Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1827282938 ... LastLast
Results 946 to 980 of 1441

Thread: January 6th Committee

  1. #946
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    16,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    Yeah. I don't know if it's telling or not. I noticed at the end of her remarks Ms Cheney used his name without saying 'former president' or even 'mister.' Just trmp.

    When she was done speaking the first time and before she ceded back to the Chairman, I knew this is the real deal. Cheney stated for the official record that trmp committed crimes including sedition and insurrection, inciting and planning. He's guilty. She has the evicence, the testimony and the records, and there is now no way for the Justice Department to do anything but erect a special grand jury and make taking trmp down as a criminal a thing finally. I bet he won't try to flee, and he won't suicide, but he's trapped, he's gotta know it. Finally, finally, finally, the jig, the whole thing, is up and trmp is finally going to go to jail. First time a president* gets charged and tried as a criminal for stuff he did while holding the office.

    It can no longer be a case of opinion as to whether or not trmp gets prosecuted. The US Congress in the form of an official House enquiry has described unassailable proof of trmp's participation in planning and arranging the coup. And Cheney used that word, too. It's all over now for the organge creep.
    "Seditious Conspiracy" has such a nice ring to it does it not?

    Elements of proof required for conspiracy are not high:

    1. There must be an illegal goal.

    2. There must be a "meeting of minds" on the part of 2 or more people to commit said illegal goal. No formal meeting or written agreement is required, just "mutual understanding" and/or "unity of purpose"

    3. The accused must have entered willing into said "meeting of minds" knowing of the illegal goal.

    4. At least one of the parties involved must take some overt action that furthers said illegal goal.

    Here's the 3rd District's jury instructions on the matter.

    https://www.ca3.uscourts.gov/sites/c...ril%202015.pdf
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

  2. #947
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    117,193

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    Liz Cheney is a portrait of patriotism.
    absolutely, just like her father
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  3. #948
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,472

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    The assertion in the first sentence has been shown to be false : https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...troops-jan-6-/ (There are many articles that disprove your assertion.)

    I know that there was concern that TFG would exert control over military elements that might be present at the Capitol on January 6th.

    Also, when help was requested, the approval was delayed by HOURS by the Pentagon and that the SecDef indicated that he and he alone could approve. He'd previously sent out a memo to that effect.

    Attachment 112829

    https://apnews.com/article/general-t...bcdd0def6c2a1a

    General Milli and 4 other people in the room on January 4 confirmed that Trump had authorized the National Guard and was offered to DC and Capitol security. He cannot mandate their deployment under these conditions - it is up to Pelosi and the DC Mayor to actually deploy the troops as needed. I know many put great faith in PolitiFact, but I have seen the statements by 4 of the 5 people in the room when this occurred. I suppose they could all be lying, but for what motive as they would not be responsible either way.

  4. #949
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    30,705

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    I just saw that tucker and hannity didn’t have any commercials on Fox News tonight. They were afraid their viewers would change the channel and watch the truth.
    Interesting observation. I could have seen the same thing, no ads, and not connected the dots the way you did. Will Fox do anything including forfeit ad dollars just to bury the shame?
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

  5. #950
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    19,952

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    General Milli and 4 other people in the room on January 4 confirmed that Trump had authorized the National Guard and was offered to DC and Capitol security. He cannot mandate their deployment under these conditions - it is up to Pelosi and the DC Mayor to actually deploy the troops as needed. I know many put great faith in PolitiFact, but I have seen the statements by 4 of the 5 people in the room when this occurred. I suppose they could all be lying, but for what motive as they would not be responsible either way.
    I'm sure that's what you've read or been told, but there's no truth to it.

    If you can share testimony or actual statement to that facts you claim from a reliable source, I might entertain it, but that has been disproved by multiple sources.

    It is also painfully clear from the SecDef's letter on the 4th that neither Pelosi nor the DC Mayor would have been able to deploy those troops without the authorization of Chris Miller - so it couldn't have been a good-faith offer, now could it? The deployment of the National Guard was delayed by more than 5 hours even with the request of Pence.

