Thread: Cedar Strip Boat Repair Advice Needed

Default Cedar Strip Boat Repair Advice Needed

I have an antique cedar strip boat that I'm in the process of getting seaworthy. It had a cracked transom that I've repaired with fiberglass but the rest of the boat has some leaks that came to light when I put 6 inches of water in the boat. I suspect there are more as it looks as if the previous owner allowed standing water to collect in the boat leading to degradation of the wood hull. I'm not looking to do a period authentic restoration. I just want to make it seaworthy. My plan was to sand the inside of the hull between the ribs just enough to clear off the worst of the damage being careful not to over sand using a Makita 1 & 1/8 x 21 inch belt sander. Next step in my plan is apply a penetrating sealer to strengthen the wood hopefully right out to the outer hull. Lastly I plan to apply resin and fiberglass to give lasting waterproofing to the hull. Does this appear to be a sound procedure or not?

Default Re: Cedar Strip Boat Repair Advice Needed

Nothing that you paint on the inside will penetrate all the way through to the outside. Go over her with a brad awl or icepick to see how deep the rot goes.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Does the hull already have fiberglass on it or does it just need some time to swell up and stop leaking?

Be careful about putting water in the boat. Boats are designed to keep water outside. If the hull is compromised you may do it more damage.

Quote Originally Posted by crowmoon View Post
    .........My plan was to sand the inside of the hull between the ribs just enough to clear off the worst of the damage being careful not to over sand using a Makita 1 & 1/8 x 21 inch belt sander......
    I'd be extremely cautious of that. That sounds like it is more like a power file than a normal belt sander, and they can make an awful mess very quickly. Fundamentally, belt sanders of any description aren't a great plan on a concave surface.

Peerie Maa is correct, nothing will penetrate thru wood unless it is rotten.

Nothing restores rotten wood except replacing the wood.

Penetrating epoxy is an advertising gimmick, it only penetrates the very outside broken layer of wood, or endgrain (and then only a short distance_ perhaps 1/4"}.

If you want to apply resin and fiberglass - make it epoxy. Polyester resin bonds poorly and doesn't seal as well as epoxy.