Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skerry
    • Aug 2021

Trying to decide next build

I've been struggling to decide my next boat and hoping some people have faced the same question and have some advice. I've narrowed down between the SCAMP, Pathfinder, Calendar Islands 18, Pocketship, Guider but am open to hearing about other designs I may have overlooked.

Basically I want a sailboat that is able to keep my family safe to go sail camping in the islands of the puget sound and Salish sea, a place with strong currents and winds often. We are two adults and two younger kids.

So things I think about:

Has to be beachable, basically load up camping gear, food and water and head to islands for camping, pull up onto a beach a launch from it later
    Has to be stable, nothing that can easily capsize if my kids distract me and a gust catches us by surprise.
    Somewhat comfortable for four people to cruise a couple miles. I don't plan on doing any super long voyages with the whole family. Just getting from boat launch to a couple miles out to some islands. I may do extended voyages myself or with my wife. So single handed ability would be great. I plan to use it for the Salish 100 alone or with my wife.
    Has to be trailerable and 18 ft or less.

Thanks for any input.
  • offbelayknife
    juvenile geriatric
    • Jul 2021

Re: Trying to decide next build

Is the 18' a hard cutoff due to storage? The Guider is a hair over at 18' 7". Long Steps is my current favorite to dream about building, but again is a bit long.

Comment

• skerry
      • Aug 2021

My garage is 20 ft long, I can angle for a 17-18 ft boat but also the hulls start getting so heavy at that point that it becomes a difficult problem.

Comment

• Larks
        Larks
        • Jul 2007

Hartley TS16 or TS18? in the early 90’s I met a couple cruising a TS16 up around Indonesia after having sailed it from Perth, Western Australia - they’d intended to just sail up the west coast of Australia a bit but kept on going...mostly beach camping but quite a few long passages and overnighters.
        Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
        “It’s risky”, said experience.
        “It’s pointless”, said reason.
        “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Comment

• Autonomous
          Skerry, Dude
          • Aug 2012

There is an available hinge for the trailer tongue that shortens the parked trailer.
          The Scamp is awfully small for a growing family and will get smaller as the kids grow.
          Ross Lillistone's Periwinkle is lovely and has a versatile sail plan. Ross Lillistone Wooden Boats: Periwinkle - Design Essay
          CLC's Southwester Dory is a looker but 3" longer than the Guilder. The footwell gets cramped with the optional motor well but it has lots of flotation-dry stowage and should do well in a capsize recovery.
          ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
          ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
          ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
          ♦ George Orwell

Comment

• biglad
            • Dec 2010

What about a Caledonia Yawl? At the time, I was choosing between the CY and the Pathfinder. If it were me, I'd probably go for something bigger than the SCAMP.
            The boat I'm building now is about 30mm smaller than my garage. I've put the strongback on wheels, so I can nudge it about a bit. Could you fit a bigger boat in at an angle?

Comment

• KeelBasa
              • Sep 2019

Originally posted by biglad
              What about a Caledonia Yawl? At the time, I was choosing between the CY and the Pathfinder. If it were me, I'd probably go for something bigger than the SCAMP.
              The boat I'm building now is about 30mm smaller than my garage. I've put the strongback on wheels, so I can nudge it about a bit. Could you fit a bigger boat in at an angle?
              I'm building a Calendar Island Yawl 18 (CIY 18) from Chase Small Craft. I chose it because its very roomy for a growing family. Im building it diagonally in my two car garage. Its a big boat, but when I sailed hull no. 3 at small reach, she was very easy to handle in chop and a brisk wind. Clint's kits are cut very nicely on his CNC and he's put a lot if thought into making his kits builder friendly.

Comment

• Woxbox
                • Feb 2006

I'd say Pathfinder for kids. A roomy, stable boat.
                -Dave

Comment

• stromborg
                  • Sep 2010

The September 2014 issue of Small Boats Monthly features an article on Sparrow a Caledonia Yawl hauling it's family of 4 around Alaska. As a design it ticks a lot of boxes for a lot of people. If I were in your shoes an open boat like the CY would be at the top of my list. Build a nice canvas dodger/tent to create shelter, pick your weather windows and head out.

Normally this is where I'd put in a plug for the Port Townsend WBF in a few weeks, but my personal hesitancy about attending large gatherings grows every day.

ETA: The Calendar Island Yawl is great but a lot smaller than I think a family of four with gear would find comfortable.
                  Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
                  H.A. Calahan

Comment

• skerry
                    • Aug 2021

Ugh I really want to go to the boat festival but am on call that week for work

Comment

• skerry
                      • Aug 2021

Wow that Caledonia Yawl is beautiful, I'm a sucker for double enders. I just finished a CLC Skerry but it's far too small for camp cruising with more than two people. It's build around floor sitting. the CY looks to be 2 ft wider and 3 ft longer.

Comment

• stromborg
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by skerry
                        Ugh I really want to go to the boat festival but am on call that week for work
                        I'm on vacation specifically arranged to go...but I'll more likely be doing a solo cruise instead.

The CY is proving to be quite the boat. In truth much more versatile than my Eun Mara which is only a couple of inches wider and longer, though I do have a lovely cabin to hunker down in when I want to get out of the weather.
                        Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
                        H.A. Calahan

Comment

• KeelBasa
                          • Sep 2019

I think you may be thinking of the Calendar Islands 16. the 18 is a MUCH larger boat, the size of a caledonia except with a transom. Here is a pic of mine in my garage. She's 18' stem to stern and 5'-10" beam, weighs around 500lbs bare hull. it's a pretty big boat.IMG_20210813_094442_01.jpg My 6 year old daughter fits comfortably in the lazarette with the lid closed.

Comment

• skerry
                            • Aug 2021

Originally posted by KeelBasa
                            I think you may be thinking of the Calendar Islands 16. the 18 is a MUCH larger boat, the size of a caledonia except with a transom. Here is a pic of mine in my garage. She's 18' stem to stern and 5'-10" beam, weighs around 500lbs bare hull. it's a pretty big boat.[ATTACH=CONFIG]93398[/ATTACH] My 6 year old daughter fits comfortably in the lazarette with the lid closed.

Not sure if you’re replying to me. The 18 is one I was considering. Bonus because it comes in a kit but it’s so new and so few built I was having trouble committing to it. I don’t know a ton about boat design so I have a hard time signing off on it alone whereas something like the scamp has a ton of expirements and data I can look at.

Comment

• stromborg
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by KeelBasa
                              I think you may be thinking of the Calendar Islands 16. the 18 is a MUCH larger boat, the size of a caledonia except with a transom.
                              My bad, I was thinking of the 16.
                              Steve

H.A. Calahan

Comment

Working...