Thread: Applying oil to small parts

Default Applying oil to small parts

So a while back I read a post by Todd Bradshaw about how he used a gadget called a Pump n Seal to evacuate the air from paint storage cans. I went ahead and got one and it works very well. I’ve found that the seal around the rim of a typical paint can allows the vacuum to leak down no matter what, but that ordinary mason jars are cheap and work perfectly. Today I discovered a new use for this thing that I thought others would find useful.

I had made several various wooden cleats and submerged them for several days in Deks Olje 1, figuring this should allow the maximum amount of the stuff to get in. Well today it occurred to me that I could assist the process by pulling a vacuum on the jar they were soaking in. I was shocked when I saw how much air came bubbling up out of the cleats, and this was after days of immersion. I mean it was like a freshly poured beer! It also made me realize just how little of this stuff actually gets into the wood under normal application. I have no way of knowing if it will actually improve the protection or not, but I thought others might be interested.

Steve Zicree

Default Re: Applying oil to small parts

Cool idea! Thanks!

I was going to suggest this... but you're talking about different oil.

This little gizmo lets you very precisely apply single drops of oil to whatever might need oiling. I've got mine loaded with Triflow right now. Perfect for oiling the sewing machine. And my pocket knives.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...sion-oiler-pen

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Here's that technique taken to the next level.

There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Years ago, I built a hollow samson post/vent of oak planks. I stood them in a bucket of linseed oil for a few weeks. It slowly absorbed right to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    Here's that technique taken to the next level.

I’ve been using this method and a similar set-up (with a penetrating epoxy product called “Cactus Juice”) for stabilising knife handles but I hadn’t thought of using the same set up for enhancing the penetration of oils into timber - so thanks for the heads up Steve, a really useful and valuable idea.

This is the pump and chamber that I use, cheap but effective:
    Last edited by Larks; 08-13-2021 at 06:22 PM.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I made a similar thing from a pressure cooker and swapping the inlet outet over on a my small 25 litre workshop compressor. I use it for casting in silicone and acrylic....

Most oil finishes need air in order to dry properly. So I wonder if forcing them to absorb deep into wood will retard the overall drying?

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Most oil finishes need air in order to dry properly. So I wonder if forcing them to absorb deep into wood will retard the overall drying?

Jeff
    That's true in that oil doesn't 'dry', but oxidises. but in this situation the surface still has a chance to oxidise, and the interior saturated wood won't be vastly different from the natural resins saps and oils that were originally there.. maybe its a bit of a 'what's the point' though. If the wood is so dessicated that its air-logged, then the op has a point. but then there wil be a problem , maybe , of the impregnated wood sweating oil in a hot or super sunny day .

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Z View Post
    <SNIP> I was shocked when I saw how much air came bubbling up out of the cleats, and this was after days of immersion. I mean it was like a freshly poured beer!
    <SNIP>

Steve Zicree
    Was the wood part gassing or was the oil?

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    Was the wood part gassing or was the oil?
    It’d be the wood - when I stabilise wood with Cactus Juice (penetrating epoxy) it gases off heavily for a short while but will continue to gas off for quite a few hours, depending on the wood. I run the pump to get the chamber down to pressure and then switch it off but leave the chamber sealed for about 24 hours - running the pump for a few minutes every now and then to check the pressure and see what level of gas might still come out. Even after leaving it over night most timbers still gas off somewhat the next day.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I’d wonder how much weight the wood gains. Have you weighed it after it’s cured and any solvents have evaporated?