Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2029303140 ... LastLast
Results 1,016 to 1,050 of 1441

Thread: January 6th Committee

Default Re: January 6th Committee

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Trump's clown show after the election had its funny moments.

I love that clip it's infectious
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    If someone is guilty of the impeachment offense, how is it biased to vote that way?

If he'd shot someone in the middle of 5th Avenue, is it biased to hold him accountable? Or biased to let a guilty guy go free?
    "The policeman should not testify at my trial. He's biased because he arrested me."
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    "The policeman should not testify at my trial. He's biased because he arrested me."
    Well, no one would put the arresting officer on the jury, would they?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    In Impeachment, with is political, and not fact based, the vote is cast on tribal allegiance. What you "know" is not necessarily connected to reality or to the way you cast your voter. It is all bias.
    That's not how it's supposed to work.

I too feel like someone screwed up big time by not sending in reinforcements to the Capital Police as they were being attacked.

Leading up to the riot I saw plenty of news stories which suggested there may be violence on this day, I’m not sure why this caught everyone by surprise. If it was a Democrat who was asleep at the wheel I still want to know about it. If this information is not forthcoming I feel that it will hurt the legitimacy of the committee.

Trump is absolutely guilty (AF!) of inciting the riot. He used all his media platforms in the weeks leading up to the election to repeatedly expound this LIE, over and over.

Not sure why anyone would carry water for such a scumbag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Boy View Post
    I too feel like someone screwed up big time by not sending in reinforcements to the Capital Police as they were being attacked.

Leading up to the riot I saw plenty of news stories which suggested there may be violence on this day, I’m not sure why this caught everyone by surprise. If it was a Democrat who was asleep at the wheel I still want to know about it. If this information is not forthcoming I feel that it will hurt the legitimacy of the committee.

Trump is absolutely guilty (AF!) of inciting the riot. He used all his media platforms in the weeks leading up to the election to repeatedly expound this LIE, over and over.

The people who could authorize the National Guard helping the police were not taken by surprise. See Nick's post #982. They set things up so that no one could stop their mob.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    The people who could authorize the National Guard helping the police were not taken by surprise. See Nick's post #982. They set things up so that no one could stop their mob.

OK, but who’s job is it to request help? Was a request made? Was it documented? Did someone ignore or countermand the request? Even if the National Guard showed up with no weapons it would have been something.

Did you watch any of last night’s hearing? General Milley testified that Mike Pence asked for the deployment of the National Guard.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Exactly.

OK, but who’s job is it to request help? Was a request made? Was it documented? Did someone ignore or countermand the request? Even if the National Guard showed up with no weapons it would have been something.
    The DC [and the Capitol Police] requested DC National Guard support for the planned demonstrations on January 5th and 6th. It was approved by the Secretary of the Army and acting Secretary of Defense. With a few restrictions., to wit:

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Did you not read the memo of 4 January 2021 from TFG's lapdog [acting] Secretary of Defense, Christopher C. Miller, authorizing the deployment of the DC National Guard?

It puts so many restrictions on them that they were useless. The DC National Guard could be deployed, but without the acting Secretary of Defense's express authorization, the DC National Guard units deployed got:

- No weapons, not even a billy club.
    - No riot control agents.
    - No ballistic protection (helmets or body armor).
    - No physical interaction with protestors.
    - No loaning of equipment to law enforcement agencies.
    - No use of intelligence assets.
    - No helos or other air assets.
    - No searches.
    - No seizures.
    - No arrests.
    - No "seeking[ing] support from any non-DCNG National Guard units" — meaning the DCNG couldn't invoke their mutual assistance agreements with Maryland and Virginia, and bring in the Maryland and/or Virginia National Guard to assist.

So yes, while it is technically correct to say that the DC National Guard had been "offered to" [authorized to be deployed in support of] the DC and Capitol police. But so many restrictions were placed upon them that they were fundamentally useless, the equivalent of tour guides in olive drab.

