Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 28373839 ... LastLast
Results 1,296 to 1,330 of 1439

Thread: January 6th Committee

  1. #1296
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    28,634

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    I get criticized when I don't use reliable sources here. Perhaps you should do the same.
    You think I should criticize you for your sources? What an odd thing to say. I generally hesitate to do that, unless a source has a history of lying.

    I posted an opinion piece. If you disagree with it, you are certainly welcome to tell us why. Do you claim his facts are wrong? Do you claim his reasoning is wrong? A source may be suspect if it has a history of deceit or propaganda, but Josh Marshall does not have a history of such things. He makes an effort to be fair-minded and accurate.

  2. #1297
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    28,634

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    Not even listed as a reliable site for news - here is the almighty refence that everyone cites down here.....

    https://my.lwv.org/california/torran...edia-bias-2022







    If it ain't there it ain't rated. Just because you agree with the content doesn't make it right.
    It is rated. You should have gone to the original source for the chart:

    https://adfontesmedia.com/talking-po...d-reliability/
    Overview

    Ad Fontes Media rates Talking Points Memo in the Skews Left category of bias and as Reliable, Analysis/Fact Reporting in terms of reliability. Talking Points Memo is a news and opinion website launched in 2000 by journalist and blogger Josh Marshall. It features articles about politics and public policy, with a focus on abuses of power. Talking Points Memo is headquartered in New York City, with a bureau in Washington, D.C. The website records more than 7.5 million visits each month.
    The site has a point of view, but is careful to get its facts right.

  3. #1298
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Norwalk, Ohio
    Posts
    34,275

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    ...
    "men with the mentality of gangsters"

    Mark Meadows’ associate threatened ex-White House aide before her testimony

    It was the second warning Cassidy Hutchinson had received before her deposition, cautioning her against cooperating with the panel

    Hugo Lowell
    Thu 30 Jun 2022 20.52 EDT

    Former Trump White House aide Cassidy Hutchinson received at least one message tacitly warning her not to cooperate with the House January 6 select committee from an associate of former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

    The message in question was the second of the two warnings that the select committee disclosed at the end of its special hearing when Hutchinson testified about how Donald Trump directed a crowd he knew was armed to march on the Capitol, the sources said.

    “[A person] let me know you have your deposition tomorrow. He wants me to let you know that he’s thinking about you. He knows you’re loyal, and you’re going to do the right thing when you go in for your deposition,” read the message. The redaction was Meadows, the sources said.

    The message was presented during closing remarks at the special hearing with Hutchinson by the panel’s vice-chair, Liz Cheney, who characterized the missive as improper pressure on a crucial witness that could extend to illegal witness tampering or intimidation.

    The exact identity of the person who sent Hutchinson the message – beyond the fact that they were an associate of Meadows – could not be confirmed on Thursday, but that may be in part because the select committee may wish to interview that person, the sources said.

    That appears to indicate that the person who sent the message was a close associate of the former White House chief of staff who may themselves be a fact witness to what Trump and Meadows were doing and thinking ahead of the Capitol attack.

    Neither a spokesman for Meadows nor Hutchinson responded to a request for comment on Thursday evening.

    The other message was also directed at Hutchinson, the sources said; the quote displayed on the slide was one of several calls from Trump allies that Hutchinson recounted to House investigators.

    “What they said to me is, as long as I continue to be a team player, they know that I’m on the team, I’m doing the right thing, I’m protecting who I need to protect, you know, I’ll continue to stay in the good graces in Trump World,” the slide read.

    “And they reminded me a couple of times that Trump does read transcripts and just to keep that in mind as I proceeded through my depositions and interviews with the committee.”

    The identity of the people who called Hutchinson, warning her presumably not to implicate the former president, could not be established beyond the fact that they were people close to Trump, though the select committee is understood to be aware of all of the people.

    Politico, which first reported that the message to Hutchinson came from an associate of Meadows, also reported that it came before her second interview with the select committee. Hutchinson changed lawyers before her fourth deposition that preceded her public testimony.

    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...son-threatened
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 07-01-2022 at 07:11 AM.
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

  4. #1299
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    43,263

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Saw a piece last night on how this woman changed lawyers before testifying so completely and honestly.

    Seems many would be witnesses have lawyers being paid by Trump, as her old lawyer had been. This begs the question: does the lawyer represent the client or the person paying the lawyer?
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

  5. #1300
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northwest Oregon coast
    Posts
    30,917

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    The judge , jury are protected by the Constitution from any prosecution for anything that they say in the Capitol. The founders never dreamed that this protection would result in Stalinist type show trials..

    Liberals are taking full advantage for a short term political win.

    Little do they know they have set a precedent for the future.

    Course my Republicans are milk toast but there may be a day some may be as crooked as this kangaroo court.

  6. #1301
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,472

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    It is rated. You should have gone to the original source for the chart:

    https://adfontesmedia.com/talking-po...d-reliability/

    The site has a point of view, but is careful to get its facts right.
    With a reliability rating of 42 I wouldn't say they are careful to get their facts right. And the the "skews left" hardly puts it in the middle or balanced category

  7. #1302
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    19,952

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    With a reliability rating of 42 I wouldn't say they are careful to get their facts right. And the the "skews left" hardly puts it in the middle or balanced category
    As JohnW said - can you dispute the substance of the article?
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  8. #1303
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mountain lakes of Vermont
    Posts
    17,601

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    The judge , jury are protected by the Constitution from any prosecution for anything that they say in the Capitol. The founders never dreamed that this protection would result in Stalinist type show trials..

    Liberals are taking full advantage for a short term political win.

    Little do they know they have set a precedent for the future.

    Course my Republicans are milk toast but there may be a day some may be as crooked as this kangaroo court.
    The GOP set the precedent of which you speak with their Benghazi hearings. Kevin McCarthy admitted on air that the true reason for the hearings was to hurt Hillary Clinton's poll numbers.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

  9. #1304
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    66,776

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Nice try Rich but Alvin only makes declarations. The substance of what you said is beyond him.

  10. #1305
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    28,634

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    With a reliability rating of 42 I wouldn't say they are careful to get their facts right. And the the "skews left" hardly puts it in the middle or balanced category
    I've never claimed it was in the middle or balanced category. Marshall clearly has a point of view, as I previously stated.

    As to what the scores mean, the source of the chart you are using says the following:

    Scores above 40 are generally good
    So, please tell us why you disagree with your source.

  11. #1306
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    28,634

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    The judge , jury are protected by the Constitution from any prosecution for anything that they say in the Capitol. The founders never dreamed that this protection would result in Stalinist type show trials..

    Liberals are taking full advantage for a short term political win.

    Little do they know they have set a precedent for the future.

    Course my Republicans are milk toast but there may be a day some may be as crooked as this kangaroo court.
    Did you even watch the hearings?

  12. #1307
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Entry Level
    Posts
    25,158

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    It's not a trial. Is that like, too simple an explanation?
    I'm not leaving.

    -- Mike Pence

  13. #1308
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    9,960

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    ‘Kangaroo congressional hearing’ just don’t scan.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

  14. #1309
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA
    Posts
    26,222

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Are y'all trying to reason with someone that thinks there is a judge and jury involved?

  15. #1310
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    Posts
    61,558

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Bobbys is repeating what's is apparently the current standard right-wing defense, that the investigation is somehow biased (no evidence of that,but who needs evidence?), and therefore they can dismiss the facts that are coming out. I got into an actual argument with a guy at work about this, something I generally manage to avoid (and he normally has more sense). It's pretty pathetic, but I suppose that's the best they can do; the sworn testimony is quite damning.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

    Richard Feynman

  16. #1311
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    N. Fal on Cape Cod
    Posts
    18,149

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Regressives have always had difficulty differentiating between fact and opinion.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

    Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

  17. #1312
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    34,582

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    The judge , jury are protected by the Constitution from any prosecution for anything that they say in the Capitol. The founders never dreamed that this protection would result in Stalinist type show trials..
    I think that is exactly what they had in mind

    (Excluding that this is not a trial and there is no judge or jury)

  18. #1313
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    49,142

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Cipollone has reached a deal to testify to the January 6 committee for several hours on Friday morning. Will not be in a public hearing, but will be a transcribed, video recorded interview under oath.

    Under their agreement, the committee can ask any question they wish, but Cipollone may attempt to claim attorney-client privilege on some questions on which he thinks such may apply.

    Note, of course, that there's a crime-fraud exception for attorney-client privilege, and that John Dean's testimony back in the Watergate days established that the client of the White House Attorney isn't the President, but the Presidency.

    https://mobile.twitter.com/hugolowel...10396233269248
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  19. #1314
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    16,180

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Looks like Pat Cippoline has agreed to testify (after having been served with a subpeona).

    [Might point out that attorney-client privilege goes out the window when you're a lawyer and your client is communicating with you regarding an ongoing crime. Willing to bet that the same sort of crime-fraud exception applies to executive privilege as well.]

    Jan. 6 Panel Secures Deal for Cipollone to Be Interviewed

    The former White House counsel pushed back on President Donald J. Trump’s efforts to overturn the 2020 election and was in the West Wing to witness his actions on Jan. 6, 2021.

    Pat A. Cipollone, the White House counsel to President Donald J. Trump who repeatedly fought Mr. Trump’s efforts to overturn the 2020 election, has reached a deal to be interviewed by Friday before the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack, according to people familiar with the inquiry.

    The agreement was a breakthrough for the panel, which has pressed for weeks for Mr. Cipollone to cooperate — and issued a subpoena to him last week — believing he could provide crucial testimony.

    Mr. Cipollone was a witness to pivotal moments in Mr. Trump’s push to invalidate the election results, including discussions about seizing voting machines and sending false letters to state officials about election fraud. He was also in the West Wing on Jan. 6, 2021, as Mr. Trump reacted to the violence at the Capitol, when his supporters attacked the building in his name.

    People close to Mr. Cipollone have repeatedly cautioned that concerns about executive privilege and attorney-client privilege could limit his cooperation.

    [continued at https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/06/u...estimony.html]
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

  20. #1315
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    19,952

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Well, considering that 45 isn't the Executive, it is 46 that has the option of claiming Executive Privilege - or not.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  21. #1316
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    49,142

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Yeah, and that's been litigated.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  22. #1317
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    19,952

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Yeah, and that's been litigated.
    Yes. DOJ has also made some judgements regarding the activity of Brooks in Georgia. Also the likelihood that throwing out votes in Georgia isn't legitimate Federal Government Activity.

    Sounds like most of Graham's arguments have already been litigated and found not to hold water.

    The objections may be very short and pro-forma to keep the "base" happy that he's fighting.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  23. #1318
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    70,249

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    I don't think Beau is happy………...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEH77n9128c

  24. #1319
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Duncan, Vancouver Island
    Posts
    29,187

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    I know we've all seen this photo a million times but it just showed up on my fb page and I was shocked all over again. This is who thinks they know what's best for America. This is who Trump was more than happy to let carry out his coup:

    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

  25. #1320
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    49,142

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    2 more hearings tentatively announced - one for next Tuesday daytime, and the final, for now anyway, for prime-time next Thursday evening. But all is tentative, including the notion that there are only these 2 left.

    What happens next, I really don't know.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  26. #1321
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    43,263

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    I hope those who need to pay attention are paying attention.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

  27. #1322
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    19,952

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    Here we go again.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  28. #1323
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    49,142

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    If you guys aren't listening in, and have the free space in your lives to ...

    This is crazy stuff. Mind blowing crazy stuff.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  29. #1324
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    49,142

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  30. #1325
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    49,142

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    And now, we have the participants in the meeting (which apparently went on for 6 hours) describing, in their own words, what happened. Ahem.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  31. #1326
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    49,142

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  32. #1327
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    49,142

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  33. #1328
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    49,142

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  34. #1329
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    49,142

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  35. #1330
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    49,142

    Default Re: January 6th Committee

    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •