Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towing a big(ish) boat with a small(ish) vehicle. What do you use?

Default Towing a big(ish) boat with a small(ish) vehicle. What do you use?

So I really, really want this Chebacco. But I don't really, really think it is a good idea to tow it with this Subaru Forester.

We are a one car family and aim to keep it that way. The boat and trailer weigh just under 2,000 pounds. The trailer is solid, but does not have brakes. How hard is it to add them?

We're due for a new (to us) car and are trying to decide on something that balances high reliability, with towing capacity, fuel economy, and being small enough for my wife to feel comfortable driving it.

All SUVs say that any trailer over 1,000 pounds needs trailer brakes. We think we've narrowed the choices down to a Toyota Highlander which can tow 5,000 pounds, but has awful fuel economy at about 23mpg. And a Subaru Outback which can tow only 2,700 pounds but gets 28mpg. (Of course without towing a trailer.) We will likely tow less than ten miles a fair bit and maybe twice a year go about 200 miles to the Salish Sea.

What's been your experience towing? What kind of vehicles do you use? Do you have trailer brakes?

Thanks,
    -Bruce
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

Default Re: Towing a big(ish) boat with a small(ish) vehicle. What do you use?

It depends... You might be just fine.

"The Subaru Forester has a towing capacity from 1500 lbs and 2400 lbs depending on the trim and model year.All towing capacities are braked capacities. This means that the trailer being towed has a braking system installed to assist the vehicle braking system. The towing capacities for trailers without brakes will be much less. Confirm all towing capacities with the owner's manual."

My 2017 Honda Pilot with AWD has a baseline towing capacity of 3500lbs, 5000 with a tow package consisting of a hitch and an oil cooler for the transmission. There's no mention of the need for brakes on the trailer on any of the literature I've seen. 22 mpg around the island, 27 on the open road. But for what you are talking about I think your Subaru will be fine if not driven too hard. But then I trailered 1000 pounds of motorcycle and trailer from Chicago to Seattle behind a Toyota Tercel...

Adding brakes to the trailer will depend on the axle. First you will need mounting points for the calipers, they may or may not be on the trailer already. After that ii is a matter of sourcing a kit that fits the wheel size and wiring it in. Lots of options to choose from on the internet.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Re. trailer brakes.... I have a plastic cuddy cabin boat on a trailer that was fitted with drum type surge brakes when I bought it. I had these redone with new calipers etc shortly after. I think they lasted about three dunks into the salt water. There is simply no way to wash them out with fresh water short of disassembly. So I gave up on them and only tow for very short distances with my Eurovan. I would suggest that disc brakes might be very much better.

Jeff

I know it's been discussed here before but there's a huge difference between the towing capacities of similar cars in the US and in Europe.

Depending on the model, in the UK the Subaru Forester is rated with a towing capacity of between 500 kgs and 750 kgs (1,100 to 1,650lbs) for unbraked trailers and between 1,500 kgs and 2,000 kgs (3,300 lbs to 4,400 lbs) for braked trailers. The link below gives and idea of UK towing capacities for the Forester by model and year:

http://www.towingcapacity.co.uk/car-...baru-forester/

For what it's worth, I understand that 750kgs is the maximum legal weight in the UK for an unbraked trailer which is probably why that's shown as the maximum capacity. The rule is either 750kgs or half the towing vehicle's curbside weight (which may be why some of the earlier Foresters, which were perhaps a bit lighter, have a lower unbraked trailer capacity).

I suspect that the US spec cars are going to be just as capable at towing as the Euro spec ones so the car should have no problem pulling a 2,000 lbs trailer. Whilst you are kind of pushing the limit per the UK regulations for an unbraked trailer, on the basis that these will still have a solid safety margin built in I reckon the Forester will be fine.

If you're worried about the weight on an unbraked trailer on longer distance trips then empty the boat's contents into the car, strap the spars on the car's roof etc. You'll get the weight down.

In the UK the Outback has a towing capacity of up to 2,000 kgs. It'd barely notice pulling 2,000 lbs. Personally I'd go for the Outback.

Lovely looking boat by the way...
    Last edited by AndanteEd; 09-05-2021 at 02:34 PM.

I towed a similar sized boat and trailer with a Chrysler minivan, no trailer brakes, 3.5 liter engine. 20 to 23 mpg.

