Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 32414243 ... LastLast
Results 1,436 to 1,470 of 1531

Thread: January 6th Committee

Default Re: January 6th Committee

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    I will be interested to see what the January 6th Committee gets their hands on Alex Jones phone records.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Bit player compared to the agencies and military.
    Maybe not. Jones was in the “war room” at the Willard Hotel with all the other seditious traitors who planned the coup. Could it be the smoking gun that brings them all down?

Default January 6th Committee

Sh*te be goin' down!

Seems the FBI just executed a search warrant on TFG's digs at Mar-a-Lago. Wonder which other of TFG's homes/offices got hit? Trump Tower? Bedminster?

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/tru...me-2022-08-08/

Trump says FBI agents raided his Florida home

Aug 8 (Reuters) - Former U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday his home in Palm Beach, Florida, has been raided by FBI agents.

"After working and cooperating with the relevant Government agencies, this unannounced raid on my home was not necessary or appropriate," Trump said in a statement.

[edited]

Seems they might be interested in certain AWOL classified documents.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/08/us/politics/trump-fbi-mar-a-lago.html
    Last edited by Nicholas Carey; 08-08-2022 at 06:33 PM.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Raid apparently began early this morning, and carried on throughout the day. Focused on the areas of Trump's personal office and personal residence.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey;[URL="tel:6706770"
    6706770[/URL]]Sh*te be goin' down!

Seems the FBI just executed a search warrant on TFG's digs at Mar-a-Lago. Wonder which other of TFG's homes/offices got hit? Trump Tower? Bedminster?

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/tru...me-2022-08-08/

Trump says FBI agents raided his Florida home

Aug 8 (Reuters) - Former U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday his home in Palm Beach, Florida, has been raided by FBI agents.

"After working and cooperating with the relevant Government agencies, this unannounced raid on my home was not necessary or appropriate," Trump said in a statement.
    ”After stone walling and filing spurious motions and lawsuits, I am shocked - shocked I say! by this action!”

Rudy, Rudy, Rudy . . .

Rudy Giuliani just got notified that he is formally a target of Georgia's criminal investigation and special grand jury looking into Rudy, Lindsey & TFG's attempts at interfering with the Georgia election count in 2020.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/15/u...ion-trump.html

Giuliani Is Told He Is a Target in Trump Election Inquiry in Georgia
    Rudolph W. Giuliani, as former President Donald J. Trump’s personal lawyer, spearheaded efforts to keep Mr. Trump in power.

Rudolph W. Giuliani is set to appear in Atlanta on Wednesday after his lawyers unsuccessfully argued that he should be interviewed by video rather than in person.

By Richard Fausset and Danny Hakim
    Aug. 15, 2022

ATLANTA --The legal pressures on Donald J. Trump and his closest allies intensified further on Monday, as prosecutors informed his former personal attorney, Rudolph W. Giuliani, that Mr. Giuliani was a target in a wide-ranging criminal investigation into election interference in Georgia.

The notification came on the same day that a federal judge rejected efforts by another key Trump ally, Senator Lindsey Graham, to avoid giving testimony before the special grand jury hearing evidence in the case in Atlanta.

One of Mr. Giuliani's lawyers, Robert Costello, said in an interview that he was notified on Monday that his client was a target. Being so identified does not guarantee that a person will be indicted; rather, it usually means that prosecutors believe an indictment is possible, based on evidence they have seen up to that point.

Mr. Giuliani, who as Mr. Trump's personal lawyer spearheaded efforts to keep Mr. Trump in power, emerged in recent weeks as a central figure in the inquiry being conducted by Fani T. Willis, the district attorney of Fulton County, Ga., which encompasses most of Atlanta.

Earlier this summer, prosecutors questioned witnesses before the special grand jury about Mr. Giuliani’s appearances before state legislative panels in December 2020, when he spent hours peddling false conspiracy theories about secret suitcases of Democratic ballots and corrupted voting machines.

[continued . . .]
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

I wonder if there is enough leverage to compel rudy?

