Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anchor Kit

Default Re: Anchor Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Generally anchors scale geometrically. Foe 1/8th of the mass, halve all the dimensions. It is the pull on the rode that sets the anchor, which is why the geometry must be just so.
    Hey Nick,
    I've been thinking a bit about this scaling thing, and my hypothesis is based on some sort of analogy to a "Reynolds Number". The "fluid" (sand / mud / gravel) size doesn't also scale with the anchor size, so a bigger anchor has an easier time setting. Maybe we need some smart PHD student to do a study !
    Cheers,
    Mark

Default Re: Anchor Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Mark0 View Post
    Hey Nick,
    I've been thinking a bit about this scaling thing, and my hypothesis is based on some sort of analogy to a "Reynolds Number". The "fluid" (sand / mud / gravel) size doesn't also scale with the anchor size, so a bigger anchor has an easier time setting. Maybe we need some smart PHD student to do a study !
    Cheers,
    Mark

Fishermens style anchors have been found from the Viking era, so there is shed loads of empirical data for them. THere was research carried out in the era of flying boats that resulted in the lightweight designs. Bruce built on this work when developing his range of crows foot boat anchors and the big anchors used by the oil industry. Big ship stockless are another issue. HHP anchors are not bad, but the other patterns like Halls are more or less clump weights used to lay out enough chain for the friction of the chain on the bottom to hold the ship.
    The key issue was found to be fluke angle, which needed to be adjusted for a soft mud bottom or a harder sand, gravel, cobble bottm.
    In additiion to fluke angle, big palms, and sharpening leading edges to allow theem to cut into the bottom are important. It is always going to be broad brush engineering as bottom mechanics are so variable, from soft mud through to hard bolder clay
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.