    Let's also posit this thought. I can't think of any other previous situation where 10,000 or 20,000 National Guardsmen would be required for a Congressional event of any kind. If T**** DID offer the National Guard to Pelosi and/or DC Mayor Bowser - what would he have had to have known beforehand that would have led him to believe that such a deployment was necessary?
    Last edited by Canoez; 06-10-2022 at 10:29 AM.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  6. #951
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    29,345

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    General Milli and 4 other people in the room on January 4 confirmed that Trump had authorized the National Guard and was offered to DC and Capitol security. He cannot mandate their deployment under these conditions - it is up to Pelosi and the DC Mayor to actually deploy the troops as needed. I know many put great faith in PolitiFact, but I have seen the statements by 4 of the 5 people in the room when this occurred. I suppose they could all be lying, but for what motive as they would not be responsible either way.

    Erm.... wrong. You are certainly a tool! Shame on ya!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  7. #952
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    29,345

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Regarding elf's questions - remember, there's a 'big gap' in documented phone calls, at the time of the riot - and I suspect the Committee has found a way to provide at least some of the content. As well, before Jan 6th, there were secret meetings held by the conspirators. Have to hope that all comes to light.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  8. #953
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    19,952

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Erm.... wrong. You are certainly a tool! Shame on ya!
    Well, at least we know the news sources...
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  9. #954
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Farmington, Oregon
    Posts
    20,046

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    demoralizing to see how a person can be such a dedicated skeptic of shared reality, and so gullible for the manufactured alternative reality.

    is there any way back, when so many mainstream americans have been so thoroughly tampered with.

  10. #955
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,472

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    I'm sure that's what you've read or been told, but there's no truth to it.

    If you can share testimony or actual statement to that facts you claim from a reliable source, I might entertain it, but that has been disproved by multiple sources.

    It is also painfully clear from the SecDef's letter on the 4th that neither Pelosi nor the DC Mayor would have been able to deploy those troops without the authorization of Chris Miller - so it couldn't have been a good-faith offer, now could it? The deployment of the National Guard was delayed by more than 5 hours even with the request of Pence.

    Let's also posit this thought. I can't think of any other previous situation where 10,000 or 20,000 National Guardsmen would be required for a Congressional event of any kind. If T**** DID offer the National Guard to Pelosi and/or DC Mayor Bowser - what would he have had to have known beforehand that would have led him to believe that such a deployment was necessary?
    Requiring further operational authorization (vs authorizing the the troops are on standby) at the time of the is probably pretty pro forma - could you imagine sending them out without their commander saying "Go".

    also there is this below. I don't excuse the rioters, nor does any delay in National Guard excuse any other culpable actions.


    Miller and Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, meet with Trump, according to the Department of Defense. Trump agrees to activate the D.C. National Guard to support D.C. police (not Capitol Police) with crowd and traffic control. The Pentagon later tells Pro Publica, “The President had no role in tactical matters as the capabilities deployed and location were dictated solely by the request from D.C. government.”

    D.C. Police Chief Robert Contee says 340 guardsmen will assist with crowd management and traffic control to free up the city police officers to respond to potential acts of violence and other security issues, according to CNN.

    Jan. 4: Capitol Police again confirms there is no need for DoD support in a phone call with Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, according to the Pentagon. Miller, in consultation with Milley, McCarthy and DoD general counsel, “reviews the Department’s plan to be prepared to provide support to civil authorities, if asked, and approves activation of 340 members of the DCNG to support Mayor Bowser’s request.” The support is mostly for traffic control, crowd control at subway stations and logistics support. Miller also authorizes McCarthy to deploy a “Quick Reaction Force” of 40 National Guard members staged at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland “if additional support is requested by civil authorities.”
    Capitol Police Chief Sund asks the House and Senate sergeant-at-arms about the possibility of placing the D.C. National Guard on standby, in case the Capitol Police needed quick backup. In an interview with the Washington Post published on Jan. 10, Sund says they were hesitant to agree. According to the article, “House Sergeant at Arms Paul Irving said he wasn’t comfortable with the ‘optics’ of formally declaring an emergency ahead of the demonstration, Sund said. Meanwhile, Senate Sergeant at Arms Michael Stenger suggested that Sund should informally seek out his Guard contacts, asking them to ‘lean forward’ and be on alert in case Capitol Police needed their help.” All three officials — Sund, Irving and Stenger — have since resigned.
    Update, Jan. 28: In prepared testimony for her Jan. 26 appearance before a closed session of the House Appropriations Committee – which was obtained by the New York Times — the acting chief of the Capitol Police, Yogananda D. Pittman, confirmed that on Jan. 4 – two days before the riot – “Sund requested that the Capitol Police Board declare a state of emergency and authorize a request to secure National Guard support. The Board denied the request, but encouraged Chief Sund to contact the DC National Guard to determine how many Guardsman could be sent to the Capitol on short notice, which he did.” The Capitol Police Board has three voting members: the House and Senate sergeants-at-arms and the architect of the Capitol. As we noted in our initial report, the House and Senate sergeants-at-arms have since resigned.
    Jan. 5: According to the Pentagon, Mayor Bowser delivers a letter addressed to the U.S. acting attorney general, Miller and McCarthy confirming that there are no additional support requests from the D.C. National Guard. Bowser later says that she already had the support she requested from the National Guard and that any decision to request guard forces to protect the Capitol is not hers. “The Capitol Police and the leadership at the Capitol, they did not make the decision to call in guard support,” Bowser later says in a press conference on Jan. 7. “I cannot order the Army, the National Guard, to the United States Capitol grounds. I can, in the district, with the approval of the secretary of the Army.”

