Thread: Pathfinder key measurements

Default Pathfinder key measurements

Hi Folks,

New to the forum, been lurking for a while. I'm looking at a Pathfinder build, but have 2 preliminary questions which previous builders should have a view on (have emailed JW, but suspect he's a bit busy atm...)

1. What's the bunk flats useable length? I'm 6' 3", and although I'll accept a little snugness, I don't want to be bent double at the knees all night if camping out(!)

2. Does anyone know if the standard plans include the cuddy/cabin? It'll be an essential addition for family peace...

Thanks for all thoughts/responses.

Default Re: Pathfinder key measurements

I'm 5'9, and I'm sure there was more than six inches spare because we put a couple of big drybags down at the foot end when overnighting.
    Back when I built mine (possibly the first cabin version to launch), the cabin plans were a few extra $, but that was over ten years ago.
    The top pic here is Kaiarahi, first day on the water
    https://www.woodenboat.com/boat-plans-kits/pathfinder

Pete
    I have one troll on ignore

Thanks Pete - that's very useful. Sounds like sleeping will be ok - I'll probably be on the cockpit seats anyway, with wife and daughter in the cuddy... I've fired off an email to check on the plans 'content'. It's a bit difficult to understand the various electronic or hard-copy options, but it'll all become clear one way or the other.

If you are facebook inclined, John Welsford has a great facebook group that is fairly active. Someone can certainly share some experience with you.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Thanks Ben - good idea, will do.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

If you build the berths to be 'quarter berth' style, running under the cockpit seats, even part way, you'll have all the room you need.
    The cockpit looks like a squeeze for 6'3". when you build, build for an infill in the cockpit so you can sleep on a diagonal. You can build the infill so it stows somewhere really neat, and everyone here will be impressed. (As long as its made of wood and is boaty its a very easy crowd to impress , especially when you show pictures!)
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

I hear and obey, Oh Gypsie person - and was already trying to work that particular issue out(!).