Thread: Gummy Cetol on new hull

Default Gummy Cetol on new hull

I have a problem to face soon. Getting ready to finish a new boat. I wiped a coat of West epoxy with 407 fairing compound on the outside of the planked hull to fill any irregularities and then, after waiting, sanded it smooth. Then I put a coat of West epoxy on the inside of the hull and lightly sanded it. After waiting for about ten days, I brushed a single coat of Cetol Marine Light on the inside of the hull. Turning the hull over, I have now roll-tipped three coats of Brightside on the outside of the hull. The Brightside is looking good. The Cetol is still gummy, and it has that orange color I dislike.
    Eventually I will have to face that non-hardening Cetol. They say use soap and water and a scrub brush. That is easy on the hull exterior, but with 14 frames and a shape like a bathtub, it will not be so easy to clean and rinse. Any suggestions? If not, I will haul it outside and attack it with soap, water, and a garden hose; then turn it over and leave it to dry. With the exterior finished, any weather should not cause a problem while sitting outside.
    I do not use Cetol often. I want to show the interior wood grain. Is it the Cetol Marine Natural that has the better color?

Default Re: Gummy Cetol on new hull

Yes, the "Natural" doesnt have such a strong orange tinge to it.

But, sorry, not sure whts with the non-cure, unless I understand you to say that any blush did not get addressed? If thats correct, thats the problem.

I've had good luck with CETOL natural over CPES but not so much over regular epoxy. But the thought that the problem is likely blush is good, so wash, light sand, and wash again.

G'luck

That was my best guess; I didn't clean the blush off well enough. Note to self: do not use Cetol where it is hard to clean off the blush, and use the Cetol Natural, not the Light.

Thanks for the comments.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

You put cetol over epoxy and it has not gone hard ?
    blush I recon
    i have done about everything imaginable with cetol in terms of not following the recipe, never had it not go off eventually. It dries slowly , but it dries .

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    You put cetol over epoxy and it has not gone hard ?
    blush I recon
    I have done about everything imaginable with cetol in terms of not following the recipe, never had it not go off eventually. It dries slowly , but it dries .
    Thanks for the encouragement. I did some trim today; will do some decking next; then my wife and I will be gone for four weeks; will see if there is any change when we return.

After waiting 2+ months, the cetol is still gummy; thus, I bought a large spray bottle of "Goo Gone" and a roll of paper towels and am spray/wiping the entire interior of the hull. Not fun; not proud of the situation, but you do what you have to.

If CETOL didn't work why would you try another version just for the color?

Quote Originally Posted by upchurchmr View Post
    If CETOL didn't work why would you try another version just for the color?
    Good question; I may just stop where I am now. Additional finish can be added at a later date if I decide it will be beneficial.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

ugh...thats gonna be messy i recon.
    i suppose after x amount of time you have no choice, but i can't see any fault but amine blush

I had done some cleaning before applying the cetol, so I was surprised that the problem was so widespread. Lesson learned. The cleanup was lots of spray and lots of paper towels, even a little scraping, but I got it done. The smell of the Goo Gone wasn't as bad as I thought it might be; windows open. Now I am back to finishing hull details, oars, and seat.

Still not quite done, but this is what it looks like after the Cetol has been removed from the interior. For the time being, I will leave it like this.

DSC04215.jpg