Thread: Winter dreams & basement boathouses

Default Winter dreams & basement boathouses

With winter approaching I'm considering tackling a boat build. The idea of building a boat has been percolating for a few years now and I feel like I'm finally ready to fully commit to the effort. In a perfect world I'd be building an Ilur but due to space constraints it's a dream I'll need to defer until I've built a dedicated workshop outbuilding. At this point, I'm constrained to working out of my basement workshop, which is generous in size but is limited by standard 32" wide doorways. However, I am fortunate that I don't need to deal with stairs, If I can rotate the boat 90 degrees, it can be carried directly out of the house as the basement is a walkout.

Like many before me, I'm struggling with choosing a design to build. I've considered going with a strip planked kayak but it feels like a compromise and I'm afraid if I don't love the idea I'll simply lose the enthusiasm partway through the build. What I would like is a lapstrake design, with a transom that can be build with traditional methods (planks not ply). Something that could also act as an intro of sorts to boatbuilding and help lay a foundation for the future ilur build. It could be sail and oar or oar only and it'd be nice if I had the option to add a small outboard. I'd be boating in protected waters, lakes and rivers in the Eastern Ontario area.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on boats that I should be considering or any commentary on my situation.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Winter dreams & basement boathouses

sawzall

Harry Bryan’s Daisy Skiff at 12’6” would be perfect. https://www.harrybryan.com/collectio...cts/daisy-12-6

He’s got a 15’ version, too.

Paul Gartside Spitfire pram.

I like the look of the Wolstenholme Mallard (https://wolstenholmedesign.com/portf.../dinghy-plans/) but I'm unsure whether it'll fit. Should I just reach out to the designer for the freeboard & draft dimensions? Or is there an easier way of assessing this dimension?

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    sawzall
    For the boat or the door frame

Wizbang's sawzall suggestion is certainly a possible exit strategy. At the very least, you could remove the door framing/casing and gain two to three inches in width. Otherwise, look for a low profile design that has graceful lines and could be built as a lapstrake. I don't recall the overall height of my Hv13 right now although I could check the plans later. I believe it is within your criteria. I built in glued lap with Eric's blessing, but the design is actually drawn for traditional clinker. The boat rows well and one could clamp on an outboard... but I wouldn't.

For sure, don't make compromises to what you want. The world does not need another abandoned, unloved, boat project. Neither do you.

Jeff

http://www.duck-trap.com/hskiffbook.html

All the info you'd need.
    Last edited by rbgarr; 08-28-2021 at 04:43 PM.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

A 16ft x 5'3" Oughted Penny Fee is 30.5 inches measuring from bottom of keel to top of stem as a total distance. In reality by the time your at the keel depth proper the freeboard will have reduced as well. But you could walk that straight out so long as you didn't go mad on the pointy bit of stem sticking up. You might only need the smaller Tammie Norrie. There's a sheet listing traditional scantlings included in the planset.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 08-28-2021 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakenedhands View Post
    I like the look of the Wolstenholme Mallard (https://wolstenholmedesign.com/portf.../dinghy-plans/) but I'm unsure whether it'll fit. Should I just reach out to the designer for the freeboard & draft dimensions? Or is there an easier way of assessing this dimension?
    Yes you could contact the designer, but from the drawings as published it is not hard to scale off the critical overall dimensions to see if you can extract it okay. A drawing of your basement and exit path and cut-outs of the boat to the same scale in plan and section might be a good exercise.

Your choice is virtually unlimited in this range, but the Mallard looks like a great boat to me, and good as a build project as well. If you like the Ilur how about building another of his designs - Morbic 11 or 12 perhaps? Probably there would be transferable lessons for the Ilur later on, and you'd already have a connection to the designer when you're ready for the larger build.

Good luck and enjoy yourself.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    For sure, don't make compromises to what you want. The world does not need another abandoned, unloved, boat project. Neither do you.

Jeff
    Wise words, If I'm being truly honest with myself I think I only have one boat in me to build so I'd want to make it count.

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post

Your choice is virtually unlimited in this range, but the Mallard looks like a great boat to me, and good as a build project as well. If you like the Ilur how about building another of his designs - Morbic 11 or 12 perhaps? Probably there would be transferable lessons for the Ilur later on, and you'd already have a connection to the designer when you're ready for the larger build.

Good luck and enjoy yourself.
    I think you're on to something, the Morbic 12 is a great size and Vivier's designs/constructions have been well documented. I'm just waiting on the study plans and will clean and measure my shop space before making a final decision. As for the door issue, I think I'll just have double doors installed...

Just an update here, I settled on the Aber, which is the Ilur's more svelte sibling. Now I'm waiting on materials and kit cutting quotes from a few local suppliers. Choices for marine ply appear to be Okoume or Sapele. Not sure if the Sapele is worth the premium... I'd like to finish the interior bright but paint the hull.

Hello Wkndhds,

To my eye the Sapele gives a nicer appearance than the Okume.

At the source I have forSapele/Okume the Sapele is a little over twice the cost of the Okume.

How many sheets will you need and what will be the difference in cost.???

I think it would be a shame to wish you had used Sapele every time you see the interior.

You could make up the $$$ difference by boat-building for FREE! What a novel idea that would be!!!

Regards,
    Alan

Bill Aitkin's Bruce Conklin design would suit.

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Oar/BruceConklin.html
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

She's a beaut but I've purchased plans for the Aber along with the CNC cutting files. I'm fully committed at this point, also glad to put analysis paralysis of indecision behind me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan71 View Post
    Hello Wkndhds,

To my eye the Sapele gives a nicer appearance than the Okume.

At the source I have forSapele/Okume the Sapele is a little over twice the cost of the Okume.

How many sheets will you need and what will be the difference in cost.???

I think it would be a shame to wish you had used Sapele every time you see the interior.

You could make up the $$$ difference by boat-building for FREE! What a novel idea that would be!!!

Regards,
    Alan
    Hi Alan, I tend to agree with you. I don't like living with regret so I'll just bite the bullet and go with sapele. Plans call for 2 sheets of 9mm and 4 sheets of 6mm. Noah's lists Okoume for $140 a sheet and Sapele is coming in at $209. It's a hefty premium but should be worth it in the end. I also asked them to quote on cutting the kit, which they can do for a reasonable price but spec'd meranti ply for the forms. Now that's not a premium i'm willing to pay! Waiting to hear back whether they're able to sub regular plywood.

If your shop is above grade, you could cut a temporary hole in the wall.
    I had this one closed up and painted by the end of the day.
    74E4E0A8-BF64-44B0-BEBC-79317F3C5630.jpg

I don't think it'll to come to that. I've measured the doorway widths and the keel to gunwale dimensions and I figure if I can rotate the hull 90 degrees I should be able to slip her out (with a little assistance). The plan is to complete the boat in two stages. Complete the hull inside, flip and dry fit all the interior trim pieces. From there, move the boat outside (under a temporary shelter) for paint and final fitting. I'm a little worried about the weight of the hull and maneuverability, might need to design a cradle and screw in some battens.

Here's the first door to contend with:

IMG_8881 2.jpg

Which leads to this exterior door:

IMG_8836.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wakened, just a suggestion, I would open the outer surface of the house wall out to the vertical battens, to make it easier to restucco the wall without showing a obvious patch. Also be careful to locate any hidden electrical wiring.

Rick