Paul are not nearly as far apart in reasoning as it might appear.
    Last edited by Sandlapper; 09-06-2021 at 09:31 AM.

Cockwells employ 80 people in Falmouth. Add to them the supply chain of engine makers, stern gear, electrics, outfit upholstery, plumbing yada, yada, yada.
    Every wage earner will support another person in their local economy.
    And people on here think that is bad?
    Remarkable!

Never did I imagine that sharing a video of a wooden boat crafted by some very talented men from the UK would spawn such vitriol. At first I thought the negative comments were fomented only from jealousy, but I don’t think that’s the right word. It goes far beyond that to a form of extremism that I find equally disgusting as any far right, anti-vax gun nut.
    To be sure we are witnessing the end of the age of the internal combustion engine, and at some point oil as a form of energy, but we aren’t there yet. I’ve seen comments on this forum critical of an electric car because it’s “too fast and wasteful”. So if I charged this car from from solar panels what exactly am I wasting? Sunlight? Here’s a hint, they’ll make more.
    Recently at the lake of the Ozarks Shootout, a powerboat top speed competition, a new record was set at 49mph for an electric production boat. Fantastic news I’d say, just as the Tesla S plaid edition is now the fastest accelerating car you can buy. This sort of thing brings the new tech out of the shadows and exposes more people. More buyers.
    But as I said we aren’t quite there yet. The Yanmar turbo diesels are likely the most efficient ICE power plants the builder could choose. When electric motors AND batteries (or fuel cells.) can provide comparable power and range the changeover will be swift. I know if I had the option of a 300hp electric motor for my boat, similar range to the 60 gallon tank AND I could cover the dock roof with solar panels and not have to lug fuel jugs or visit the gas dock again I’d sign up. In a minute.
    But for the time being I’m not going to criticize somebody for spending their coin on something that makes them happy and employs some very talented young men.

I find the concept of the boat and its design disgusting.
    Its good that the builders had employment, but their pride in the project as a whole is probably diminished by its vulgarity.

This is a boat forum not a philosophy seminar. Review the goddam boat!

What a laugh! The commentator on the video admiringly says, "....the way she sits in the water..." while the video shows her running with the bow up in the air and pounding; looks lubberly.

It's a boat that will give uncomfortable, substandard performance in rough going. This is the bottom line, not the societal impact of the project. The fool who buys her is throwing his money away, but at least some folks received wages from that. The boat will seldom be operated so the fuel used may have little negative impact.

The builder says that the whole point of having a custom boat is you get what you want. Whoever came up with this shows that what he wants is flawed, but neither he nor the builder is apparently aware of it.

Reynard, I've looked at it again and I'm unrepentant. Bespoke, craftsmanship...say what you like. In 2021 its a bad boat. It should have been binned at the the design concept.

Of course the wife of the owner will be delighted with it. She's bored of looking at the side of the ferry, moored opposite in the only deep water available, in one of Europe's filthy post industrial deep water ports. She was so expecting St Tropez, when she heard 'super yacht' she'll be thrilled to be actually on the water, 5 miles up the coast off a beach in the sun. Which is all it'll be used for, or going ashore at Monaco, from being stuck out in the bay. If we're lucky it will just end top stuck in the hold: these owners only turn up once a year to their offshore tax address. Entoombed keeping the engines running perfectly may well prove the biggest challenge for the crew.

I could scrape the money together and afford one. But I wouldn't spend 750,000 on what is basically a single chine hull on stringers. I would also be put off by the teak. Either it's old growth (not much left) cleared to make way for Palm Oil or plantation teak, reducing biodiversity, reducing Orangutan habitat (have you seen them being beaten out of the trees) and leading to more soil erosion or it's plantation teak which is less hard, less durable and less stable. I would also be concerned that it wasn't Resorcinol glued, the only adhesive I'd trust with teak, as GFlex is too new to know if that will last 50 years. I'm guessing that Cockwell's didn't fancy the clean up or clamping it without voids. And this is before I've even thought about the 'air miles' shifting teak and other tropical hardwoods to the UK, half way around the world. If that teak was legit, you'd never really know if it was illegal and just stamped. And this is to Cornwall. A county quite capable of building a decent boat from local woods. I see no cleared Cornish woodland being replaced with Palm oil plantations.

