Thread: The world is on fire

Default The world is on fire

again.

Major fires in the US, Canada, Spain, Italy, Greece, and Turkey. Here in central Brasil fire season just got going for real, with a plunge in humidity and the start of the dry NE wind. We had our first emergency a couple of days ago - a pasture fire on a neighboring property which would have burned down one of our reserves. Fortunately we responded early and were able to keep it from jumping our firebreaks, but it took us 3 days to put it out.

Can't people see with their own eyes what we are doing to the planet?!? Everyone talks about getting world leaders to space for the "overview effect". I wish I could have had them with us firefighting until midnight, hauling water and gear madly up and down the firebreaks, breathing ash and smoke like there's no lung cancer, the smoldering nighttime landscape looking like a mixture of Verdun and hell under the orange glow of the flames reflected on the smoke... then wake them up early the next day for a vote on a carbon tax, before hauling their exhausted asses back to the fire, to spend the day under the hot sun hosing down embers and spot fires.

Default Re: The world is on fire

I have heard the coming time of climate change, the Anthopocene, described as the Age of Fire. Here in Aus every year is hotter and drier, we will burn again this summer coming.
    But good luck in getting governments to change, they are in the pockets of vested interests, and the populace, well they are having quite enough trouble kreeping the mortgage paid and food on the table. What will happen will happen and the species will survive, or not.
    Even if we changed overnight, there's a 200 year lag at least.

The American West is quickly becoming unlivable, I fear. I suspect very few people are aware of the extent of the problem.

Last year, NPR had an interview with a National Forest Service fire chief. He said that, basically, these new fires are so big, and so hot, that the mathematical/computer models they use to predict fire behavior can't cope with them--can't make any reliable predictions anymore.

It's not just a difference in size and frequency of fires. These new climate-induced fires are an entirely new beast. We many not have time to figure them out before they burn everything around us.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Just the combustible parts.

Raining here. I hope you get a reprieve George.

No rain for us till October or November. September is usually the worst month. Last year we had to firefight for something like 38 continuous 12 hour days.

sounds like California

And at the same time the news is full of catastrophic flooding incidents all over the world: Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Germany, UK, Switzerland, China, India, Chad, Pakistan, Myanmar, Costa Rica, Philippines, Mexico.

The heatwaves, the droughts, the increased severity of windstorms, and the increase in flooding are all aspects of the same thing: increased energy in the atmosphere as a result of the increase in temperature.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    The American West is quickly becoming unlivable, I fear. I suspect very few people are aware of the extent of the problem.

Last year, NPR had an interview with a National Forest Service fire chief. He said that, basically, these new fires are so big, and so hot, that the mathematical/computer models they use to predict fire behavior can't cope with them--can't make any reliable predictions anymore.

It's not just a difference in size and frequency of fires. These new climate-induced fires are an entirely new beast. We many not have time to figure them out before they burn everything around us.

Tom
    Cumulonimbus flammagenitus. That's a term people might want to become familiar with.

Cumulonimbus flammagenitus
    aaa - 1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    again.

Major fires in the US, Canada, Spain, Italy, Greece, and Turkey. ... .
    A few weeks ago, fires in Siberia also were in the news if I remember correctly.

Can't people see with their own eyes what we are doing to the planet?!? Everyone talks about getting world leaders to space for the "overview effect".
    Meh, those 'leaders' know _exactly_ what's happening.. and cheer it on. Take off your rose colored 'everyone cares' glasses, step back a bit, and realize that misery & destruction are The Plan - profit comes from those.. and nothing other than 'the game' or 'the players' is important - to the game & the players. 'Till that changes - and short of man's disappearance from the scene, that's unlikely - nothing else will.

I chose wisely years ago.. tho 'redneck city', it's hot & humid on the Cumberland Plateau and crops still grow w/ the floods down below. Just put up salsa - corn, beans & fruit done too.

The coming years tho? Who knows.. the game & the players are insatiable.