Thread: Got steel on your boat? New kind of primer...

Default Got steel on your boat? New kind of primer...

I am just getting around to reading the July edition of MarineLog magazine, and there is an article within entitled, "Reinventing Primer To Prevent Marine Shipping Corrosion". An excerpt:

"Advanced primer converts rust into a protective layer and can be applied by any method, without need to sandblast first.

For the shipping industry, preventing corrosion is a critically important operation and safety issue for fleets, whether tanker, container, dry bulk general cargo, passenger, or RO/RO vessel.

Marine primers represent a critical foundation for paints and coatings in harsh marine environments. However, they have historically been unable to effectively deal with the eventual formation and recurrance of rust. Traditional primers only encapsulate rust until the paint/primer is scratched, chipped, or breached and moisture and oxygen migrate under the film, allowing the corrosion to spread.

Now, however, more advanced primers have been formulated that set a higher performance bar in corrosive environments. These reactive primers go beyond encapsulating rust to instead convert it to a protective material (iron phosphate) to minimize the risk of further corrosion. The chemical bond provides superior adhesion and corrosion protection, while eliminating under-film corrosion."

The article cites NanoRustX (NRX) NanoPrime, but leaves one to imagine that there are competitors out there with similar products. https://www.nanorustx.com/

Thought that this might be of interest to some here.

MMD
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Got steel on your boat? New kind of primer...

Dosen't Ospho convert iron oxide into iron phosphate ?

Years ago I read of something like this with iron, not steel. It was a liquid that caused the iron molecules to bond with chemicals in the coating and once on for a while made the barrier.

(Ooops - Ian got in there between wizbang and my answer ...)

Wizbang: "Dosen't Ospho convert iron oxide into iron phosphate ?"

Yes, but the resulting surface is not a particularly good primer for subsequent paint.

Similar (in theory) to POR-15 for automotive use, Michael ?

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    (Ooops - Ian got in there between wizbang and my answer ...)

Wizbang: "Dosen't Ospho convert iron oxide into iron phosphate ?"

Yes, but the resulting surface is not a particularly good primer for subsequent paint.

But it works really well as a primer for primer. It would be nice to eliminate the extra step, but I'm not ready to give up on my beloved Ospho yet.
    Schooner sailors love to get blown offshore!

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Similar (in theory) to POR-15 for automotive use, Michael ?
    I am not familiar with POR-15, hawkeye, so cannot offer an opinion.

I'll put this in the "too good to be true" folder... It would be great to get to a waterbase coating that is as good as the epoxies or moisture cure urethane (POR15 / Rust Bullet )
    Cheers,
    Mark

Not gonna try to make you take it out of your "too good to be true" folder, Mark, but just to note that the product has been tested by an international Ro/Ro carrier for two years on its top deck, which had suffered significant corrosion during trans-oceanic passages, and has received glowing reports, and for two years by a Staten Island-based tug company moving oil barges along the east coast, the operation of which had left significant gashes on the hull side. The towing vessel captain has reported that "the coating is a significant improvement over previous (priming) methods."

Commercial shipping is a pretty demanding environment for paint systems, and if a Ro/Ro company and a tug-barge company endorses a product, I listen. In fact, I will probably test this on the commercial fishing boats that I am involved with.

oh... that is exciting news !