Thread: Bedding Compound - Teak to Fiberglass

Me:Keokuk, IA--Boat: Mississippi River 535

Default Bedding Compound - Teak to Fiberglass

Hello All,
    I have a 1967 Chris Craft 42 Commander that I am replacing the teak toe rail on. I'm looking for recommendations for bedding compound. I believe that the original boards were put down with Dolfinite, but that was 54 years ago... I still hear and read that Dolfinite is great stuff, but I wonder if there is something else that might be recommended, and the best way to apply and clean up. Thanks in advance for your help... I'm new to this, but not afraid of learning - I've refinished all of the wood on the inside... I just want to do this the right way as I won't be doing it again.
    I know... it's fiberglass... but it's all wood on the inside!
    www.commanderclub.com

Default Re: Bedding Compound - Teak to Fiberglass

"I believe that the original boards were put down with Dolfinite, but that was 54 years ago..."............... Hmmm, ...... and how much are you looking to improve that by?
    "
    I just want to do this the right way as I won't be doing it again." So you are planning on owning her for another 54 years? ... I wish I could say that.

+ 1

About to install hand rails on fiberglass, and am planning to use traditional bedding compound, as I may have to remove them sometime in the future.

I've restored old beat up fiberglass boats where the bedding compound between wooden bits and the fiberglass was about the only thing on the entire boat that was still in pretty good condition. I can't say that I'm terribly impressed with the various goo-in-a-tube marine sealers over time compared to real, non-adhesive bedding compound.

Me:Keokuk, IA--Boat: Mississippi River 535

Thanks all for the feedback so far. I take the point about the Dolfinite lasting for 54 years... I suppose staying with the same thing is probably a good idea then.
    That being said, I'd assume would still use a caulk (perhaps Teak Decking Systems caulk) for the joints, and for were the outside trim boards meets up with the main toe rail... any thoughts on that?

Another related question... if I use Dolfinite under the boards, is it necessary to caulk along the edges where the teak meets the fiberglass? Sorry for the probably easy question, but best to ask than do it wrong. Thanks again for your input, I really appreciate it!
    I know... it's fiberglass... but it's all wood on the inside!
    www.commanderclub.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kpyto View Post

Another related question... if I use Dolfinite under the boards, is it necessary to caulk along the edges where the teak meets the fiberglass? Sorry for the probably easy question, but best to ask than do it wrong. Thanks again for your input, I really appreciate it!
    Nope. Just work neatly and leave the excess that squeezes out to cure for a few weeks. It will be firmer, but not hard. Then just scrape that off with a putty knife and do a final wipe-off cleaning with mineral spirits or acetone on a rag. You can wipe it off when it's still gooey with solvent on a rag, too, but it tends to spread it all over and is messier than cleaning off the stiffer stuff with a putty knife.

Install the teak with just a couple screws. Mask around the contact areas. Wait 24 hours and peel up the tape. Most of the stuff will come up on the tape.