Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom powerboat from the UK.

Default Re: Custom powerboat from the UK.

I have a friend who drives superyacht tenders as part of her day job and who looks good in a bikini. Do I sense an opportunity for her here? Should she apply to Cockwells for a job as a demonstrator?7

Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 09-07-2021 at 11:55 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

The rich are very rich...and the boat on the OP is disgusting and obscene,imo.
    I made a livin workin on yachts too, regular folks yachts.
    eff this crap man

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    The rich are very rich...and the boat on the OP is disgusting and obscene,imo.
    I made a livin workin on yachts too, regular folks yachts.
    eff this crap man
    How is the weather up on that pedestal?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

I don’t understand the venomous response here to a boat which is a big runabout in the long tradition of big runabouts.

My comment was directed at the sexism of the video with a swimsuited girl passenger and a man driving, and whilst I have never been interested in superyacht tenders and high horsepower runabouts this seems a perfectly nice one, of its type.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I can't blame people for feeling bolshy when they see such wretched excess, but at least the owner spent this money on employing shipwrights instead of buying political influence. And you know, we've had a lot of pictures of high-powered runabouts on the forum that didn't get this reaction.

Consider this thread: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...or-the-BR%D4TM
    or this: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-driver-s-view
    or this: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...aby-Bootlegger

Is the problem that it is neither old nor a replica?

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    My question was rhetorical, I was questioning how long mankind can afford to allow those in a privileged position (due to their wealth) to influence climate change choosing instead to hasten the destruction of our world. I desperately hope that will change and limits will be set.

And I do draw a line, a personal line, every single day and every time I turn an ignition switch. I have not flown on a jet plane in 20 years, because it's not necessary. Our home and my office run on solar power about 95% of the time. If I can I row rather than starting the outboard. And usually I can limit car trips to one a week. Yes I miss stuff, but I do what I can to limit my burning of fossil fuel. Of course it's not a lot, but it is what I can do, which to me is much better than doing nothing at all.
    No surprise, I agree with Tad here. If we can't "draw a line" as a society then we can't do anything at all. And in fact we draw lines all the time. You can't sell cigarettes and beer to children. You can't run red lights. You can't pour your used motor oil into the municipal water supply. There are all sorts of things that people can't do because they are bad for other people, or for society as a whole, and it's absurd to argue that those restrictions constitute an unreasonable infringement on someone's freedom. So it's entirely reasonable to ask whether some use of global resources, or some contribution to our environmental impact, is acceptable.

Do I think we should mandate that everyone should be limited to the lowest common denominator? We should all be wearing hemp sandals and sailing biodegradable boats made of compressed mushrooms? No, of course not. But neither can we abdicate our responsibility to draw some lines somewhere.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!