Thread: Blast from the past - sort of.

Default Blast from the past - sort of.

So t'other day I was listening to CBC One's national morning show ('Q' with Tom Power) and he interviewed Alice Cooper. Alice has a new album out - Detroit Stories. Ho-hum so far. I was a fan of Alice when I was fifteen, but grew out of it by about the time the 'Billion Dollar Babies' album came out. Then he mentioned the concept of this new album: Detroit Stories is written about Alice Cooper’s origins in music, and the history of hard rock in Detroit, Michigan. As stated by Cooper, he attempted to incorporate something that “tasted like Detroit” into every aspect of the album. Released in a time when hard rock no longer topped the popular music charts, Cooper wrote an album attempting return to the roots of rock and roll and make a “real rock and roll album”. (wikipedia) I was mildly intrigued. Then he mentioned several songs on the album were covers of songs by other folks (not usual for Alice) such as Lou Reed, MC5, and Bob Seger. Now I was paying attention. He went on to mention that many of the tracks featured 'guest musicians' such as members of the original Alice Cooper band Dennis Dunaway and Neil Smith, Joe Bonnamassa, Wayne Kramer (MC5), Mark Farner (Grand Funk Railroad), Steve Hunter, Camilla and Debra Sledge (Sister Sledge), and Larry Mullin Jr. (U2). Now I'm sitting up and paying attention. On one song, Despite all the Amputations, Cooper takes an opportunity to lend credit to a plethora of famous Detroit rockers who inspired him and came from the same hard rock scene, such as Iggy Pop, Ted Nugent and Suzi Quattro.

I mentioned all this to my good wife, whom is far from a hard rock fan (much less an Alice Cooper fan), and she was nice enough to pick up a copy of the album when she was away in the city last week. IMHO, it lives up to what it is advertised as: no nonsense hard rock with definite roots in mid-seventies rock idiom. Not for everybody, but I bet Pless will like it...

(I'd like to post the song Drunk And In Love, but can't find it on the InterWeb, so Social Debris will have to do

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Default Re: Blast from the past - sort of.

Yay-hoo! I found it!

I was 'into' A. Cooper as a 16year old. Punk hadn't happened yet, and Cooper blended a whole lot of old rock, new rock, punk but not the rythms or the blues, he was sufficiently iconoclastic but potentially an icon in his way. we had a pretty (and I mean that both ways), cool teacher who played 'schools out' at the morning assembly. I think she didn't come back the next term.
    Dead babies comes to mind.
    then went to the EmpirePool Wembley, Alce Cooper supported by Roxy Music . Before Brian Ferry was Brian Ferry, before Bowie was Ziggy.
    Lupo are you reading this ,?
    Roxy were offensive loud, ear damaging loud , ****e as I thought then, we couldn't wait for AC to come on. But Cooper was totally amazing ( hey I'm fifteen , the most radical thing before this was My Generation .. of course lt's all staged, , hangs himself, I think.
    Good to see he's back. though I cringe at my adolescent naivite of those days.

still don't like Roxy Music much, but I'll cut some slack for Brian Ferry.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

this song banging around in my head for 50 years....
    any newer Alice Coper...nupe.

Hard to get worked up about a radically counter-culture dude who is a devout Christian and used to play golf with Glen Campbell.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

Yeah, I had a difficult time with the Glen Campbell golfing bit.

Good to see Joe Bonnamassa get a spot. I saw Alice Cooper at the Sydney Showground on March 26th 1977- the Welcome to my Nightmare tour. The support act was Australian Band Hush. I thought Hush were great but the crowd booed coz they just wanted Alice. The Hush lead singer Keith Lamb did one of his trademark high kicks and fell flat on his back- I felt really sorry for him. My girlfriend and I were so far from the stage that the performers looked like ants- but the music was too loud to be able to talk to each other. Now I feel old again- Alice must be really old JayInOz

Not for everybody, but I bet Pless will like it...
    i do

i believe i heard the same interview as you when the album was released, i found it fascinating too

the real question though is, 'what does chad smith think?'
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.