Thread: The Great Row (can also translate as Great Peace)

Default The Great Row (can also translate as Great Peace)

Wish there was an easy way of embedding photos from Facebook. But I'll do it this way, share a few 'teasers' and give the link to the club FB page where I've gathered fotos and film from our 3 day 'rowing raid' last weekend. I think FB also offers to translate the texts to (a kind of) English, good enough to follow what is being told.

The short version - the regional Coastal Association gives a local club the nod to arrange the yearly rowing raid. This year, it went to a Coastal Association club and a sports club to design the route and make the plans. Holsnøy Kystlag and Kvernbit I.L., are situated on the north side of Bergen, Norway. They made a well packed event. Three days of rowing with cultural, historic or natural science breaks where local professors, museum educators and marine researchers gave short talks linked to the area. They offered instruction on sailing Oselvar for those who haven't tried it yet on the first evening. About 55 rowers came, bringing their boats from as far away as Stavanger. Most rowed Oselvar færing, but there were also several seksæring and some Strandebarmer færing in the group.

We had great weather and dominated the fjord with our flotilla.
    I'm not sure how far we rowed, but the usual is about 15 km pr day.

All the photos and texts are here....
    https://www.facebook.com/Austevollkystlag
    Most are mine, but I've added some from other rowers that belong to our club.

I'll add a few to give a taste of what the FB pages offer.

Last edited by lagspiller; 08-27-2021 at 04:17 PM.

Default Re: The Great Row (can also translate as Great Peace)

The boat I built. I lent it to friends for the event. They are giving me a lift to the boat I will join for the weekend.

It was great weather. Some jumped ship mid-fjords and took a dip to cool off.

Some, like me, stayed comfortably aboard and enjoyed the views.

A stop on the old WWII German airstrip, now a bird sanctuary shared by cows. Herdla.

One of the coves we visited, on the way to the bird sanctuary. We had lunch and got a first intro to what we should look for by a museums ornitholog. The sanctuary is an important stop for migrating birds - some on the way from our area or north Norway to Spain, France, and northern Africa. Others on the way to South America!

These guys had trouble finding a landing spot that wouldn't leave them high and dry as the tide went out. Not that it mattered much. The færing only weigh about 80 kg (+ equipment) so they are easily lifted. The bigger seksæring need more people, but the crew is bigger, too.
    Last edited by lagspiller; 08-27-2021 at 04:45 PM.

Finally, the link to the event invitation, published on the regional Coastal Association webpage. There is a fine map and a description of all the landings.
    https://www.kystkultur.no/?aid=19701...ukRI_S-XFF8FF8
    Swipe the photo for the map.
    The photo was from last year's event. Pretty much right on my doorstep.

Looks Excellent!

This was a lovely post. Thank you for sharing. On the facebook page, there's a link to a fine video. I'm not sure what they're saying, but there seems to be great camradery and good scenery. Here in the PNW we could certainly learn something from Norwegians about shoreline development. Their homes and boat sheds don't have all the ugly bluster ours do...
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

This is my boat being rowed by friends. I built her about 10 years ago and made a report of the build in the forum.
    This pace is about 3.5 - 4 knots. Typical to put a slight pause/glide phase in the technique because the boats glide very well. Hardly and momentum lost and the rowers get a relaxed rythmn.