    According to an internal document reviewed by the Washington Post, an FBI office in Virginia issues a warning that extremists are preparing to commit violence in Washington on Jan. 6. According to the bulletin — which Steven D’Antuono, head of the FBI’s Washington field office, said was shared “with all our law enforcement partners” through the joint terrorism task force — “An online thread discussed specific calls for violence to include stating ‘Be ready to fight. Congress needs to hear glass breaking, doors being kicked in, and blood from their BLM and Pantifa slave soldiers being spilled. Get violent. Stop calling this a march, or rally, or a protest. Go there ready for war. We get our President or we die. NOTHING else will achieve this goal.” Sund told the Post he never received nor was made aware of the FBI’s field bulletin.

  11. #956
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    117,193

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    ^ the force is strong with this one
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  12. #957
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    29,345

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Nah.

    Still wrong.... and a 'tool'.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  13. #958
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,472

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Erm.... wrong. You are certainly a tool! Shame on ya!
    I saw the video statements of two people in the room and a confirmation from Miley's office by his spokesperson.


    A shame you have to resort to name calling. You can do better than that.

  14. #959
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    19,952

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    He did offer Pelosi and DC mayor 20,000 National Guard troops on the 4th and 5th. The Chief of the Capitol police tried on several occasions to access this but was not given permission by his boss. Pelosi and the DC mayor declined Trumps offer. That said, I did not see any efforts by him to discourage it once it started.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    Requiring further operational authorization (vs authorizing the the troops are on standby) at the time of the is probably pretty pro forma - could you imagine sending them out without their commander saying "Go".

    also there is this below. I don't excuse the rioters, nor does any delay in National Guard excuse any other culpable actions.

    Miller and Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, meet with Trump, according to the Department of Defense. Trump agrees to activate the D.C. National Guard to support D.C. police (not Capitol Police) with crowd and traffic control. The Pentagon later tells Pro Publica, “The President had no role in tactical matters as the capabilities deployed and location were dictated solely by the request from D.C. government.”

    D.C. Police Chief Robert Contee says 340 guardsmen will assist with crowd management and traffic control to free up the city police officers to respond to potential acts of violence and other security issues, according to CNN.