That last paragraph, the one about authorizing the employment of "the DCNG Quick Reaction Force (QRT) only as a last resort and in response to a request from an appropriate civil authority"? The DCNG QRF is likewise a component of the DC National Guard, and so, would have been subject to all of the above restrictions.
    So the DC Guard were off directing traffic.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Thanks for the responses, Canoez and Nicholas. I was only able to watch part of the proceedings last night.

So if I understand correctly It sounds like even if the National Guard was deployed it wouldn’t have been able to do anything... although I wonder if the mere presence of the Guard might have intimidated some of the protesters.

Default January 6th Committee

Thanks for the responses, Canoez and Nicholas. I was only able to watch part of the proceedings last night.

So if I understand correctly It sounds like even if the National Guard was deployed it wouldn’t have been able to do anything... although I wonder if the mere presence of the Guard might have intimidated some of the protesters.

They were deployed all right. Directing traffic, well away from the capitol. All their kit was back at the armory.
    Last edited by Nicholas Carey; 06-11-2022 at 02:32 AM.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Considering the facts that protestors attacking the Capitol were better equipped than the national Guard would have been with protective gear and that they were already facing Capitol police in riot gear, I don’t think they would have been intimidated by badly or un-equipped National Guard personnel.
    Last edited by Canoez; 06-11-2022 at 06:29 AM.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

You do realise that the old Republican Party, the GOP no longer exists? It's been replaced by a very organised gang of criminals bottom to top with a very few hold out's like Liz Cheney, and a whole lot of rusted on dupes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Ive watched that clip more times than I can count. If you really want to cheer yourself up for the day, watch that short clip. Still brings tears of laughter to my eyes.

@ #1023

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    On Thursday night Liz Cheney lied to the American public telling her national audience during congressional testimony that Donald Trump expressed approval to death threats against Vice President Mike Pence.

Cheney told her American audience,

Liz Cheney: “You will hear the president yelling and quote “really angry at advisors who told him he needed to do something more.” And aware of the rioters chants to hang Mike Pence the president responded with this sentiment, quote, “Maybe our supporters have the right idea.”

Among the new revelations at Thursday’s Jan. 6 committee hearing: Direct quotes from Donald Trump expressing approval of threats by supporters to hang Vice President Mike Pence.

“Maybe our supporters have the right idea,” Trump said. https://t.co/vYDOCWYDid pic.twitter.com/jAWqZHDQWO

— USA TODAY (@USATODAY) June 10, 2022

This was ridiculous and hearsay. For one, no one heard about the “hang Mike Pence” chants because there were only a few people saying this. And second, she is declaring something based on ridiculous hearsay.

President Trump this morning came out on Truth Social and confirmed this was another Liz Cheney lie.

Liz Cheney should be charged with lying to Congress. What a disgrace.
    Anyone watching tv that day heard the chant "Hang Mike Pence".
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Not sure why anyone would carry water for such a scumbag
    Especially since he'll not stand by them later.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

At one point, I think when the Capitol policewoman was being attacked, this S bird is yelling at her, "I bet you kept your job during the pandemic!"

How . . . rabble-esque. Like, I spent my last savings on bear spray and a ticket to D.C. That's American rabble.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    yeah, humor sure keeps us from diving of the cliff

Nobody who was paying attention was surprised. It was all over facebook and elsewhere that a major disruption had been planned. People were posting openly about the thing, not to mention Cretans like Bannon boasting openly the very night before about all hell breaking loose It was an utter and disgraceful failure of security at every level since common citizens who don't even play at social media much (that's me) knew there was going to be a riot. So who exactly was in overall charge of security for that day? Pure dereliction of duty or ultimate incompetence? Take your pick. I'm going with dereliction and perhaps, orders from the top.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys
    This was ridiculous and hearsay. For one, no one heard about the “hang Mike Pence” chants because there were only a few people saying this. And second, she is declaring something based on ridiculous hearsay.

President Trump this morning came out on Truth Social and claimed this was another Liz Cheney lie.
    I fixed that for you.

