Thread: Paint

Default Paint

OK - On my new toy old Lightning, I am hoping to match the original color of the boat, which is an interesting medium blue. I sent the Sports Illustrated Cover to George Kirby and asked him to match the topside color.

I now have a quart of Kirby paint, and it is very close, but . . .

The color of the paint in the can looks right, but, in my tests on a scrap piece of cedar, the color comes out lighter than it looks in the can.

It didn't put any primer under the 1st coat, and I thought it probably came out looking light because the cedar under the paint was light.

But I put a 2nd coat on yesterday and, while it is a little darker, it is still a good bit lighter than the way it looks in the can. It looked much darker when first applied, but got lighter as it dried.

I would appreciate feedback on what I might be doing wrong and how to get a better result?

Default Re: Paint

Have you contacted George for his (knowledgeable) opinion on how best to proceed ?

(Disclaimer : I have not bought any paint yet )

Rick

It doesn't matter how the dried paint looks compared to the paint in the can. What matters is how it looks compared to the Sports Illustrated cover. That is what Kirby matched.

Jeff

Jeff - what I am trying to say is that the way the paint looks in the can matches the SI Cover, but that, when it dries, it no longer matches.

I haven't talked to George yet. He is at the big boat show. I will give him a call on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    It doesn't matter how the dried paint looks compared to the paint in the can. What matters is how it looks compared to the Sports Illustrated cover. That is what Kirby matched.
    I'm surprised your Kirby's is drying down lighter than when applied. Usually paint dries darker, whether over primer or a first coat.

Too, trying to match a four-color printed page's blue with pigments used to color paint is a c*rapshot at best; they're not at all the same thing physically.

Then there's the perception of the two 'objects' by different individual's eyes under different light conditions; even the same sample may appear quite different under different lighting... Google metamerism sometime.

Matching paint to paint is a tricky enough proposition. Blue is one of the hardest colors to get a 'perfect' match with.

You might have had better results if you'd been able to send George a decent-size sample (dime-size or larger if possible) of the original blue off your Lightning. He's better at allowing for fade in paint than the challenge matching your printed-page color sample.

Given the adaptability of the human eye, you may find that over time your new blue 'grows' on you enough to be satisfying under enough of the wide variety of lighting conditions you'll be viewing your newly-painted hull. And there's always next time, when your hull deserves a repaint.

Even at that it might be worth a call to him (he's typically answered my calls after a ring or three) to discuss your situation. He may be amenable to doing a second batch but even that's not going to be a dead-cert solution for nailing the color you see compared to the color he sees.

Last case would be to take your quart of Kirby's to a paint store, have them add just a pinch of black universal pigment. Exactly how much to add's gonna be a shot in the dark of course, since there's no going back.

For that value George might be able to offer some assistance. Universal pigments commonly in use today work with pretty much any alkyd/oil/latex paint base.

it could be you are matching the colour of the boat on SI, depending on what film and camera filters used it very much changed the appearance of the photographs..
    Just an amateur bodging away..