Thread: A boat in a box

Default A boat in a box

This past week, I fulfilled a long-time ambition by sailing a homebuilt boat around the harbor of Juneau, Alaska, my home town.

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 1.25.15 PM.jpg

Due to the pandemic, my job (in California) has me working remotely. So my partner and I decided to come up here to stay with my dad, see old friends, and beat the summer heat. Growing up, sailing seemed like something for rich folks with big keelboats. We had it drilled into our heads as kids that our water is so cold you'll die of hypothermia in 15 minutes. Nobody that I knew of was sailing dinghies. I took up sailing at the University of Wisconsin, and have never moved back to Juneau since. But I've always regretted that I didn't learn the joy and grace of small-boat sailing when I lived in this perfect setting - where there are thousands of islands around, covered with driftwood for beach fires, the water is loaded with salmon, and where pretty much all the land is public so you can land and camp anywhere that seems cool.

We made travel plans in April, and I immediately began building an OzGoose. My idea was to cut out all the plywood, attach the framing cleats, and coat all the panels in epoxy. I also planned to pre-build the daggerboard, rudder, and tiller, and sew the sail. Then I'd flat-pack the lot, ship it up here, and assemble it into a boat. Mike Storer (the OzGoose designer) did something similar in the Philippines last year, and the air cargo quote was a reasonable $120. That was the plan, and that's more or less what I did, but it cost a lot more than I thought and took a lot longer to assemble than I'd hoped.
    IMG_0905 2.jpg
    IMG_0956 2.jpg
    IMG_0962 2.jpg

Anyway, it took more than two months to finish after we got up here (there was competition for my time), but last week I launched. Then we were hit with some unseasonably excellent weather for late July, and I spent last Sunday sailing around downtown Juneau, seeing the city from a completely new perspective, getting to know my new boat, and in general just grinning ear to ear. I am so pleased with myself!

IMG_1188.jpg

Default Re: A boat in a box

Very cool! I have some folding boats for travel.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

beat the summer heat ?
    I'm getting a headache in my feet just LOOKING at you barefoot in that water !!!

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    beat the summer heat ?
    I'm getting a headache in my feet just LOOKING at you barefoot in that water !!!
    Maybe my problem is that I've spent too much time in cold water, and killed all the brain cells in my feet ��.

It was 80’ degrees here Sunday. That water probably felt great. I know it did at TwinLakes.

Congratulations on getting your new boat out on the water.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

A prediction-you won't find yourself able to stop building boats now you have experienced how much fun the whole process can be.First you need to get through the summer of just having fun in your home waters and that seems to be off to a good start.In a year or two there may be a gnawing feeling that a new project is called for with different objectives or more distant horizons for longer expeditions.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    A prediction-you won't find yourself able to stop building boats now you have experienced how much fun the whole process can be.First you need to get through the summer of just having fun in your home waters and that seems to be off to a good start.In a year or two there may be a gnawing feeling that a new project is called for with different objectives or more distant horizons for longer expeditions.
    You're more right than you could know...

I've got a few boats behind me by now. Mostly Michael Storer designs, as he seems to optimize for light weight and fast sailing. I've got a Goat Island Skiff, a Viola canoe, and a skin-on-frame kayak at home, as well as a couple of Storer Quick Canoes and a strip kayak that I've let go. And a WoodenWidget Origami as the tender to a keelboat that's on the other side of the world but still technically mine. And yes, I am already deep into planning the next few builds...

There is no known cure!

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    This past week, I fulfilled a long-time ambition by sailing a homebuilt boat around the harbor of Juneau, Alaska, my home town.

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 1.25.15 PM.jpg

Due to the pandemic, my job (in California) has me working remotely. So my partner and I decided to come up here to stay with my dad, see old friends, and beat the summer heat. Growing up, sailing seemed like something for rich folks with big keelboats. We had it drilled into our heads as kids that our water is so cold you'll die of hypothermia in 15 minutes. Nobody that I knew of was sailing dinghies. I took up sailing at the University of Wisconsin, and have never moved back to Juneau since. But I've always regretted that I didn't learn the joy and grace of small-boat sailing when I lived in this perfect setting - where there are thousands of islands around, covered with driftwood for beach fires, the water is loaded with salmon, and where pretty much all the land is public so you can land and camp anywhere that seems cool. click test

We made travel plans in April, and I immediately began building an OzGoose. My idea was to cut out all the plywood, attach the framing cleats, and coat all the panels in epoxy. I also planned to pre-build the daggerboard, rudder, and tiller, and sew the sail. Then I'd flat-pack the lot, ship it up here, and assemble it into a boat. Mike Storer (the OzGoose designer) did something similar in the Philippines last year, and the air cargo quote was a reasonable $120. That was the plan, and that's more or less what I did, but it cost a lot more than I thought and took a lot longer to assemble than I'd hoped.
    IMG_0905 2.jpg
    IMG_0956 2.jpg
    IMG_0962 2.jpg

Anyway, it took more than two months to finish after we got up here (there was competition for my time), but last week I launched. Then we were hit with some unseasonably excellent weather for late July, and I spent last Sunday sailing around downtown Juneau, seeing the city from a completely new perspective, getting to know my new boat, and in general just grinning ear to ear. I am so pleased with myself!

IMG_1188.jpg
    Man This Looks Awesome!
    Last edited by chanog; 08-10-2021 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chanog View Post
    Man This Looks Awesome!
    Thank you! Here are a few more photos from our uncharacteristic spell of late summer nice weather. The storms of autumn have already begun, but at least there is a breeze today...
    PXL_20210801_214515495.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210801_213617244.jpg
    PXL_20210801_214655839.jpg

Luckily, I can borrow my dad's cargo van.
    IMG_1149.jpg

Looks great, similar to a Puddleduck.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post

Looks great, similar to a Puddleduck.
    Yep, it's a PDR, stretched to 12 feet and with some of the details improved.

Here's a photo from a friend who spotted me off that bridge from post #10. These are more typical late summer conditions here.
    IMG_2190.jpg

Breathtaking views