Mike Pence is now saying that, if asked, he would consider talking to the J/6 committee.
    Just bs on his part or is he really ready to spill the beans on Trump?
    Or would he go there in an attempt to separate himself from Trump.
    Whatever the case, his motives will be purely political.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Mike Pence is now saying that, if asked, he would consider talking to the J/6 committee.
    Just bs on his part or is he really ready to spill the beans on Trump?
    Or would he go there in an attempt to separate himself from Trump.
    Whatever the case, his motives will be purely political.
    We'll see if it happens, and what he says, if he says anything.
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Yes. Arrest Ginni and impeach her traitorous husband. If he’s not actually guilty of conspiracy, he’s a menace to our freedoms and democracy, and he needs to be not on our SCOTUS.

This could be fun.

https://www.axios.com/2022/09/16/jan...term-elections

Jan. 6 committee's October surprise

Why it matters: The committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol plans to hold at least one more hearing late this month and release early findings and recommendations before the election.[/i]

• Despite the panel's long-stated goal of avoiding perceptions of partisanship or politicization, a noisy October could impact the midterms.

Driving the news: The committee will meet virtually Friday to plan the rest of their schedule including upcoming hearings, members told Axios.

• Unlike 1/6 probes by the Justice Department and the Fulton County, Ga., district attorney, the committee has an expiration date. "We sunset Dec. 31," Chairman Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) told reporters this week.

State of play: Members told Axios that while their final report will likely come after the election, plenty of news could be made beforeand that the election is not a big factor in their scheduling.

• Thompson told Axios the panel does not want to be "perceived as a partisan committee ... we’ve been fairly free of those kind of complaints, and we would not want to interfere with the election."
    • But he said the time between an expected Sept. 28 hearing and the election "won’t be a quiet period." He also said that "the goal is to have … some information pushed out, obviously, before the November election.” The panel may release its interim report in that window.

What they're saying: "There are those partisans of former President Trump that will denounce anything we do, so we're not going to jump through hoops to please people who will call anything we do partisan," said Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.) Raskin said the committee has achieved "a good reputation with the American people for sticking to the facts."

• Rep. Stephanie Murphy (D-Fla.), who is not seeking reelection, said: “This effort is not political, so I am indifferent to when the election is.”
    • Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.) told Axios the committee is "just working at our own pace" and they'll release their final report "when we’re ready."
    • Rep. Pete Aguilar (D-Calif.) said: "We can't make our determination based on dates on the calendar, we've got a job to do. ... It's too important to just circle one date to November."

Between the lines: The panel's highly publicized public hearings over the summer dredged up events Republicans would sooner forget, searing them into the public consciousness in a way they hadn’t been since early 2021. New revelations could return concerns to the forefront of voters' minds.

The other side: Democratic National Campaign Committee Chair Sean Patrick Maloney (D-N.Y.) downplayed concerns around politicization.

• "It’s about making sure there’s an accurate historical record of a disgraceful day when our democracy was under attack and holding accountable the people who organized it and took those horrible actions," he said.

26-year-old Trump supporter Anton Lunyk has been identified as the recipient of an outgoing phone call made from the White House switchboard on 6 January.
    It’s interesting to see what he was on about in the months leading up to Jan 6:

https://lawandcrime.com/u-s-capitol-...ouse-landline/

A Brooklyn rioter who appeared on a far-right streamer’s video during the attack on the U.S. Capitol is the recipient of a call from a White House landline on Jan. 6 In May 2021, authorities charged Anton Lunyk with federal crimes after a college classmate spotted him a New York Posttweet, which was taken from a still frame of a video by far-right streamer and former BuzzFeed employeeAnthime “Tim” Gionet, better known for racist, antisemitic and white supremacistbroadcasts under the name “Baked Alaska.”

The Post tweet called attention to Gionet storming the Capitol after testing positive for COVID-19. Lunik, wearing a red MAGA hat and a hoodie, smiled broadly as he photo-bombed the livestream right behind Gionet.
    Initially charged with two offenses, Lunyk ultimately pleaded guilty to four misdemeanors: entering and remaining inside a restricted building, disorderly and disruptive conduct inside a restricted building, violent entry and disorderly conduct inside a Capitol building, and parading, demonstrating or picketing inside a Capitol building.
    Earlier this month on Sept. 15, U.S. District Judge Rudolph Contreras sentenced Lunyk to one year of probation, two months of home confinement and financial penalties.
    During their roughly 10-minute stint inside the Capitol, Lunyk and two of his friends entered the office of Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.). One of his co-defendants, Francis Connor, looked through Merkley’s papers. Lunyk, Connor and Antonio Ferrignospent the months before the attack on the Capitol exchanging messages pining for civil war or violence, court records show
    Last edited by Hallam; 09-26-2022 at 07:42 PM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Gets interestinger and interestinger.
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    26-year-old Trump supporter Anton Lunyk has been identified as the recipient of an outgoing phone call made from the White House switchboard on 6 January.
    It’s interesting to see what he was on about in the months leading up to Jan 6 . . .
    Something hinky about the Committee staffer that leaked this and wrote a book without the committee's authorization.

