Thread: What happened with Porter-Cable 7518 routers?

Default What happened with Porter-Cable 7518 routers?

The porter-Cable #7518 3-1/4 HP router has disappeared from the market. Not available.
    Anybody know why?

Default Re: What happened with Porter-Cable 7518 routers?

Looks like Stanley Black+Decker are giving up on the brand.

https://toolguyd.com/porter-cable-co...-brand-032020/

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    The porter-Cable #7518 3-1/4 HP router has disappeared from the market. Not available.
    Anybody know why?
    A couple of years ago I wanted to buy a 7518. I've got a USA made 7538 going on 25 years and it's a bulletproof workhorse. After checking around for the 7518 I was surprised to read that the tool had not been made in the US for a few years. Outsourced to Mexico where they apparently suffered a drop in quality. I found a couple for sale but passed. I don't think it's disappearance is any great loss.

PC has been floundering for years and is a shadow of its former self. I read that they no longer intend to market hand power tools and will aim their efforts at an "industrial" market, whatever that means.

Porter-Cable seems to think that they still make it:

https://www.portercable.com/products...ed-router/7518
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

If you click buy now on that page it says:

WE'RE SORRY
    We couldn't find any sellers for this product.

Hard to believe they stopped production. No new stock, no new accessories, bearings, collets, bushings....WTF? Local tool guy told me almost a year ago when I went in to buy guide bushings for SOSS hinge jigs.

Damn shame frankly.

Damn shame, but it’s what Stanley/bd do. Take something and just let it die.

Wow. I had no idea. Last time I bought a router was probably 20 years ago. Back then, it seemed like Porter Cable owned the router market. How things change.

so who makes the best routers for the money now?

makita??
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I think I’ll send my old Elu out to have new bearings put in. The first ones lasted 28 years. The Elu is the one Black and Decker copied when they first came out with Dewalt routers. My other ones are Bosch and Makita.

Festool makes great routers but unless you're a production shop the price is out of line. Hitachi makes a great 3 1/4 hp plunge router for big jobs.

I'm going to run my Porter Cables til they die. Any decent electric motor repair shop can give them a tune up when they get old; new brushes etc.

I needed a new trim router and bought a Dewalt compact with a cord. Variable speed and ballsy as hell for a small machine. I'm perfectly happy with it.

I've never been happy with Makita routers and have used nothing but PC for the last ten to fifteen years.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    so who makes the best routers for the money now?

makita??

Bosch.

The Bosch MRF23EVS would be the replacement for a P-C 7518. And Bosch routers are, I believe made in the USA or Mexico rather than China. My Bosch 1617 is US-made.

Made for mounting in a router table. Height adjustable from the bottom with a hex wrench, so you don't need that multi-hundred dollar router lift.

And it's honest about the power unlike the Porter-Cable. Draw 15 amps, and claims 2.3 horsepower, which is about what you get from 15 amps (15 amps of 110 VAC yields 2.2 horsepower, at 115 VAC you get 2.3 horsepower, at 120 VAC, 2.4 horsepower.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/bos...23evs-34701-p/

$230 or so. Or get it factory reconditioned for $170 from CPO Tools: https://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-r...f23evs-rt.html

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Bosch.

The Bosch MRF23EVS would be the replacement for a P-C 7518.
    Thanks for the heads up on this router. I've always wondered why makers never included lift capability with their machines. I've never owned a router table because I've always cringed at the thought of using an expensive router for just the utility of the motor and then having to shell out another $3-4 hundred on a lift. This one looks like it could easily go back and forth between the table and a bench.
    Last edited by Dusty Yevsky; 08-18-2021 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Yevsky View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on this router. I've always wondered why makers never included lift capability with their machines. I've never owned a router table because I've always cringed at the thought of using an expensive router for just the utility of the motor and then having to shell out another $3-4 hundred on a lift. This one looks like it could easily go back and forth between the table and a bench.

Take a look at the Bosch 1617EVS - it is similar, but you can it in a kit with both a plunge and a fixed base. And the fixed base has the most comfortable handles anybody ever put on a router.

It has the same adjust-from-the-bottom capability. Bosch also sells a separate base for it, designed for router table use: install that in your router table and just move the motor.

One caveat, though, with Bosch routers: the base is aluminum, and so is the motor. Aluminum likes to oxidize, and AlOX likes to marry any AlOx that it is in contact with: make sure you keep the the two grease with dielectric grease or wax, lest you find it . . . difficult to adjust the router or remove it from the base.