You are going to find it hard to maximize both mpg and safe towing capacity without brakes, unless you are willing to go only short distances.

Towing a trailer without brakes unless the load is less than maybe 1000lbs or under 20-25 mph is just Texas.

There is an over the counter flushing system for trailer brakes. Once I installed that (and use it religiously) along with "bearing buddies" I have not changed brakes, brake parts or bearings in over 20 years now. (I do inspect them) Not much to it, easy to make one up. When it is hooked up and the hose is running full blast I slowly move the trailer one revolution of the wheels, and then back again to flush the salt out.
    https://www.westmarine.com/buy/tie-d...rakes--4565958

(I have "surge brake" hydraulic actuator and use DOT5 silicon fluid which does not absorb water from the atmosphere. After a lifetime of brake repairs and especially on "vintage" cars, the largest failure mode is rust in the bottom of the cylinders. That all stopped when I switched over to dot5. I use it (and label it) in everything I own except my wife's newish car)

Another vote for brakes on the trailer. Do you want something that weighs 2/3 of your car pushing you when making a panic stop? I don't - nor do I want you behind me or in the oncoming lane.

My 2 cents.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Interested in what turns up in this discussion as I face about the same choices, come spring, with my new build. My elderly Toyotoa Matrix, which pulls Fire-Drake just fine, will not likely cut it for the CoPogy . . .
    Alex

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.
    - Vincent van Gogh

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

I regularly tow our Squib keelboat, all up weight about 2,000lbs or a little more, behind my Ford Mondeo, but we have over-run brakes on the trailer.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Yep. You might be surprised by how little vehicle you can get away with to tow something. Stopping something--especially quickly and safely--is another issue.
    Get trailer brakes.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Another thing to consider will be the type of ramps you’ll be launching and retrieving from. A well configured, not terribly steep ramp with a corrugated concrete surface might be easy for a vehicle with low ground clearance and limited break over height. Along the Maine coast it is often necessary to launch from rustic, bohemian ramps, and for those am happy to have a four wheel drive pickup even though over the road, the pickup sometimes feels like overkill.

Personally I prefer a diesel engine for towing. I tow 2 boats, the larger one is a 5.2m long motor launch that weighs 820kg combined with its (braked) trailer. I tow behind a Vw Passat Alltrack which has a 2 litre turbo diesel engine and all wheel drive - I use approx 10 litres/100km when towing and 6 litres/100km when driving without Bella on behind. I have considered a Mitsibushi Pajero diesel but prefer to avoid large 4wd if I can. I find that if I accelerate and brake (especially) moderately then towing is easy. The larger tow vehicle definitely helps stability and also a well balanced trailer with the correct towball weight.

Quote Originally Posted by neil.henderson View Post
    Personally I prefer a diesel engine for towing. I tow 2 boats, the larger one is a 5.2m long motor launch that weighs 820kg combined with its (braked) trailer. I tow behind a Vw Passat Alltrack which has a 2 litre turbo diesel engine and all wheel drive - I use approx 10 litres/100km when towing and 6 litres/100km when driving without Bella on behind. I have considered a Mitsibushi Pajero diesel but prefer to avoid large 4wd if I can. I find that if I accelerate and brake (especially) moderately then towing is easy. The larger tow vehicle definitely helps stability and also a well balanced trailer with the correct towball weight.
    Ah - you get a decent selection of diesels. The Alltrack is not available with a diesel in the US - just a 1.8 Turbo direct injection gas engine. A decent engine for sure, but VW only offers FWD diesels here.

What Kevin said in #11.

You can tow the Chebacco with a surprisingly modest rig. Stopping it is another matter. I'd certainly want to add the trailer brakes. I've had good experiences with Curtis Trailer, locally. Not the cheapest in town, but real pros. Get their opinion, then get a quote for adding the brakes, and an in-cab controller.

My personal rule of thumb is to try to keep tows to 80-85% of rated capacity. I take the boat weight, the trailer weight, and a generous allowance for the gear that accumulates aboard and the food/gear/liquids that get stowed for any outing. In your case, I'd aim for a tow rating of 3,500#.

If you're talking a new vehicle... lots of options that'll be rated at 3,500#. My first look would be at a Toyota Highlander Hybrid AWD. My kids have one, and love it. Toyota reliability and long-term hybrid systems experience. And if you want to buy used (as I usually do... 2-3 years old is my ideal), they've been around long enough, you can probably find one.