He says, "The Committee's headed in the right direction, but the people have a right to know."

Yes it is, and no they don't.

The Committee is the legislature, my friend. You're not. They make strategy; not you.

Big red flag when they start talking about the right of the people. Like, the House of Representatives belongs to the people, therefore I have a right to bust in and bang the gavel.
    If Russia wins, there will be no Ukraine; if Ukraine wins, there will be a new Russia.

-- Dmytro Kuleba, Foreign Minister of Ukraine

Beau’s take on the committee staffer:

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

The book’s release has frustrated and angered some committee members — and sparked a public dispute.

In his book, Mr. Riggleman described his frustration with members of the committee not being aggressive enough.

He argued that the panel would not invest the millions of dollars necessary to deeply explore connections between Trump’s inner circle and people associated with violent domestic extremist groups such as the Oath Keepers and the Proud Boys.

He said he was cut out of meetings of top staff members, and demanded to be given access. He questioned why some Democrats — including Representatives Zoe Lofgren and Adam B. Schiff of California and Jamie Raskin of Maryland — were seated on the committee.

And he said Representative Liz Cheney, Republican of Wyoming and the committee’s vice chairwoman, tried to get him to back off investigating Justice Clarence Thomas and his wife, Virginia Thomas. But he acknowledged that the primary evidence he cited for his suspicions about Justice Thomas, communications linked to a “cthomas” email address, turned out not to be from him but from a Republican operative.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/26/u...sultPosition=1
    Get a grip. You don't demand jack S, pal.

Mr. Riggleman also said he did not have regrets about using committee materials to publish a book.

“The data belongs to the American people,” he said.
    Wrong. Supposedly he is a former Air Force Intelligence officer. He knows very well who the data belongs to, and it isn't "the people."

Surely there were security provisions in his contract, and an oath.
    If Russia wins, there will be no Ukraine; if Ukraine wins, there will be a new Russia.

Beau is wrong. The importance of the information is not the point. The more important, the greater the need to keep it confidential.

All kinds of things might be involved, in Congress, and in state and federal law enforcement: plea bargains, negotiations for testimony, turning over evidence, identity of agents, etc. Including, prominently, the recipient of the phone call himself. This "staffer" has fingered him.

The intelligence analyst does not decide what intelligence is to be made public. The intelligence analyst keeps his mouth shut.

All this is great and I'm paying close attention...

...but I'm holding my breath for the day Ginny Thomas is placed under oath!
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    All this is great and I'm paying close attention...

...but I'm holding my breath for the day Ginny Thomas is placed under oath!
    From what I've heard, she will be "interviewed" by members of the committee but not under oath.
    You are only placed under oath when you "testify" before the committee.
    Still, lying to congressional interviewers is supposed to be a crime.
    My bet is that she'll find some excuse to not show up.

If she's not under oath, is she still entitled to plead the 5th?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

These are good points. If she isn't forced to tell the truth under penalty of law, Trump's followers will believe any lie she tells.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    If she's not under oath, is she still entitled to plead the 5th?
    If she is not under oath, I don't think she is compelled to answer a question she doesn't like. She wouldn't need to plead the fifth. Just like if you were being interviewed by the police and they ask a question to which your lawyer tells you not to answer.
    Again, I doubt very much that she will show up.

I think that with what the committee already knows, she had better be telling the truth.

By far the broadest federal statute criminalizing lying is 18 U.S.C. § 1001, which makes it a crime to “knowingly and willfully . . . make[] any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation” in the course of “any matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative, or judicial branch” of the federal government. There’s no requirement that the statement be under oath.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I think that with what the committee already knows, she had better be telling the truth.
    I would agree. They are going to ask her questions to which they already know or have evidence pointing to a conclusion. Lying to a Congressional Investigation is a crime; you dont have to be sworn in. I think she will neglect to answer some things but since it will be private we wont know what she declines.

