Thread: Interesting Solar/Electric boat/voyage

Default Interesting Solar/Electric boat/voyage

From last year --

A Father and Son Complete a Solar-Electric Cruise to Alaska

https://www.soundingsonline.com/news..._xEeZjbETVP6EU
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Interesting Solar/Electric boat/voyage

A couple links in, but here's their blog from the trip: https://solarsaljourney.squarespace.com/

Lots of details to dig into.

I have been watching this unfold, it makes a lot of sense. Solar cruising is like sailing, you make progress when you can but keep the schedule loose to allow for days when conditions are not right. I have solar electric on my Walkabout now, which does 30 to 40 miles per day in summer sun. My retirement musing is a bigger solar powered displacement cruiser for two, not as big as Wayward Sun but the same type power.

-Rick

Solar Sal is for sale, BTW, for any forum member with a lot of loose change in their pocket: https://e20af67d-64c8-4a23-9650-f7bf...d859bb6c5e.pdf

I would love to add solar-electric auxiliary power to Skookum Maru. Not quite yet but Solar Sal shows that the technology is getting closer to making that possible so it’s only a matter of time.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

That boat was tied up across from Amazon when they stopped in Juneau. I didn’t realize they ran up all the way from Seattle on solar power, that’s pretty cool. It’s a neat boat, it’s pretty small though, I think we would need the 45 foot version.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Rick,
    Where can I find more information on your solar implementation on Walkabout? That is one design I keep coming back to...

I currently am floating dreams of a shanty boat and a solar Escargot seems like it ticks off a lot of boxes for me. I think the late designer, Phil Thiel, would approve. I thought it would be difficult but it seems a 3.5 HP equivalent electric outboard(s) is not much more expensive than a gasser...

John

$260k

Quote Originally Posted by jshaley View Post
    Rick,
    Where can I find more information on your solar implementation on Walkabout? That is one design I keep coming back to...

I currently am floating dreams of a shanty boat and a solar Escargot seems like it ticks off a lot of boxes for me. I think the late designer, Phil Thiel, would approve. I thought it would be difficult but it seems a 3.5 HP equivalent electric outboard(s) is not much more expensive than a gasser...

John
    John - Electric motors seem to be around 1.5 to 2 times the equivalent gas motor, but you have to budget battery and solar also. Depending on usage you need enough battery to power for a day, or enough solar to put out about the same power the motor uses, or somewhere in between. I like Escargot, but for solar a shanty catamaran with long narrow displacement hulls should be better use of the limited power.

The Walkabout solar thread is here: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...amping-rowboat

-Rick

Quote Originally Posted by jshaley View Post
    Rick,

John
    Given that Escargot was intended for pedal drive it could be interesting/amusing to just add a crank motor ebike kit to it and create a human/electric hybrid?

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
    Given that Escargot was intended for pedal drive it could be interesting/amusing to just add a crank motor ebike kit to it and create a human/electric hybrid?
    Ha! Now that is a good idea. Maybe $1000 for a 750 W ebike mid-rive motor and battery bought new. I am a bit nervous using ebike batteries as they are not as safe as LiFePO4, but they have higher energy density and are cheaper.