If you prefer diesels... or want a truck... maybe a Chevy Colorado Crewcab diesel? Not as solidly reliable as a Toyota, but not terrible either, from what I hear.

Good Luck! I've been most grieved to have to turn down your messabout invitations, but I am isolating as much as possible. I can't afford to take more risks than living with two health-care professionals already accrues. But I very much look forward to seeing you and your new Chebacco (a marvelous design) sometime down the line.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Thanks for the input folks. I talked to two other people off-line.

One has a manual transmission Jeep rated for 3500 pounds of towing- no trailer brakes. He reported that towing a Chebacco has been just fine.

Another friend with similar sized boat reports similar results, but recommended trailer brakes.

Given that, I'm leaning towards the newer Subaru and I see trailer brakes, and maybe a new trailer in my future.

-Bruce
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

Here's a 3500 lb axle with brakes - just attach & add wheels/tires - $400

https://thetrailerpartsoutlet.com/pr...oaAlgoEALw_wcB

Many trailer axles already have provisions to add brakes.
    Just look underneath at the existing trailer and note if it has the 4 bolt flange the backing plate fastens to

edit: most states require trailer brakes after a certain weight, like #1500, so the trailers are usually assembled with this provision on the axle.

03739EE1-A2A5-4F7B-BF46-998DB1F53A6F.jpg

My tow package weighs 2200 pounds, and I tow it with a 4,000-pound Volvo wagon, which as all-wheel-drive. No problems whatsoever. The 3-liter 6 cyl. engine has more than enough power. I told the dealer I wanted brakes on the trailer and he talked me out of it. After 2 years, I think he was right. If you're launching into salt water, the brakes don't last long. The same dealer laughed at the notion that stainless disc brakes are the answer to this problem.

My previous boat and trailer weighed almost twice the what the current one does, and brakes were essential on that setup. But yes, the first set rusted out and the entire system had to be replaced. The tow vehicle then was a Nissan Xterra, which weighed about the same as the boat and trailer.

At any rate, you need to buy that boat and the Outback will do the job.
    -Dave

Forester or Outback, either will do that, short runs and the odd long one with care.
    My only question for you would be around insurance.
    If the manufactures book says 750kg (1650 lb) unbraked which they do where I live (NZ) and you have an accident then you run the risk of wearing the cost yourself.
    Braked we have a rating of 1800 kg (4000 lb) on the forester and 2000 kg (4400 lb out the OB.
    Z
    PS nice boat. Wish we had some more down here,

Look into a RAV 4 hybrid. We just got a new one at the beginning of August and a week later took off on a round-trip from Maryland to Maine. Put 1700 miles on the car and averaged 42 miles per gallon. I’ve mounted a trailer hitch but haven’t towed anything yet so far, only use it for a bike rack. The car is smaller and cheaper than a Highlander and gets better mileage. I think you’re towing package is well within its capability. We got the vehicle primarily because my wife hated the visibility in our Prius. She loves this car. She’s 5 foot 1 1/2 inches tall and between its Blindspot monitoring and general overall good visibility she feels very comfortable driving it.
    Proud but humble member of the LPBC

A friend towed a Chebacco from Leeuwarden to the Morbihan, 1200 km In guess, with a Renault Kangoo, braked trailer, and another one uses a Skoda with a 1.2 l diesel engine with a homemade trailer for his recently launched Chebacco.
    Here of is much cheaper to buy a good braked trailer then a dynasaur sized car.
    In Watercraft hou will find my article about last Chebacco
    Frank

For those of you with brakes on your boat trailer: How do you deal with salt water? What type of brakes do you have? Electric, surge, drum, disc,.............

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    For those of you with brakes on your boat trailer: How do you deal with salt water? What type of brakes do you have? Electric, surge, drum, disc,.............

Jeff
    I don't have brakes on a boat trailer, but have friends in Maine who do & launch in salt water. Most use the system Jake talks about in post #7. Hosing down the whole trailer is a good idea as well. Obviously, here on Lake Champlain it's a non-issue.

*Just a note about tow vehicles
    Semi trucks weigh about 10-15k lbs and tow a trailer that weighs 65-65k for a total of 80k lbs...
    Now, there is a difference in the geometry of the tow point (king pin) on a semi and a car or pick-up but with a short overhang (past the c/l of rear axle) you can get away with quite a bit of weight difference. It comes down to the strength of the hitch attachment. Pick-up's are notoriously light in the rear and often a lot of overhang anyway. Which is only one of the reasons I switched to an SUV. I often tow more than twice the weight of my tow vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    A friend towed a Chebacco from Leeuwarden to the Morbihan, 1200 km In guess, with a Renault Kangoo, braked trailer, and another one uses a Skoda with a 1.2 l diesel engine with a homemade trailer for his recently launched Chebacco.
    Here of is much cheaper to buy a good braked trailer then a dynasaur sized car.
    In Watercraft hou will find my article about last Chebacco
    Frank
    I actually read that article yesterday.I still find it a bit baffling that Americans seem to "need" a humongous vehicle to tow a modest boat.I also struggle to understand the braking systems on American trailers compared to the over-run brakes we more usually see.My 2 litre diesel car has a max towing weight of 1650Kg and for those of you with an attachment to older units of weight that is a bit over 3600lbs.We do have hills in Europe and one of my Dutch friends lives near the Maastricht mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    I actually read that article yesterday.I still find it a bit baffling that Americans seem to "need" a humongous vehicle to tow a modest boat.I also struggle to understand the braking systems on American trailers compared to the over-run brakes we more usually see.My 2 litre diesel car has a max towing weight of 1650Kg and for those of you with an attachment to older units of weight that is a bit over 3600lbs.We do have hills in Europe and one of my Dutch friends lives near the Maastricht mountain.
    We call "overrun" "surge". Many boat trailers here have surge brakes.

One reason for larger vehicles here is because police here will annoy people with a non-"normal" towing setup. Well then there's the lower skill drivers, but...

We had a local cop here (a friend of an employee) want to borrow one of our trailers (with a tractor on it) I was asked to supervise the hook up to the guys (large) pick up and when they had it all hooked up I told him "You can't take that rig". He was pretty puffed up and said "you're telling me I can't drive that?" and then asked "why not?" I said in California "any combination of vehicles over 15,000 lbs requires a Class A (CDL) and we can't accept the liability." He studied his boots for a minute, not knowing where this was going when I suggested that we just tow the tractor to his job site.

Local cops rarely know about much about commercial vehicle law, which includes the Highway patrol with the exception of the commercial division. Those guys had an expression "Pulling him through the wing window" which implied seriously hassling the driver. But for the most part they don't mess with working drivers unless they are really screwing up.

After a lifetime of being hassled by local cops for trivial nonsense, and being an argumentative bastid on a good day, I just couldn't resist

Quote Originally Posted by AndanteEd View Post
    I know it's been discussed here before but there's a huge difference between the towing capacities of similar cars in the US and in Europe.

Depending on the model, in the UK the Subaru Forester is rated with a towing capacity of between 500 kgs and 750 kgs (1,100 to 1,650lbs) for unbraked trailers and between 1,500 kgs and 2,000 kgs (3,300 lbs to 4,400 lbs) for braked trailers. The link below gives and idea of UK towing capacities for the Forester by model and year:

http://www.towingcapacity.co.uk/car-...baru-forester/

For what it's worth, I understand that 750kgs is the maximum legal weight in the UK for an unbraked trailer which is probably why that's shown as the maximum capacity. The rule is either 750kgs or half the towing vehicle's curbside weight (which may be why some of the earlier Foresters, which were perhaps a bit lighter, have a lower unbraked trailer capacity).

I suspect that the US spec cars are going to be just as capable at towing as the Euro spec ones so the car should have no problem pulling a 2,000 lbs trailer. Whilst you are kind of pushing the limit per the UK regulations for an unbraked trailer, on the basis that these will still have a solid safety margin built in I reckon the Forester will be fine.

If you're worried about the weight on an unbraked trailer on longer distance trips then empty the boat's contents into the car, strap the spars on the car's roof etc. You'll get the weight down.

In the UK the Outback has a towing capacity of up to 2,000 kgs. It'd barely notice pulling 2,000 lbs. Personally I'd go for the Outback.

Lovely looking boat by the way...

My 2004 Honda CR-V is/was rated with a 1,200 pound towing capacity here in the USA. At that time, Honda made the CR-V in two places: Japan and the UK.

THe UK manual for the same model year vehicle listed the towing capacity as 1,200 kilograms (2,640 pound, or 220% higher).