    Jan. 4: Capitol Police again confirms there is no need for DoD support in a phone call with Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, according to the Pentagon. Miller, in consultation with Milley, McCarthy and DoD general counsel, “reviews the Department’s plan to be prepared to provide support to civil authorities, if asked, and approves activation of 340 members of the DCNG to support Mayor Bowser’s request.” The support is mostly for traffic control, crowd control at subway stations and logistics support. Miller also authorizes McCarthy to deploy a “Quick Reaction Force” of 40 National Guard members staged at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland “if additional support is requested by civil authorities.”
    Capitol Police Chief Sund asks the House and Senate sergeant-at-arms about the possibility of placing the D.C. National Guard on standby, in case the Capitol Police needed quick backup. In an interview with the Washington Post published on Jan. 10, Sund says they were hesitant to agree. According to the article, “House Sergeant at Arms Paul Irving said he wasn’t comfortable with the ‘optics’ of formally declaring an emergency ahead of the demonstration, Sund said. Meanwhile, Senate Sergeant at Arms Michael Stenger suggested that Sund should informally seek out his Guard contacts, asking them to ‘lean forward’ and be on alert in case Capitol Police needed their help.” All three officials — Sund, Irving and Stenger — have since resigned.
    Update, Jan. 28: In prepared testimony for her Jan. 26 appearance before a closed session of the House Appropriations Committee – which was obtained by the New York Times — the acting chief of the Capitol Police, Yogananda D. Pittman, confirmed that on Jan. 4 – two days before the riot – “Sund requested that the Capitol Police Board declare a state of emergency and authorize a request to secure National Guard support. The Board denied the request, but encouraged Chief Sund to contact the DC National Guard to determine how many Guardsman could be sent to the Capitol on short notice, which he did.” The Capitol Police Board has three voting members: the House and Senate sergeants-at-arms and the architect of the Capitol. As we noted in our initial report, the House and Senate sergeants-at-arms have since resigned.
    Jan. 5: According to the Pentagon, Mayor Bowser delivers a letter addressed to the U.S. acting attorney general, Miller and McCarthy confirming that there are no additional support requests from the D.C. National Guard. Bowser later says that she already had the support she requested from the National Guard and that any decision to request guard forces to protect the Capitol is not hers. “The Capitol Police and the leadership at the Capitol, they did not make the decision to call in guard support,” Bowser later says in a press conference on Jan. 7. “I cannot order the Army, the National Guard, to the United States Capitol grounds. I can, in the district, with the approval of the secretary of the Army.”

    According to an internal document reviewed by the Washington Post, an FBI office in Virginia issues a warning that extremists are preparing to commit violence in Washington on Jan. 6. According to the bulletin — which Steven D’Antuono, head of the FBI’s Washington field office, said was shared “with all our law enforcement partners” through the joint terrorism task force — “An online thread discussed specific calls for violence to include stating ‘Be ready to fight. Congress needs to hear glass breaking, doors being kicked in, and blood from their BLM and Pantifa slave soldiers being spilled. Get violent. Stop calling this a march, or rally, or a protest. Go there ready for war. We get our President or we die. NOTHING else will achieve this goal.” Sund told the Post he never received nor was made aware of the FBI’s field bulletin
    .
    Where, in any of the crap you just posted, did T**** offer Pelosi or Mayor Bowser ANYTHING.

    Where, in anything you just posted were 20,000 National Guard troops offered by T****.

    Nadda.

    Read from what you posted. Slowly. “The President had no role in tactical matters as the capabilities deployed and location were dictated solely by the request from D.C. government.”
    Last edited by Canoez; 06-10-2022 at 10:58 AM.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  15. #960
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,472

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Where, in any of the crap you just posted, did T**** offer Pelosi or Mayor Bowser ANYTHING.

    Where, in anything you just posted were 20,000 National Guard troops offered by T****.

    Nadda.
    As was previously shown there was a memo which outlined the availability of National Guard and who in the guard was able to deploy them if so requested by DC or Capitol police.


    I was speaking of the fact that no one in DC or Capitol requested deployment - quite the opposite. I know some are saying that Pelosi refused the National Guard. That is probably just bad shorthand for saying that she had them at her disposal but did not request their deployment. I will further add that I think Tromp authorized their use to protect Trump supporters against ANTIFA and BLM protesters but they were none the less there at the disposal of local authorities if only they had requested them.

    Can you show me any proof that the Guard was requested prior to the actual occupation but refused by Trump or the DOD?

  16. #961
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    29,345

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    No. a load of crap, again.

    Man, you are persistent - but I suppose you're in for a penny, in for a pound. But it's still crap.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  17. #962
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    29,345

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Life is short, Canoez - certainly too short to bother with 'the bum'.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  18. #963
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,472

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    No. a load of crap, again.

    Man, you are persistent - but I suppose you're in for a penny, in for a pound. But it's still crap.
    So then you can't provide any proof that the Guard had been requested by Pelosi or the Mayor prior to the riots? You do have people that are saying they authorized them upon request but no actual request until things got nasty?

