Thread: William Atkins "Newt" Inboard Dingy

Default William Atkins "Newt" Inboard Dingy

Has anybody out there ever built subject boat?...I'm lofting her now and at first thought about "Irriducible" but "Newt" is a bit larger and looks a bit safer for this old man with his foot neuropathy......plan to power her with Honda CX200 8 hp engine with centrifugal clutch and BMI Carts p/n 200688-41 forward/reverse unit. One way or another I WILL launch her the summer of 2022.
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation......Thoreau

Default Re: William Atkins "Newt" Inboard Dingy

What do folks think of putting a GY6 scooter engine in a boat like this?

https://www.amazon.com/4-Stroke-Cyli...9160105&sr=8-4

Lovely boat but I'd like a skeg to protect the prop and let her tow better with the rudder shipped. Or at least a strut that's scimitar shaped and goes as deep as the prop to shed stuff. I'd also consider having the throttle and shift aft so's to steer with a tiller.

Or maybe engine controls right on the box with steering a simple push/pull lever at the gunnel.

Following!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Really neat. Seems like a perfect candidate for electric power…
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Weston Farmer's "Irrriducible" has a skeg shaped to protect the prop and I think I'll go that route or at least a strut shaped as you suggested.........and throttle and shift lever will be located aft As for power, electric sounds fine until you consider the size and weight of batteries for several hours of boating plus at this point in my life I want a little low level noise in my boat and the little Honda sounds really nice at any RPM.......after all, it's all gonna be real, real quiet at some point and I don't want to rush it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Lovely boat but I'd like a skeg to protect the prop and let her tow better with the rudder shipped. Or at least a strut that's scimitar shaped and goes as deep as the prop to shed stuff.
    I think this is an excellent suggestion. Similar sized Atkin's Tinkle Bell has this:

TinkleBell-3.gif

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Utilities/TinkleBell.html

Foe my "Newt", I'm planning for a steel scimitar shaped device that would be thin, bolted to the keel, and extend down below the prop..........I don't want to alter her bottom to the extent of "Tinkle Bell". By the way, the transmission I ordered and received from BMI Products is really silky smooth in shifting between F/N/ and R.....the drive is direct (no reduction)......it appears to be a well-made product and is rated at 16 hp which is about twice what I will be using.

Am making some progress with my "Newt" in spite of hobbeling around in my shop with neuropathy in my feet & legs. Several years ago at one of the Woodenboat shows at Mystic Seaport I heard a most wonderful sound coming off the water surrounding the show......it was coming from a very small boat near the shore and I can only describe it as a "plonka....plonka....plonka" sound.....I know that seems ridiculous to describe an engine's sound that way bit that's the best I can do. At this time my plan is to power "Newt" with a 6.5 hp air-cooled Honda commercial engine driving a Go-Kart transmission with F/N/R control but that wonderful sound coming off the water that day at Mystic has really "got me".........Mr. William Atkin stated in 1932 that 3.5 - 5 hp would be adequate for his "Newt"........can anyone tell me what make or model of engine would this have been and would the wonderful sound coming across the water at Mystic be from an engine like that? Many thanks for assistance.

That would be one of the old 'one-lunger' engines, made by companies such as Acadia. Slow turning, and a lot more torque than an air-cooled Honda.

maybe like one of these ??

So, where could I find one like this (the beautiful little green one) for my boat? I would suspect collectors are many and I certainly am not one of those so I wouldn't pretend to know the price for something like this.....can you enlighten me?..........many thanks for taking the time to show me this little heartbreaker!

well I don't know... (i'm no collector and it's not my engine or u tube video, you know ?)

around here, you'll occasionally see something turn up at a flea market or machinery show where old gearheads gather..
    searching in the 'boat parts' section on craigslist for "old.. vintage.. or antique" has turned up a few interesting lumps ranging in price from $200-$500

here's one available right now near me that's remarkably similar to the little green one, unfortunately looks to be missing the bronze carburetor and maybe other brass bits (grease cups.. compression release valve.. still has the little shaft driven water pump and fuel priming cup though), but maybe that's not a big problem for someone more familiar with these.. the manifold, though, might be tricky.. seems a bit pricey incomplete as it sits.., maybe that's why it's been available for almost a year or more ?

https://hartford.craigslist.org/bpo/...548781981.html

and look; here's one running installed in a little skiff.. cool video ! -->

Last edited by coelcanth; 11-05-2022 at 04:07 PM.

I ran across a video of a small motorboat being powered with a little diesel and while it didn't grab me like the "hit or miss" did. it did sound pretty good to my tired old ears so now I'm researching small air cooled diesels and there's many of them out there. Kohler has them and there's a selection of them on Amazon as well. I haven't completely given up on a little "hit or miss" but I'm not interested in having to look for early vintage parts....many thanks to all for their comments and assistance.