Thread: A good old canoe

Default A good old canoe

I hope the Forum will allow me to speak of something not made of wood.
    Since this is Misc. Boat Related, I feel I may indulge.
    Besides, having built 18 wooden boats, perhaps you will allow me to stray just this once.
    This thread has more to do with a relationship with a boat rather then the boat itself.

Back in the summer of 1971, I was an 18 year old kid fresh out of high school and headed to college. Living in the Adirondack Mountains of New York State, I bought a 14' fiberglass canoe and a ten speed bike to help enjoy the summer.
    Within a year I had sold the bike, but 50 years later, that old canoe is still with me.
    It followed me to college, paddled the lakes of the Adirondacks, took a trip to the coastal waters of Maine, paddled the waves of Lake Champlain, then the waters of Long Island Sound and now travels the lakes of Vermont.
    It was there to welcome my wife into my life and my kids grew up learning to paddle it.
    Patched and painted a few times, it has followed me everywhere I go.
    It is seldom used nowadays, but it's always ready for the next lake.
    It's been a good old canoe.

IMG_2747.jpg
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Default Re: A good old canoe

Thanks for this, Rich.
    I still have, and use regularly, the first two boats I built close to thirty years ago, a plywood pram and a strip canoe.
    The old friends are the best ones.

That is a nice story. Glad you have been able to hang onto it and enjoy it all these years.

I hung onto a boat, (like a Sunfish but with a sloop rig) from the build in 1963 to 2019 when my dodgy hip would not allow me to sit on it for long enough. Went to a family where it is well used.
    I still miss it.

IMG_2018.jpgin this photo,wife has been with me for 29 years the canoe 27 and my daughter 25.

Quote Originally Posted by fishing View Post
    IMG_2018.jpgin this photo,wife has been with me for 29 years the canoe 27 and my daughter 25.
    Looks a lot like the lakes I use now. That is a beautiful picture.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

This is the first thing I ever bought with the advance money we got for recording our Elektra album in 1972 - custom built keel-less. It's been worked on quite a bit on the outside over the years, but the interior still wears its original varnish. I took it out a couple of weeks ago and after about 20 minutes of proper kneeling for solo paddling my knees were hurting. I decided to get up and sit on the bow seat, running the boat stern first. As I sat down there was a nasty crunch and the 50 year old cane on the bow seat blew out. At this age, I do a lot more using the stuff than I do building/rebuilding, but there is always something that needs work.

guide2-a01.jpg

This was our family canoe growing up, father fiber-glassed it, first picture is from the early 1970's, it took a lot of hard use from us kids, when I eventually got some skill in repairing these things, I took it on and fixed it back up. It was built in WW2, all steel fasteners.

oldtown.jpg

OldTownCanoe8.jpg

oldtowncanoe16.jpg