  19. #964
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    19,952

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    As was previously shown there was a memo which outlined the availability of National Guard and who in the guard was able to deploy them if so requested by DC or Capitol police.
    Yes, and what does this have to do with an offer by T**** to Pelosi or Mayor Bowser? Where can you show that T**** offered 20,000 National Guard troops - to ANYONE?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    I was speaking of the fact that no one in DC or Capitol requested deployment - quite the opposite. I know some are saying that Pelosi refused the National Guard. That is probably just bad shorthand for saying that she had them at her disposal but did not request their deployment. I will further add that I think Tromp authorized their use to protect Trump supporters against ANTIFA and BLM protesters but they were none the less there at the disposal of local authorities if only they had requested them.
    What? Let me let you in on a fun fact - the Speaker of the House has no authority to deploy the National Guard. None. (https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-235651652542)

    Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    Can you show me any proof that the Guard was requested prior to the actual occupation but refused by Trump or the DOD?
    Nope. Because no such request was made. "(Other than what you have posted for "crowd control" - 340 troops. And that was a request, not an offer.)

    So still, you are unable to support your supposition that T**** offered 20,000 National Guard troops.

    The pungent aroma of bovine excrement hangs around the claim.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  20. #965
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    29,345

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Everytime I see he/she/it post, I think of 'Boaty McBoatFace'. And take his/her/it's offerings, as seriously.

    McBoaty 'knows' all of this - it's been in the news, forever; it's documented. But if he/she/it can get you/us to waste our time refuting, he/she/it feels it's 'a win'.

    Certainly not worth the time or even minimal effort.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  21. #966
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,472

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    What? Let me let you in on a fun fact - the Speaker of the House has no authority to deploy the National Guard. None. (https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-235651652542)


    So then Pelosi has no authority over the House Sargent at arms who is a part of the beard that requests National Guard? Do you honestly think that if Pelosi wanted the guard, that the board would reject her request? Can you show anything that says she did request the board call up the guard? I didn't think so

    From the article you posted.......

    The board decided not to call the guard ahead of the insurrection but did eventually request assistance after the rioting had already begun, and the troops arrived several hours later.
    And how would they have called for them if it had not been previously offers as shown in the miller memo?

  22. #967
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    Posts
    61,558

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Boatbum, you're trying WAY too hard.

    Mr Trump organized and set in motion an attempt to overturn the results of the 2020 election by force, because by reason of his mental illness (Narcissistic Personality Disorder, look it up) he couldn't possibly accept the fact that he lost. He tried to destroy American democracy because of his pathetically fragile ego, and only failed because he's as incompetent at plotting a coup as he is at everything else he's done. WHY ARE YOU DEFENDING HIM??
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 06-10-2022 at 01:19 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

    Richard Feynman

  23. #968
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    29,345

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    1) could be he's not really from Mass.?

    2) regardless, JAFT
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  24. #969
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    22,884

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Boatbum, you're trying WAY too hard.

    Mr Trump organized and set in motion and attempt to overturn the results of the 2020 election by force, because by reason of his mental illness (Narcissistic Personality Disorder, look it up) he couldn't possibly accept the fact that he lost. He tried to destroy American democracy because of his pathetically fragile ego, and only failed because he's as incompetent at plotting a coup as he is at everything else he's done. WHY ARE YOU DEFENDING HIM??
    Good question.

  25. #970
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    58,110

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Transactional Analysis, positive and negative strokes.
    When you are Billy No-mates, and cannot attract positive strokes, even negative strokes are better than no strokes at all.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  26. #971
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    43,266

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    So then you can't provide any proof that the Guard had been requested by Pelosi or the Mayor prior to the riots? You do have people that are saying they authorized them upon request but no actual request until things got nasty?
    You're forgetting, it was just a normal tourist day.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

  27. #972
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    43,266

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    So then Pelosi has no authority over the House Sargent at arms who is a part of the beard that requests National Guard? Do you honestly think that if Pelosi wanted the guard, that the board would reject her request? Can you show anything that says she did request the board call up the guard? I didn't think so

    From the article you posted.......



    And how would they have called for them if it had not been previously offers as shown in the miller memo?
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think the people INSIDE knew what was happening outside. Until, that is, they were whisked out of the chambers.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

  28. #973
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    19,952

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    He did offer Pelosi and DC mayor 20,000 National Guard troops on the 4th and 5th. The Chief of the Capitol police tried on several occasions to access this but was not given permission by his boss. Pelosi and the DC mayor declined Trumps offer. That said, I did not see any efforts by him to discourage it once it started.
    Did Trump offer Pelosi and the DC Mayor 20,000 National Guard troops?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    So then Pelosi has no authority over the House Sargent at arms who is a part of the beard that requests National Guard? Do you honestly think that if Pelosi wanted the guard, that the board would reject her request? Can you show anything that says she did request the board call up the guard? I didn't think so
    Under what foreknowledge would Nancy Pelosi, Mitch McConnell, The Architect of the Capitol and the House and Senate Sergeants at Arms have thought they needed such crushingly large numbers of National Guard troops?

