Thread: 12 1/2 something something ?

Default 12 1/2 something something ?

Thanks for having me. I picked this boat up recently in Bellingham, Wa. to restore. I'm not certain exactly what I've got which makes the restoration process a bit more of a head scratcher. I don't know very much about it other than the guy's dad bought it back in the early '80's in Portland, Oregon with plans of restoring it and never got around to it. The length over all is 15 feet 8 inches. It has a lot of features from the 12 and 1/2's although the draft is slightly less and it has a few too many frames than the Herreshoff or the Haven. This one actually has 27 frames. Any clues on what this might be? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.IMG_2674.jpgIMG_2681.jpgIMG_2677.jpgIMG_2678.jpgIMG_2673.jpg

Default Re: 12 1/2 something something ?

Not sure but the transom with the hole for the tiller looks very 12 1/2. On the other hand the covering boards, lack of coaming, and mast partner through the foredeck do not. Can you post some pics that show more of the shape of her hull?

Fish Class?
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Seems like Alden designed something like that and about the same size. Check in John Alden and His Yacht Designs.

Interesting,……..
    Is her shear stake molded, aka Herreshoff style?
    She looks rather full bodied.

IMG_2782.jpgIMG_2780.jpgIMG_2778.jpgIMG_2779.jpgIMG_2777.jpgnrs5000 thanks for your input. There is a coaming that came with it that isn't in place yet. I have it laid across the boat in the first picture. It promises to be a neat restoration project no matter what kind of boat it is...I'm just thinking it would be nice to see some drawings or something rather than trying to reverse engineer my first wooden boat restoration.

Yes,… interesting. Definitely not a 12 1/2. The coaming is sort of fish class, but her stem shape and forward sections certainly aren’t.
    she certainly looks worthy of a nice rebuild. As you said, it would certainly help to know what she is.

It looks like a boat that was built by someone who was very familiar with the construction details of boats like the Herreshoff 12 1/2. Especially such details as the molded sheer strake, the plank keel and even the shape of the ballast keel. In the hardware I do not see a pair of bow chocks.

Hi JamesCaird,in the first set of photos you can see the bow chocks and IMHO, they are Herreshoff. Here are some additional photos IMG_2653.jpgIMG_2650.jpgIMG_2651.jpg

Johnw thank you for the Alden input, still researching his designs, so far it's been close but no cigar...

The molding on the rail of that boat really does look Herreshoff.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    The molding on the rail of that boat really does look Herreshoff.
    It has me baffled. It has the front end of the H-20 class, and has the length plus the rear of the 12 and 1/2... It's going to be an adventurous restoration to be sure. Maybe a bit of a Frankenstein boat?

Wonderful project...straight up plank on frame with massive timber backbone. All the bits are there, or enough to make them using the negative space. I did this with a small jolly boat years ago.. and enjoyed the archeology and learning immensely.

Bets of luck whatever it is, please post up your progress.

Is that hole in the foredeck a mast partner or an anchor hawse?

Having built the Somes Sound derivation of the H12, that I now sail, I have a great affinity for these boats. So I will be pleased to watch your progress in the restoration. No matter here actual lineage, your boat has many of the Herreshoff genes. I expect she will be a fun boat to sail.

That hole Dave is referring to appears to be for a mast. If so, that is well forward from that of an H12, I believe.

Jeff

Dave and Jeff I think those last two photos are of the hole in question. The bigger hole on the right is obviously for the mast, underneath and between the two holes there is a bulkhead.

Thanks,
    Einar