I suspect the delta has less to do with engineering and more to do with the number of attorneys in the USA, and the number of liability lawsuits filed per annum in the USA.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Some vehicles have plenty of horsepower up front for heavy loads, but pretty flimsy sheet metal at the back end, putting the limit on what they are rated to tow.
    -Dave

I suspect the delta has less to do with engineering and more to do with the number of attorneys in the USA, and the number of liability lawsuits filed per annum in the USA.
    Or the number of models that are available to certain countries. In the US they probably make a larger, more expensive model, that suffers on fuel economy. No market for that in the UK. It is possible to fit heavier spindles/axles, springs and brakes to almost any model.

I noticed that with trucks, they would all look the same through a certain model, but for a given GVW the frames are often thicker steel and/or a different (stronger) alloy, the axles are heavier, and the brakes are larger along with heavier springs. The different alloys available in the frames surprised me, sometimes three or more variations. You can have two frames that are identical in dimensions and one is almost double the strength. (Because we are often altering the length and suspension on frames, building dump-trucks, for towing and off road service this is important information for welding procedure. It will be listed through the vin number by the manufacturer, generally all you have to do is ask.

For an alternate solution, although one that might not work for all situations, a U-Haul pickup rental makes a great, inexpensive tow vehicle. Every time I start thinking I should get a larger SUV or pickup (neither of which I want or generally need) I run the numbers and renting a U-Haul truck a few times a year always comes out ahead in all areas. Convenience, cost, everything. There is a cut off point of rental time and mileage where the rental option stops making sense but it's pretty high. A five-day, 400 mile round trip (for example) would cost around $600.00 with all of the fees, insurance, etc. Which seems like a lot ("$600 just to tow a boat? You gotta be kidding me!") but it's many thousands of dollars less than the cost of a tow vehicle if that vehicle is not also ideal for daily use.

So Bruce, you might think about buying something that is more suitable for your daily needs (dare I say maybe electric?) and renting a few times a year for boat towing. It might be less expensive, more economical, more environmentally sound, and better suited to what your wife wants to drive. And instead of a marginal tow vehicle that is also not an ideal daily driver, you can drive a great big full size American pickup truck for towing and a comfortable car for commuting, shopping, whatever.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    My 2004 Honda CR-V is/was rated with a 1,200 pound towing capacity here in the USA. At that time, Honda made the CR-V in two places: Japan and the UK.

THe UK manual for the same model year vehicle listed the towing capacity as 1,200 kilograms (2,640 pound, or 220% higher)......
    Sorry to be a pedant, but 2640lb is 1440lb higher than 1200lb, or 120% more.

The maximum towing weight with a car in the UK is purely that given by the manufacturer. There is guidance by some of no more than 50% of towing vehicle weight if inexperienced or no more than 85% otherwise..

However some vehicles have a much larger, maximum towing weight. The Land Rover 110 has a maximum towing weight of 3500Kg but it itself weighs at most 1495kg..

I now have a Landrover 110 , but in the past have towed 3/4 of a ton of boat and trailer from the outer Hebridies to Norfolk behind a 1300cc car.. 4 wheel braked trailer.. no problem..
    The problem was steep slippery slipways, which required keeping the car on the flat and using the anchor rope to pull the trailer and boat up the slipway.

Brakes in the sea on that one, hose down the trailer and hubs as soon as possible, rebuild the brakes cleaning them almost every time.. I always carried a set of bearings and tin of grease with the correct tools. and checked the hub temperature every so often..

Currently, I have almost finished rebuilding a trailer, I've kept it so with boat on board, it will be below 750Kg, so no brakes to rebuild. Most of the time, there is a club crane to drop the boat in with anyway..

Oh on the Land Rover I've fitted a front tow ball, not many vehicles can do this, but it's a darn sight better than peering over your shoulder or using mirrors to see where the trailer is going when manouvering .
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    suspect the delta has less to do with engineering and more to do with the number of attorneys in the USA, and the number of liability lawsuits filed per annum in the USA.

or maybe in the us its limited by the GVWR with a reasonable load in the vehicle? 2004 crv = 4320lbs. Empty weight 3300lbs. 20% trailer tongue load of your uk max would be 530lbs, leave you only 490lbs for driver, pax, fuel and gear. Us max trailer load 240lb tongue gives you 780lb of pax and gear.