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    I would agree. They are going to ask her questions to which they already know or have evidence pointing to a conclusion. Lying to a Congressional Investigation is a crime; you dont have to be sworn in. I think she will neglect to answer some things but since it will be private we wont know what she declines.
    People will have to guess. That, in and of itself, might be interesting. Those who have something to fear, may fear being thrown under the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    People will have to guess. That, in and of itself, might be interesting. Those who have something to fear, may fear being thrown under the bus.
    I don't think so. Much of her activity to reverse the 2020 election has been reported on in the press, already.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I don't think so. Much of her activity to reverse the 2020 election has been reported on in the press, already.
    But what else has she been involved in?

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    But what else has she been involved in?
    Uhhh...

I think you need to go Google Ginni Thomas for a bit.

That and Clarence's financial disclosure forms.

It's an onion. Lotsa layers. Makes you wanna cry when you cut into it.
    -William A. Ward

Uhhh...

I think you need to go Google Ginni Thomas for a bit.

That and Clarence's financial disclosure forms.

It's an onion. Lotsa layers. Makes you wanna cry when you cut into it.
    That's kind of what I meant.

Latest news is that tomorrow's hearing has been postponed because of Hurricane Ian.
    Horsefeathers.
    It's being postponed so the committee has time to digest the video tapes that just came out showing
    Roger Stone plotting the insurrection.

Looks like there's still some AWOL presidential records from the TFG "administration". Seems certain unnamed WH staff used unofficial electronic messaging and failed to forward or copy said messages to their official accounts. As required by law.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/01/u...-archives.html

Records From Trump White House Still Missing, National Archives Says
    [i]The archives said in a letter to the House Oversight Committee that it was seeking electronic messages from unnamed White House officials sent through personal accounts.[/b]

WASHINGTON — The National Archives informed Congress on Friday that members of the Trump White House still had not turned over all presidential records and signaled there could be legal consequences for those who do not comply.

In a letter sent to the House Oversight Committee, Debra Steidel Wall, the acting U.S. archivist, said the archives was working to retrieve electronic messages from certain unnamed White House officials who had used personal email and messaging accounts to conduct official business.

Ms. Wall wrote that the archives would consult the Justice Department about whether to “initiate an action for the recovery of records unlawfully removed.”

“While there is no easy way to establish absolute accountability, we do know that we do not have custody of everything we should,” Ms. Wall wrote to Representative Carolyn B. Maloney, Democrat of New York and the chairwoman of the Oversight Committee.

Ms. Wall cited an August filing by the Justice Department to recover official email records from the personal account of Peter Navarro, a former Trump adviser. Mr. Navarro is facing charges of contempt of Congress after he refused to comply with a subpoena from the House committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol.

In her letter, Ms. Wall declined to say whether former President Donald J. Trump had surrendered all presidential records in his possession.

“With respect to the second issue concerning whether former President Trump has surrendered all presidential records, we respectfully refer you to the Department of Justice in light of its ongoing investigation,” she wrote.

“The National Archives has confirmed to the Oversight Committee that they still have not received all presidential records from the Trump White House,” Ms. Maloney said in a statement. “Presidential records are the property of the American people, and it is outrageous that these records remain unaccounted for 20 months after former President Trump left office.”

[continued]

thought I'd read where the contents of many of those 'top secret' but empty folders are still missing, as well.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

I had to drag this up from page 7 in preparation for tomorrow's hearing.
    It should be a gangbuster, but will it make any difference?
    I fear that Trump could go out on his golf course, shoot a little 5-year-old girl in the
    head and Republicans wouldn't condemn him.
    McConnell would stay silent, and McCarthy would say the little girl must have been a threat
    and had it coming.

In any case, I'll be watching from beginning to end.
    If they can just convince a handful of independent or undecided voters to vote against a
    MAGA endorsed candidate, it will all be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I had to drag this up from page 7 in preparation for tomorrow's hearing.
    It should be a gangbuster, but will it make any difference?
    I fear that Trump could go out on his golf course, shoot a little 5-year-old girl in the
    head and Republicans wouldn't condemn him.
    McConnell would stay silent, and McCarthy would say the little girl must have been a threat
    and had it coming.

In any case, I'll be watching from beginning to end.
    If they can just convince a handful of independent or undecided voters to vote against a
    MAGA endorsed candidate, it will all be worth it.
    The question is one of whether or not it makes enough difference. Or one of how many people need to be unconvinced to vote for Republicans.