Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 23323334 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,155 of 1439

Thread: January 6th Committee

Default January 6th Committee

Heather Cox Richardson tonight:.

Ruh-roh! (To quote Scooby-Doo)

https://heathercoxrichardson.substac...p/june-27-2022

June 27, 2022 (Monday)

Midday today, the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol announced a hearing “to present recently obtained evidence and receive witness testimony.” This is a surprise, and it was not until late tonight that reporters confirmed with their sources that the witness will be Cassidy Hutchinson, an aide to former president Trump’s chief of staff Mark Meadows. Hutchinson was the person who revealed that congress members had asked for pardons.

Legal analyst Asha Rangappa tweeted that she will be watching to see if Hutchinson can testify that Trump, Meadows, or members of Congress either knew about or planned violence for January 6 to pressure Pence. “If so, it brings them into crosshairs of seditious conspiracy,” she wrote.

While we have been focused on the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade more news has come out about the attempt of Trump and his allies to overturn the government.

Indeed, scholar of authoritarianism Ruth Ben-Ghiat today noted that there is a relationship between the insurrection and the radical Supreme Court decisions coming out. Justice Clarence Thomas has been writing opinions and footnotes that are to the right even of the rest of the radical court, and today he suggested he would like the court to revisit the 1964 New York Times v. Sullivan decision that provides some protection to media outlets from being sued for defamation by requiring a plaintiff to prove the outlet acted with “actual malice.” Thomas wants to make it easier to sue media outlets because, he wrote, the “New York Times and its progeny have allowed media organizations and interest groups ‘to cast false aspersions on public figures with near impunity.’”

Ben-Ghiat tweeted that “(s)elf-protection (and protection for corrupt family members) is a huge driver of authoritarian behaviors. He feels threatened and will try and change the legal order to avoid scrutiny. Radicalized people no longer care about ‘how it looks’ to outsiders.”

[more at the above link]
    Last edited by Nicholas Carey; 06-28-2022 at 02:01 AM.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Default Re: January 6th Committee

We used to have a rooster that would launch into a full crow but never finish it with the final "dooooooo". That's what all these US politico/legal machinations remind me of. Like baking a cake and never taking it out of the oven.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

You know eventually you either accept government by the SC, or you change the court. It may be that the SC may no longer be suitable as the final arbiter owing to it's susceptibility to political influence by dint of partisan appointments, or because self interest and unethical behaviour pervade some of the members.
    I can imagine that being equivalent to another revolution.
    I think that if the justice system is corrupt at the top, the ex president and his appointed SC, then the whole structure is in danger of failing, or at least being at risk of similar corruption. Some of the State legislation recently passed is in the same vein, risking the failure of the state and it's authority.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 06-28-2022 at 02:55 AM.

Thomas is really going out of is way to prove what an ass kissing, Nazi Trumpist he is. I wonder if there is a promised financial award for Ginny's traitorous behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    Still waiting for DoJ announcements of indictments, or news about the FBI visiting the homes of the handful of congress people implicated so far. Frinstance, when is Eastman going to be arrested?
    They've grabbed his phone.

Just because it's not on the news doesn't mean it's not happening.

A lot of s**t can hit the fan before November's elections.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Yada, yada, yada……………… but will there be consequences at the top? I doubt it.
    And if there is I presume the USSC will have the final say?
    The rich and powerful seldom do time.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    You know eventually you either accept government by the SC, or you change the court. It may be that the SC may no longer be suitable as the final arbiter owing to it's susceptibility to political influence by dint of partisan appointments, or because self interest and unethical behaviour pervade some of the members.
    I can imagine that being equivalent to another revolution.
    I think that if the justice system is corrupt at the top, the ex president and his appointed SC, then the whole structure is in danger of failing, or at least being at risk of similar corruption. Some of the State legislation recently passed is in the same vein, risking the failure of the state and it's authority.
    It's really kind of amazing when you stop to think. A good number of voters could not vote for Hillary because of Benghazi, which the GOP hearings cleared her of, and/or the emails which turned out to be nothing.

They either didn't vote, or voted for Trump, a man who we KNEW had cheated on all three of his wives, bankrupted most of his businesses, lost lawsuits, refused to release his taxes, and never delivered the promised proof his wife's a legal immigrant.

If those people are now unhappy, they can blame themselves.

Maybe it's Karma.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    They've grabbed his phone.

Just because it's not on the news doesn't mean it's not happening.

A lot of s**t can hit the fan before November's elections.
    Eastman is now suing to get his phone back. Poor baby.
    Waaaaaaahhhhh.....
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

I do hope they hang together..... literally.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

The testimony I'm hearing right now is the most damning I've heard. The committee seems to have found its John Dean.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    The testimony I'm hearing right now is the most damning I've heard. The committee seems to have found its John Dean.
    I don't have words.

If this doesn't send many people to jail, the rule of law is dead.

Now I know why they were concerned for her safety and the urgency of today's hearing.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Throwing ketchup On the walls
    or was it catsup ?

OOOFAH Bombshell

Unhinged T*** attacking his Secret Service driver WOW
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

I again wonder how many of these people, in defiance and despair, choose suicide rather than infamy. Not Donald, but quite possibly Meadows.

This is utterly disgusting.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Michael Flynn pleaded the 5th when asked under oath in taped testimony to the committee if he believed in the peaceful transfer of power. Jesus.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Wow!

Can't wait to see the spin on this one from the Right-Wingers!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

TFG wanted secret service to stop using metal detectors because it was keeping people out of his tiny rally. 4 yrs this nutjob was n office.

“They’re not here to hurt me!”

Think about that. A crowd of armed people called to protest the election is ok if they support Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...n-6-testimony/

Crucially, Hutchinson also testified that Trump was unconcerned about sending such people toward the Capitol — something he would ultimately do.
    She said she heard Trump say something to the effect of: “I don’t f---ing care that they have weapons; they’re not here to hurt me. Take the f---ing mags away. Let my people in. They can march the Capitol from here. Let the people in. Take the f---ing mags away."
    (“Mags” apparently refers to magnetometers.)
    That’s Trump advocating sending people to the Capitol in virtually the same breath as him talking about them having weapons.
    Last edited by LeeG; 06-28-2022 at 02:35 PM.

As the father of two daughters just a few years older than this young lady I can't imagine what her parents are feeling right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Michael Flynn pleaded the 5th when asked under oath in taped testimony to the committee if he believed in the peaceful transfer of power. Jesus.
    hmmm, that sounds a bit perplexing.

Two things.

The Republican party is now over. Dead. There's no coming back from this and becoming a decent center-right party again. America will need to create a new one.

Second, there's going to be a lot of stochastic terrorism, going forwards. This is fully out there now, and there's a large slice of the population which has been so radicalized that they'll not come out of the dark tunnel.

I don't know how that will play out. It's f#cking scary.

Migod, but this young woman is so brave. So damned honorable. And I'm sure, utterly wracked with guilt.

She's also in grave danger, no matter how much security they put around her.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    OOOFAH Bombshell

Unhinged T*** attacking his Secret Service driver WOW
    Nice to know he had the launch codes, ain't it?

Nutz. Absolutely Nucking Futz.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

A reminder, TFG was acting consistently from campaign to exit. McConnell and a majority of Republicans supported TFG throughout.

And this week's Supreme Court decisions have been brought to you by this traitorous band of pox-ridden reeking b@stards.

A practice run by incompetants,

We had the freakin' Mafia in the White House - not a Presidential administration.
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    A reminder, TFG was acting consistently from campaign to exit. McConnell and a majority of Republicans supported TFG throughout.
    a reminder, a significant percentage of United statesians adore and celebrate tfg
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    a reminder, a significant percentage of United statesians adore and celebrate tfg
    Hopefully that adoration extends to a smaller percentage than it did at lunch time.
    -William A. Ward

I think she testified about several people who sought pardons (and thus made a tacit admission of guilt). One was Giuliani--who were the others? I missed it.

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 06-28-2022 at 02:22 PM.
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Giuliani and Meadows. Was very specific about hearing those requests personally.

didn't catch the others.

What a series of revelations. Hutchinson is extremely brave. Liz Chaney brilliant.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Each of these people, the J6 Committee members, the witnesses, and especially Ms. Hutchinson need round the clock protection for the forseeable future.