So it's a short range water taxi. In absolute terms it's size, weight and 1000hp isn't necessary to do that. The ongoing emissions per mile are enormous. The owner and by default the builders are complicit with it's negative impact on the climate both in build and in use and can expect castigation. In this age of climate change we have to question our own choices: how can we reduce our impact while still living reasonably. It's also perfectly reasonable to question the decisions of others, when their choices are also affecting me, an Australian, another American, and Orangutan's home or a Kangaroo getting burn't.

It's a an unfortunate paradox that an object designed to give an two people pleasure, made mostly from wood, is in its use directly contributing to climate change which will have a detrimental negative impact on other tree species through drought, flooding and fires, never mind the affect on human and animal life. A planing hull form can't be repurposed easily with moderate electric hp and run efficiently at semi displacement speeds either. Reynard, in case your deluded, along side a quay, people aren't coveting such a boat in 2021, they're staring at you thinking '...what a prick'.

We don't as a society tolerate theft or graffiti. We don't tolerate people with money speeding in Bentley's. So why should we continue to tolerate unjustifiable environmental vandalism in 2021?

Wealthy individuals have a duty and ability to enable change by being early adopters. I have many friends with electric Range Rovers capable of getting to the shop and back only. But they put up with it. In this case however an electric installation charged from the ship's generator using heavy fuel oil, would still be no solution.

The relative and absolute cost of that boats environmental impact is high for it's function. As high as it could be. Sure employment, it may have got them through Covid (if they've sold one) but they haven't regretfully agreed to build it quietly for some Russian and shove it out the door, they're promoting this and want to sell more. Isn't the absolute environmental cost a large part of a new boat's integrity these days?
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 09-06-2021 at 12:11 PM.

Edward, you do make a large amount of assumptions about the person who commissioned this boat and what they will be using it for.

The relative and absolute cost of the environmental impact of your many friends buying electric Range Rovers just to go to the shops is high for the function.

If a superyacht owner should use a small, modest tender to get to the shops then surely your many friends should be using pushbikes? The fuel consumption is only a small part of the overall environmental impact.

Oh, and by the way:

RR.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    ... But for the time being Im not going to criticize somebody for spending their coin on something that makes them happy and employs some very talented young men.
    I'm fully with Reynard on this.

In truth were i to drop this kind of coin on a boat I’d most likely go for a Nortec Monte Carlo 36. Wood doesn’t do well in the climate here, and we use the boat year round. Outboards are easier to service.
    Come to think of it I might go further “downmarket” and go for a Phantom Speed Skiff 32. Less upholstery to cover and keep clean.
    I also thing Nortech and Phantom know a lot more about high speed hull design, especially in rough water.

But for the time being I’m not going to criticize somebody for spending their coin on something that makes them happy and employs some very talented young men.
    Right, but where do we draw the line when the end result is.......

36563419_10156516828118485_5122256530686607360_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    This is a boat forum not a philosophy seminar. Review the goddam boat!

What a laugh! The commentator on the video admiringly says, "....the way she sits in the water..." while the video shows her running with the bow up in the air and pounding; looks lubberly.

It's a boat that will give uncomfortable, substandard performance in rough going. This is the bottom line, not the societal impact of the project. The fool who buys her is throwing his money away, but at least some folks received wages from that. The boat will seldom be operated so the fuel used may have little negative impact.

The builder says that the whole point of having a custom boat is you get what you want. Whoever came up with this shows that what he wants is flawed, but neither he nor the builder is apparently aware of it.
    She is not pounding particularly badly, and I doubt that her owners will take her out in rough water. She is not intended for the Cowes Torquay power boat race. Anyone knows how lumpy it gets in the Med, as that is where I expect her to be used.
    If they wanted to market the boat for UK waters, like the ultra rich of Sangbanks, they would have gone for a deeper V design of hull.
    Last edited by Peerie Maa; 09-06-2021 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Wrong bit of the south coast

Way too many people have the position that we as a human species have to live with zero negative effect on the planet. Aint going to happen on this planet. Every creature shares in this eco system and will have negative effects unless equivalently balanced by other species. The constant balancing of that is what makes some eco systems fully self sustaining. The early inhabitants seemed to be sustaining but mostly because they were of small number relative to those that wanted to use the same habitat. History is full of failed societies who failed this requirement. We in the USA have enjoyed a long period of success mostly because we had the liberty to use what we wanted because there was always plenty more out there to be had by moving on. No more, but the realization of that fact is having a difficult time sinking in.

What this has to do with boats is the individuals wishes and my thoughts are irrelevant .

In truth were i to drop this kind of coin on a boat I’d most likely go for a Nortec Monte Carlo 36. Wood doesn’t do well in the climate here, and we use the boat year round. Outboards are easier to service.
    Come to think of it I might go further “downmarket” and go for a Phantom Speed Skiff 32. Less upholstery to cover and keep clean.
    I also thing Nortech and Phantom know a lot more about high speed hull design, especially in rough water.
    A cruising boat of my design resides on Saint Helena Island, SC and has weathered many years of the sun and rain. Its plywood and protected by reasonable modern stuff to keep it afloat but the owner has to devote more time in upkeep than a well designed plastic boat. The design attempts to minimize the wasteful imprint but nothing having to do with boats meets this goal that I am aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Right, but where do we draw the line when the end result is.......

36563419_10156516828118485_5122256530686607360_n.jpg
    You don’t get to “draw a line”. Neither do I, and I would not want to live in a world where either of us could.
    Back when I was 17 I left the Catholic Church and never went back. Our priest was railing against cable TV (a new thing then) providing the playboy channel. My thought was who the hell are you to tell someone what they can watch on TV. I informed my parents over lunch I was never stepping foot in church again, and expect for a few funerals and weddings I have not.
    I feel no different on the subject of boats and cars. I appreciate the beauty of a friends Concordia 41 as much as an MTI 42 with 2 Merc 1550’s. Both are at the top of the pyramid for what they are and I’d happily spend time on either one. The owners of each love their craft, worked hard to be able to own and maintain them. In my world nobody has the right to inhibit their recreation.
    And before the environmental aspects get drug into this the amount of fuel consumed in the grand scheme of things is infinitesimally small. Most boats are used so infrequently and then for such short durations it doesn’t factor in. We’d do a LOT better by tele-working and getting cars off the road during daily commutes.
    Also have you ever flown over a major city at night? Every light on at 2am in every big building? Talk about a waste.
    On and for a point of reference a typical taxi out from the gate to the runway in the jet I fly consumes 58 gallons of Jet A, and we taxi out on just one engine to save fuel! That would just about fill the 60 gallon tank in my boat and run it at cruising speed for 6 hours.

She is not pounding particularly badly, and I doubt that her owners will take her out in rough water. She is not intended for the Cowes Torquay power boat race. Anyone knows how lumpy it gets in the Med, as that is where I expect her to be used.
    If they wanted to market the boat for UK waters, like the ultra rich of Sandbanks, they would have gone for a deeper V design of hull.
    Edited to add
    I suspect that this:

will pound your fillings loose in anything over a light chop. But I don't hear anyone slagging off Chris Craft.
    Last edited by Peerie Maa; 09-06-2021 at 03:19 PM.

I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

As far as I know absolutely nobody airfreights baulks of teak around the globe.Which sort of deflates the reference to airmiles and teak.As for profligate use of fuel,a weekend of amateur golf probably sees more fuel consumed in getting to the venues than a thousand superyacht tenders use in a decade.I don't criticise the golfers or the superyacht owners or indeed the owners of electric cars who depend on rare earth metals extracted from the planet in odd corners,remote from democracy or oversight.

If they wanted to market the boat for UK waters, like the ultra rich of Studland, they would have gone for a deeper V design of hull.
    Oh, you mean the National Trust. I wouldn't be calling the inhabitants of Studland village ultra rich but they certainly have to be fairly wealthy to afford the the rent charged by the NT for their holiday homes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studland
    https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/studland-bay

It was part of the Bankes Estate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bankes_family

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickW View Post
    Oh, you mean the National Trust. I wouldn't be calling the inhabitants of Studland village ultra rich but they certainly have to be fairly wealthy to afford the the rent charged by the NT for their holiday homes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studland
    https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/studland-bay

It was part of the Bankes Estate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bankes_family

Nick
    My bad, Sandbanks

My bad, Sandbanks
    In which case, the OP would go down quite well with ex footballers.

Nick

You don’t get to “draw a line”. Neither do I, and I would not want to live in a world where either of us could.
    My question was rhetorical, I was questioning how long mankind can afford to allow those in a privileged position (due to their wealth) to influence climate change choosing instead to hasten the destruction of our world. I desperately hope that will change and limits will be set.

And I do draw a line, a personal line, every single day and every time I turn an ignition switch. I have not flown on a jet plane in 20 years, because it's not necessary. Our home and my office run on solar power about 95% of the time. If I can I row rather than starting the outboard. And usually I can limit car trips to one a week. Yes I miss stuff, but I do what I can to limit my burning of fossil fuel. Of course it's not a lot, but it is what I can do, which to me is much better than doing nothing at all.