#1) Donald Trump is a proven serial liar.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith
    Anyone watching tv that day heard the chant "Hang Mike Pence".
    Who are you going to believe? Donald Trump or your lying eyes and ears? I heard it as I watched the mob live on TV and I'm saying that's what the mob was chanting.

That is some scumbag, wanna-be, president-for-life you admire, boobys.

Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 06-11-2022 at 11:32 AM.
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

Alvin is such a complete cartoon. He’s using TFG statement that Cheney is a liar when TFG is the most complete pathological liar ever to hold the office. So at this statement TFG is telling the the truth but ignore all the other statements he makes because whatever TFG says at the moment is the truth but that moment disappears you wait for the next truth no matter what was said moments before.
    That is the pathology of Trumpism and the reactionary thinking of people willing to follow a personality over principles.

I'll just put this here:

Louder 1.jpg
    louder 2.jpg
    Louder 3.jpg
    -William A. Ward

This part of that cretin’s threat is morbidly funny: we’re coming in [for you] like white on rice. Gems like this will help make the movie a box office hit.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

-William A. Ward

January 6th Committee to request testimony from Ginni Thomas in relation to her actions regarding the insurrection.
    -William A. Ward

awesome. And not any too soon.

Listening to that former Federal judge speak is painful. He hesitates over every word.
    But those words do carry weight.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Listening to that former Federal judge speak is painful. He hesitates over every word.
    But those words do carry weight.
    I think he's mulling over everything he says very carefully so it is clear and he doesn't make a mistake.

But yeah, painfully slow.
    -William A. Ward

If this doesn't clarify that they *KNEW* what they were doing was illegal, nothing does.
    -William A. Ward

I'm beginning to wonder who is going to charge T**** first - the NY AG, the AG in Georgia, or the DC DOJ.
    -William A. Ward

The hearing was dry at the beginning, though crucial for the lawyers. Dispelled any doubt whatsoever that there was no legal basis for what Eastman proposed to Trump, and that Eastman knew it even as he proposed it. That Eastman had actually developed a draft of the plan in October, and had himself - in writing - critiqued it as not founded in the law.

No doubt either that Trump knew the scheme was illegal - he'd been told so repeatedly, by every conceivable lawyer with whom he had contact. Those folks testified or gave depositions, and others in the room who witnessed conversations between such lawyers and Trump did too. A range of these people absolutely shat on Eastman themselves, whether on the phone or in emails or in person. In Trump's presence.

Hell, on the day of January 6, we have testimony of a conversation between a White House lawyer and Rudy Giuliani, which included Giuliani acknowledging that the notion was garbage. Though a couple of hours later, we had Giuliani on stage at the Ellipse touting it to the rubes, despite knowing that he was telling them lies.

The second half of the hearing was where the personal drama was, though. Details of conversations between Trump and Pence, in which Trump called Pence a wimp and a pussy for refusing to go along with the plan. Previously unseen pictures of Mike Pence after he'd been evacuated to his office, and later once evacuated to the loading dock, as he scrolled through Twitter reading Trump's comments essentially siccing the mob on them. Narrated by Pence's legal advisor (in person) who'd been there, and periodically by deposition testimony by Pence's chief of staff.

We saw pictures of the Oval Office on Jan6 too, with Trump behind the desk, and a scattering of aides and family members (I saw Eric and Ivanka at least) looking agitated, and IMO distraught.

We had excerpts from statements by Proud Boys made on Jan6 in the moment, both written comments entered by the FBI into court documents and excerpts from selfie videos they'd made, describing how they'd have not hesitated at all to kill Pence, or Pelosi, or whoever else fell into their hands.

And we had Eastman's Jan7 email to Giuliani asking that Eastman's name be put on the list for a pardon after all.

Devastating. And frankly, irrefutable. Once again, all these people are Trump's people, high ranking. None of this was some egregious Dem with an axe to grind; the testimony came from the lips of the Administration people themselves.