Thread: Starting my Petrel Play build

Default Starting my Petrel Play build

My first strip planked boat and my second boat overall

IMG_4071.jpg

Default Re: Starting my Petrel Play build

Apologies for the sideways image, it isn't sideway on my computer and this forum doesn't allow me to rotate it.

Looking forward to watching the build.
    Looks like a good start!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

I’ll be watching as well. I did a stitch and glue Greenland style kayak many years ago. Have been thinking of doing a strip planked boat…..

Are you cutting your own strips ? Cedar or something else ?

Cheers
    Dave

No I don't have all those tools or much space to buy those tools. I have bead & cove strips of yellow cedar, walnut and red cedar. I'm still struggling to find the pattern I want but hoping it comes together once I start clamping some on

I’ve watched many of Nick Schade’s videos. His boats are just gorgeous.

D

Good luck, do a search on strip planked kayak and look at all the images for inspiration on pattern.
    I suggest simple is best.

After 5 strippers - I would just paint the boat.
    Not as pretty but much more practical and quicker.

As a matter of fact, my boat needs new glass. it will be painted!!

Pity you are doing bead and cove, IMHO, how will you put the cove on strips you have to trim on the ends to fit?

Nice. A friend built one and it is a joy to paddle.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by upchurchmr View Post
    Good luck, do a search on strip planked kayak and look at all the images for inspiration on pattern.
    Pity you are doing bead and cove, IMHO, how will you put the cove on strips you have to trim on the ends to fit?
    No idea, wasn't in the instructions :P Guess I'll have to figure that out.

That's the reason I went to square edged strips.
    I had to find a 1/4" dia round file to make the joints.
    Wasn't very good at it.

Once you get into it you will see the issue.
    Was there any discussion of using a heat gun to twist the strips towards the ends to get them to lay down without force?

I don't understand how this is an issue. It takes seconds to file and get the fit. Meanwhile, the curved sides go together very neatly with the T&G strips.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by upchurchmr View Post
    That's the reason I went to square edged strips.
    Was there any discussion of using a heat gun to twist the strips towards the ends to get them to lay down without force?
    Yes, I'm basically reading Nick Schade's book and watching his videos. Though in his videos he uses square edge strips so there was no mention of bead and cove though the book did have a section on pros and cons I'll revisit. Due to my lack of a table saw or planer I just ordered the strips pre milled. I imagine if they don't come together perfectly worst case I'll be making little triangles to fill the gaps.

I built a Guillemot strip kayak from Nick Schade's book a couple of years ago. I milled my own C&B western red cedar strips. The cove and bead do fit nicely together as you're working your way up the curved hull. Its pretty easy to get a nice tight fit- it will become pretty obvious after you've done a few. Not to worry about the cove and bead if you have to taper some strips. A sharp block plane works wonders.

- I tried to use as few staples as possible to hold the strips to the forms. Blue tape works as a simple clamping tool. Also cut a bunch of "C" shaped plywood pieces. The inside throat of the "C" is just big enough to fit over a wood strip. Then you can use a clamp to hold the strip in place. You can see some them in action here as I built the cockpit surround.
    20160709_160408.jpg

- Building the cockpit surround with WRC & mahogany
    20160930_124605.jpg

- Using contrasting wood colors makes a distinctive boat.
    Rich Boat.jpg

Did you glue the strips to the taped forms? I was hoping to avoid staples and covered the forms in masking tape. I'm going to attempt to hot glue them to the tape with a small amount of glue. Your kayak looks great. Thanks for the build photo, you used a border strip and them cut them to fill there and glued them to the edge of the border?

Yes, I covered the forms with masking tape.
    Except for the very first strip at the sheer line,the strips are not attached to the forms in any way.First strip stapled to forms, then for each succeeding strip I ran a bead of glue down the edge of the incoming strip. Then each strip was held tightly to the forms with the "C" clamps and lots of pieces of blue tape and pressed onto the existing strip before it.
    I will also say that I didn't have to heat or steam bend anything. The strips always bent easily.
    Yes, I used a border strip between the cedar and mahogany. That was the lightest color wood I could find in my shop - bass wood I think.
    Building the deck, I was adding strips up from the sheer line. I got a few strips up toward the cockpit and decided to make the cockpit recess out of mahogany. So I just hand drew out the shape I wanted, and then laid out the curved basswood 1/4 inch square piece. And note, there was no bevel or cove on this piece.
    20160712_142951.jpg
    And note the cockpit surround - alternating vertical strips of cedar and mahogany.
    20161129_184544.jpg
    Last edited by RichW; 08-27-2021 at 04:07 PM.

Having a lot of trouble with the sheer strip, think I went too thin on it trying to get it to bend at the ends too. Staples don't work as well as I would have thought. Thinking I'l going to try with a heat gun next...if I went too thin at the ends is that OK or should I start over with fresh strips? The problem is they're thinner than the width of the staples

Should be OK. That narrow reinforced packing tape is handy in spots like that.
    -Dave

How’s the build going, Skerry?

I'll be honest I've sorta dead walled at the sheer strip and feel pretty frustrated. I thought I finally had it on right today and realize one side had popped out and went through a struggle trying to get it stapled back on with all the pieces around it popping out. I put it on with a heat gun but it seemed to offer limited help. It's the main reason I haven't made much progress. I'm back to first step of trying to figure out how to make this sheer strip keep shape. I'm starting to think I need a steam box or something or maybe I should try with the cedar instead of the walnut...might bend easier? Any advice is welcome I really want to make progress on this.

If I make the strips thin at the end the staples go over the whole strip which means I have to remove the staples to put other strips on so they lose their shape if I do that....would a nail gun be better? Maybe harder to remove though...

Skerry, will your staple gun also shoot short brads ? ? I wonder if something like that may help

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

There's another way to hold the strips in place. Take some monofilament fishing line or, better still, synthetic sinew sold for SOF kayaks. You can run the line around screws in the forms and then around the strips to pull them down tight. You glue it up like this, and after the glue has set, cut the lines and pull them out. Sounds weird but works extremely well, especially where a lot of tension is needed.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Skerry, will your staple gun also shoot short brads ? ? I wonder if something like that may help

Rick
    The staple gun won't as it's a manual one, I could find one or get one or my air compressor...as long as it can be removed perhaps it would hold better than staples. I suspect the issue also is the frames I got are not made of solid wood so the staples don't hold as well.

Soaking some towels in hot (very hot) water, and then wrapping them around the strips, can do in lieu of a steaming box. Much simpler. Wear gloves. The strips get as floppy as cooked noodles, pretty quickly.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com