Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Caledonia Yawl build downunder

Default Re: Caledonia Yawl build downunder

Neil, I am so sorry you must live in such a depressing environment! It must be such an insult to the eyes to see that in the morning.
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

All the planks are on :-) Whisky consumed :-) And now adding more timber to the bulge in the aft outer stem. Have made (not finished) boxes to cover up the lead ballast I plan to lay either side of the centreboard case. Midshipman D'Arcy is contemplating his responsibilities aboard as his 1st brain cell enlarges............he's a sweety really :-)
    IMG_2697.jpg

IMG_2698.jpg

IMG_2701.jpg

IMG_2702.jpg
    IMG_2696.jpg

Regards Neil
    p.s. temperature here is down to 2 degrees centigrade overnight - boat building makes a great source of kindling :-)

Well done Neil- looking good! You've done a good job of keeping it tidy as you go!

Fantastic!! What will the lead ballast weigh?

Looking great, Neal. Will the "pups" be helping you sail?

Quote Originally Posted by dalekidd View Post
    Fantastic!! What will the lead ballast weigh?
    If I put all 4 pieces of lead in the boat, about 55 kilos - the single ingot in the photograph weighs approx 18 kilos. I believe Iain Oughtred suggests around 120 pounds of ballast if the owner wants to ballast a CY. I am trying to set things up so that I can add/subtract ballast based on weather & crew.

Regards Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Looking great, Neal. Will the "pups" be helping you sail?
    "Helping" is such a subjective term.............................................. ..........................though I have seen dogs who love boats.

Some do, some don't. Some make boon companions and some, well.....

Some more progress progress on the building of Uisge Beatha. Outer stems and keel all shaped & glued on, screw holes plugged & sanded. Just finished running a fillet along the side of the keel this morning. Used Wests filleting powder and a fat dowel (about 23mm diameter) to round the fillet after applying out of the corner of a ziplock bag with the corner cut off. The sander in the photos is what I use to sand the fillets - the pad is soft and the 120 grit sander pad velcro attaches to the pad which makes it very easy. Because the pad bends to easily I can just run the spinning pad along the fillet and bosh, job done as Del Boy would say.IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

Regards Neil

Looking really nice Neil, I'm considering my next build, decisions, decisions!

That Caledonia Yawl is a very big small boat. Looking good!

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Your planking looks good. WTG!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve TN 15 View Post
    Looking really nice Neil, I'm considering my next build, decisions, decisions!
    What about the Whilly Tern Steve - it looks like a nice double ender and I think Peter Widders of NSW WBA built one. I do hanker after a) Somes Sound (John Brooks) or b) Jewell by Francois Vivier.
    When it comes to choice time I make a spreadsheet with all the technical details in it (LOA, beam, sail area, etc.........) - it usually helps.

Regards Neil

Quote Originally Posted by neil.henderson View Post
    What about the Whilly Tern Steve - it looks like a nice double ender and I think Peter Widders of NSW WBA built one. I do hanker after a) Somes Sound (John Brooks) or b) Jewell by Francois Vivier.
    When it comes to choice time I make a spreadsheet with all the technical details in it (LOA, beam, sail area, etc.........) - it usually helps.

Regards Neil
    Yeah I'm considering Jewel and Beniguet (also a Vivier) and the Dix Cape cutter 19 as well as the Oughtred wee seal. I want a cabin sailer that I can stand in without fear of being ceremonially dumped overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve TN 15 View Post
    Yeah I'm considering Jewel and Beniguet (also a Vivier) and the Dix Cape cutter 19 as well as the Oughtred wee seal. I want a cabin sailer that I can stand in without fear of being ceremonially dumped overboard.
    If you are looking at something around 18-21 feet LOA with a cabin & sail (which sounds like a great idea btw) then I'd be tempted to look at boats that include some ballast. I'd love to build one that has water ballast in it to save of towing weight but haven't found a homebuilder design that has this style of ballast yet. I'm going to have about 50kg of removable ballast for the CY - no crew add ballast, with crew leave ballast in car. That's the plan anyway...
    Will be interested to see which design you select.

Regards Neil

Looking like she is coming together nicely.

Yeah Neil, all those boats have lead ballast in the order of 250 to 300 Kg for a total weight of under 1 tonne which is a non issue with my tow vehicle.
    I'm interested in doing some of the RAID trips but I'm past the days of rough camping and want a dry place to spend the night.
    I did find a few with water ballast but discounted them for one reason or another, can't remember what they were.

Light was fading but after all that filling, sealing & sanding I couldn't wait to slap coat of sealer/undercoat on - might be starting to look like a boat....... Photo bombed by D'Arcy....

IMG_2738.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg

IMG_2740.jpg

Only painted 3 planks on port side, so 11 to do tomorrow..............then 2nd coat...............but springtime is great for painting.

Regards Neil

Hard to resist getting that first coat of paint on, isn't it? And D'Arcy the photo bomber is cute. Boat's looking great Neil!

Ken
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.

Nice to see your progress Neil.
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.