    You stated (without proof) that the Chief of Capitol police tried to access this (this WHAT exactly?), not the Sergeant at Arms, so you're not even keeping to your first point. The Chief of Capitol Police reports to the three person Capitol Police board which consists of both the House Sergeant at Arms, the Senate Sergeant at Arms and the Architect of the Capitol. Why didn't McConnell make the request via his Senate Sergeant at Arms - or even the Architect of the Capitol. You're so desperate to smear Nancy Pelosi that you can't even think clearly here.
    Last edited by Canoez; 06-10-2022 at 12:22 PM.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  29. #974
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    19,952

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    So, let's move on from false assertions to ones that have been shown to be true. Ginni Thomas - another architect of January 6th.

    Apparently she pressured 29 Arizona lawmakers to help Trump to overthrow the legitimate election.

    FU5-XHwXsAMs85w.jpg

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...ona-lawmakers/
    Last edited by Canoez; 06-10-2022 at 12:47 PM.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  30. #975
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    in Orygun
    Posts
    3,513

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Let's blame people for not being prepared for an unprecedented riot and insurrection rather than those who perpetrated it. Yeah, sound logic.

  31. #976
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    43,266

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gray View Post
    Let's blame people for not being prepared for an unprecedented riot and insurrection rather than those who perpetrated it. Yeah, sound logic.
    Is there anyone on this forum who believes this was a normal tourist day? Anyone who believes the assault on our Capital was justified, or somehow normal?
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

  32. #977
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    49,142

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    sure didn't look like a tourist day from the perspective of the body cam videos shown last night, of cops being beaten with flagpoles and hockey sticks.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  33. #978
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    19,952

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Has everyone forgotten that the Capitol was closed to the general public because of Covid restrictions at the time?

    The were no tourist days at the time.

    Anyway - what tourists arrive at the Capitol in tactical gear with clubs and bear-spray?
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  34. #979
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    16,190

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    General Milli and 4 other people in the room on January 4 confirmed that Trump had authorized the National Guard and was offered to DC and Capitol security. He cannot mandate their deployment under these conditions - it is up to Pelosi and the DC Mayor to actually deploy the troops as needed. I know many put great faith in PolitiFact, but I have seen the statements by 4 of the 5 people in the room when this occurred. I suppose they could all be lying, but for what motive as they would not be responsible either way.
    Did you not read the memo of 4 January 2021 from TFG's lapdog [acting] Secretary of Defense, Christopher C. Miller, authorizing the deployment of the DC National Guard?

    It puts so many restrictions on them that they were useless. The DC National Guard could be deployed, but without the acting Secretary of Defense's express authorization, the DC National Guard units deployed got:

    - No weapons, not even a billy club.
    - No riot control agents.
    - No ballistic protection (helmets or body armor).
    - No physical interaction with protestors.
    - No loaning of equipment to law enforcement agencies.
    - No use of intelligence assets.
    - No helos or other air assets.
    - No searches.
    - No seizures.
    - No arrests.
    - No "seeking[ing] support from any non-DCNG National Guard units" — meaning the DCNG couldn't invoke their mutual assistance agreements with Maryland and Virginia, and bring in the Maryland and/or Virginia National Guard to assist.

    So yes, while it is technically correct to say that the DC National Guard had been "offered to" [authorized to be deployed in support of] the DC and Capitol police. But so many restrictions were placed upon them that they were fundamentally useless, the equivalent of tour guides in olive drab.

    That last paragraph, the one about authorizing the employment of "the DCNG Quick Reaction Force (QRT) only as a last resort and in response to a request from an appropriate civil authority"? The DCNG QRF is likewise a component of the DC National Guard, and so, would have been subject to all of the above restrictions.

    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

  35. #980
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Norwalk, Ohio
    Posts
    34,282

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Why does Boatbum defend a guy who wishes to turn the USA into a banana republic and proclaim himself president-for-life?

    “It’s actually a pretty simple story of a president who lost, who couldn’t stand losing, who cared nothing about the constitution and was determined to hold on to power and who incited a mob when everything else failed"
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •