Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 31404142 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,435 of 1466

Thread: January 6th Committee

Default Re: January 6th Committee

Fox, of course, boycotted the sesion, with Hannity bleating that all it was is a " show trial ". How that guy can sleep soundly is beyond me. The single most punchable face on TV.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

Colbert’s live show was pretty good last night:

https://youtu.be/Aq4630ilmf0

Cheney knows Jan. 6 work could cost her seat; says panel may subpoena Ginni Thomas

Rep. Liz Cheney said Sunday that she is working hard to win reelection this year and beat back a Trump-endorsed primary challenger -- but if her time investigating the former president for the House Jan. 6 committee leads to her defeat, "there's no question" it will have been worth it.

"I believe that my work on this committee is the single most important thing I have ever done professionally," Cheney, R-Wyo., said on CNN's State of the Union. "It is an unbelievable honor to represent the people of Wyoming in Congress. And I know that all of us who are elected officials take an oath that we swear under God to the Constitution."

"That oath has to mean something," she continued. "And that oath means that we cannot embrace and enable a president as dangerous as Donald Trump is."

Cheney has become perhaps the GOP's loudest anti-Trump voice and, as vice-chair of the House panel, has become a public face for the hearings this summer detailing a year-long investigation into the events surrounding the Capitol insurrection.
    And then a little later in the article...

Among the Trump-adjacent figures in talks with the panel is conservative activist Ginni Thomas, wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, who repeatedly urged Trump's then-chief of staff, Mark Meadows, to attempt to overturn the 2020 election results

"The committee is engaged with her counsel. We certainly hope that she will agree to come in voluntarily. But the committee is fully prepared to contemplate a subpoena if she does not," Cheney said on CNN.

"I hope it doesn't get to that," Cheney said. "I hope she will come in voluntarily."
    Cheney knows Jan. 6 work could cost her seat; says panel may subpoena Ginni Thomas (msn.com)
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Fox, of course, boycotted the sesion, with Hannity bleating that all it was is a " show trial ". How that guy can sleep soundly is beyond me. The single most punchable face on TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    The single most punchable face on TV.
    not so quick
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

The face of stupid

He knows his market, and plays to it, and does very well.

It's easy to call them stupid, rubes etc but electorally the Dems, and there's only the Dem's unfortunately, need to work out a way to hive off a 1/4 to 1/3rd from the pack to turn the representation around. And that means a lot of work, and I think some renovation of Dem. policy and attitude. And maybe a few points of difference. Of course my experience has ben in a Parliamentary system where there have always been multiple parties. That difference, may be the biggest hindrance. That and the seeming trend to the right world wide. Difficult times mean voters want answers, easy answers even though they may not actually work.

^ Priceless statement, Jeff ! I believe you have 'the right of it' (notice what I did there ? )

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

The new Australian Parliament has a minority government. 12 greens and 16 independents were elected in the two house Parliament and the government and the others will have to compromise over some quite contentious matters, such as no new coal or gas projects.
    Of course we have plenty of energy available, without solar but a previous conservative government allowed 3 big companies control of it all, and most of the gas goes to China. The present conservative RW. rump, tossed out comprehensively along with it's happy clapper PM could be virtually irrelevant. But the Greens and Independents were elected on a climate change list of policies, and they cannot be ignored.

Your monopolistic setup need some renovation.

As an aside, I watched your new Ambassador Caroline Kennedy in a press conference skewer one of our mot offensive male journalists, and then dismiss him with a smile. Classic!

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    ……….
    As an aside, I watched your new Ambassador Caroline Kennedy in a press conference skewer one of our mot offensive male journalists, and then dismiss him with a smile. Classic!
    Pitty I missed that! I would enjoy such a spectacle. A link perhaps?
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Ot was just a clip on a news bulletin, SBS or ABC I think.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Jan. 6 committee's Luria releases video testimony about lines that were stricken from Trumpís post-riot remarks

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...s-po-rcna39848

https://twitter.com/i/status/1551568001836670976

The deep state continues to reveal itself:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/02/polit...xts/index.html

The Defense Department wiped the phones of top departing DOD and Army officials at the end of the Trump administration, deleting any texts from key witnesses to events surrounding the January 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol, according to court filings.

"It's just astounding to believe that the agency did not understand the importance of preserving its records -- particularly [with regards] to the top officials that might have captured: what they were doing, when they were doing it, why they were doing, it on that day,".

Of course they knew exactly what they were doing, covering theit own tracks.
    That is indeed a deep level of potential treason.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gray View Post
    The deep state continues to reveal itself:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/02/polit...xts/index.html

The Defense Department wiped the phones of top departing DOD and Army officials at the end of the Trump administration, deleting any texts from key witnesses to events surrounding the January 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol, according to court filings.
    The deep state does exist & it's all Trumpers.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

"It's just astounding to believe that the agency did not understand the importance of preserving its records -- particularly [with regards] to the top officials that might have captured: what they were doing, when they were doing it, why they were doing, it on that day,".

Yes. This is getting as improbable as100 monkey theory and Shakespeare.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I'm well past being angry.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Conspiracy is not a coincidence.

Particularly when it is seditious conspiracy.

They will show you who they are by their deeds and words.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Well I have been talking about your continuing civil war for a long time now, but maybe there's more than one going on? The one you see, and the one you don't.

Schedule F in action. I wonder why it took so long for him to figure out how to start the process. He had four years, after all, and seems to only have started setting it up in the last months after he lost.

Clearly, he was intending to stay in office from long before he did the serious planning for January 5th.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Clearly, he was intending to stay in office from long before he did the serious planning for January 5th.
    Bearing in mind the git's narcissism, maybe he thought he could pull off a second term without the shenanigans, by the sheer force of his power over his loving, admiring, worshipping base. Lot's of people are saying.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    Bearing in mind the git's narcissism, maybe he thought he could pull off a second term without the shenanigans, by the sheer force of his power over his loving, admiring, worshipping base. Lot's of people are saying.
    He was claiming the election would be stolen long before it happened. He said he would only accept the results if he won. No way was he planning to give up the office if he lost.

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    Clearly, he was intending to stay in office from long before he did the serious planning for January 6th.
    If that was 'serious planning', I'd hate to see what he'd do if he weren't serious. As a coup attempt, it was pretty pathetic. Mr Trump's best quality has always been his blithering incompetence.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    If that was 'serious planning', I'd hate to see what he'd do if he weren't serious. As a coup attempt, it was pretty pathetic. Mr Trump's best quality has always been his blithering incompetence.
    With the missing texts from secret service details AND now the military there is much we don’t know and it seems to me that given one or two changes, especially with regard to Mike Pence’s refusal to co operate Trump wasn’t that far from turning things on their head. A question worth exploring is what would have followed in the days and weeks after if Pence went along with the plan? Would the missing texts shed light on various contingency’s??

What if any checks and balances are available? What would the Supreme Court do given it’s politicisation? Seems to me the US system Is vulnerable to and ripe for the picking!
    Last edited by Hallam; 08-03-2022 at 01:43 PM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

The coup didn't need to be legal. It barely needed to even appear legal. It just needed to be. They'd do the thing and work it out in the mix. I believe most coups are that way. I think it was a very close run thing. These people are super scary. I agree with Keith that Trump's incompetence and I'd add, his hubris, helped save the day.

The missing messages are a worry, eh? So many rats.

All any responsible body in a position of power needed to do on Jan 5th was look at Facebook and other social media. I couldn't believe they were surprised. Nobody south of the Mason Dixon line was.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 08-03-2022 at 04:05 PM.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Well re coups they had practice already in Bush vs Gore.

I think the NSA, and probably the FBI, could wipe their own media devices securely, but I don't doubt that the House investigative committee and the DoJ both actually already have the missing texts via cooperating with the comms carriers. You can toss your phone in the drink or an incinerator and the authorities can still get the info from the phone company. Unless the trmper conspirators have infiltrated and control the telephone companies, too. The phones were only purged when the news broke, not when the conspiracy was being hatched or when the coup was underway, but still, at this point the wiping just looks incriminating, weak excuses about standard protocol notwithstanding. The coincidental nature of all three of the agencies coming up with such stories is damning. The dog ate the homework and the check is in the mail. They, all of them, should have known better than to try to wipe the evidence and should also know it's a crime and that they are now on the hook for it. Expect some suicides and defections to follow the sudden retirements. They're toast unless the whole thing just goes away somehow, as if trmp's try had been successful. Oops.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

So where does that leave the country with three important security agencies implicated to the point they can no longer be trusted, the legislature compromised and the USSC a RW political cabal?
    More to the point what can be done, are there enough uncompromised and independent law bodies left to investigate, let alone bring to book the perpetrators?
    Given the depth of the corruption I'm not surprised that the AG is going slowly. He probably does not completely trust the DOJ, and with good reason. I think Hallams comment "ripe for the picking" is very apt.

What was it that Oscar Wilde said? To lose one parent is tragic. To lose both seems like carelessness..

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    I think the NSA, and probably the FBI, could wipe their own media devices securely, but I don't doubt that the House investigative committee and the DoJ both actually already have the missing texts via cooperating with the comms carriers. You can toss your phone in the drink or an incinerator and the authorities can still get the info from the phone company. Unless the trmper conspirators have infiltrated and control the telephone companies, too. The phones were only purged when the news broke, not when the conspiracy was being hatched or when the coup was underway, but still, at this point the wiping just looks incriminating, weak excuses about standard protocol notwithstanding. The coincidental nature of all three of the agencies coming up with such stories is damning. The dog ate the homework and the check is in the mail. They, all of them, should have known better than to try to wipe the evidence and should also know it's a crime and that they are now on the hook for it. Expect some suicides and defections to follow the sudden retirements. They're toast unless the whole thing just goes away somehow, as if trmp's try had been successful. Oops.
    I’m unclear on the significance of DHS and Pentagon communications also being erased but it sure looks fishy.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    I’m unclear on the significance of DHS and Pentagon communications also being erased but it sure looks fishy.
    Smells a bit fishy, too.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

It's a virtual admission of guilt. And though maybe unprovable, it makes all those involved unreliable in security terms. I do not buy the 'normal procedure' excuses, and excuses they are, not explanations.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

So where does that leave the country with three important security agencies implicated to the point they can no longer be trusted, the legislature compromised and the USSC a RW political cabal?
    More to the point what can be done, are there enough uncompromised and independent law bodies left to investigate, let alone bring to book the perpetrators?
    Given the depth of the corruption I'm not surprised that the AG is going slowly. He probably does not completely trust the DOJ, and with good reason. I think Hallams comment "ripe for the picking" is very apt.
    That summation is ......... whats the word? depressing/alarming/jebus H.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

I will be interested to see what the January 6th Committee gets their hands on Alex Jones phone records.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Bit player compared to the agencies and military.

Perhaps it was / is a group of 'fifth columnists' (see wiki or Google) set up during those 'no notes taken' meetings between Vlad and 'the Donald' to take down democracy as we know it . Can you visualize - "Dammit, Don, didn't I tell you time after time, just how to organize this ! ! ! "