Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Nancy Pelosi correct? Is Kevin McCarthy really a moron?

Default Is Nancy Pelosi correct? Is Kevin McCarthy really a moron?

Kevin McCarthy is the Minority Leader in the U.S. House of Representatives. Which means he is the top Trumpkin.

This is opinion by Dana Milbank for the Washington Post:

Fact check: Is Kevin McCarthy a ‘moron’?

After Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy this week decried the House’s new face mask requirement, Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) replied with a considered response: “He’s such a moron.”

Mean! But if the dunce cap fits …

Such an incendiary charge by Pelosi demands a fact check: Is McCarthy, in fact, a moron? Let’s weigh the evidence.

The very day Pelosi called him a moron, McCarthy complained on the House floor that the latest mask guidance came from a study in India (not so) of an unapproved vaccine (also not so) that “didn’t even pass purr review.” Was he waiting for a litter of kittens to examine the data?

The day before Pelosi called him a moron, McCarthy held a news conference to provide his latest thinking on the Jan. 6 investigation, including:

“We now have a committee that all of America wants to know the answers to.”

“How can you ever get to the bottom of the questions?”

“Never before in the history of Congress has a speaker taken the unprecedented move of denying the other party to a committee of who they selected.”

McCarthy further concluded that the April slaying of a Capitol Police officer was politically motivated — “based upon if you listen to who made the killing of buying the knife and go out.”

The day after Pelosi called him a moron, McCarthy made yet more important points at another news conference.

On President Biden: “The president, we sat to met with, that we wanted to be — keep our path be energy independent.”

On a retired colleague: “Former liberal senator Barbara Boxer is now has the effect of being robbed in Oakland.”

On Pelosi: “She will go at no elms to break the rules.”

On Pelosi, cont’d: “We watched time and again where she told the American public they couldn’t get a haircut — except for her. We told her that she fights for the Americans, but they make $5 million in less than a month trading stock options … on tech companies that were — that were debating inside the House; that the only reason the market went up, that they made that money was what the outcome of the stocks — or, the outcome of the bills.”

Fact-check analysis: Wuh?

But one week does not a moron make. Let’s examine history.

McCarthy famously lost a chance to be speaker in 2015 when he admitted that Republicans created the Benghazi select committee to hurt Hillary Clinton (by making her seem “untrustable”).

In 2016, McCarthy told fellow Republicans he believed Donald Trump was on Vladimir Putin’s payroll — “swear to God.” Aghast, then-House Speaker Paul Ryan silenced McCarthy.

In 2018, McCarthy tweeted, then deleted, a warning that three men of Jewish descent, George Soros, Tom Steyer and Mike Bloomberg, wanted “to BUY this election!”

On “60 Minutes” in 2019, McCarthy was asked about then-President Donald Trump’s infamous request of the Ukrainian president: “I’d like you to do us a favor, though.” McCarthy, unaware this was a verbatim quote from the White House transcript, accused CBS of doctoring it.

Recently, McCarthy trumpeted on Fox News an apocryphal report that Biden “is going to control how much meat you can eat.” McCarthy also claimed not to know about QAnon (which he called “Q-on”): “I don’t know if I say it right. I don’t even know what it is.” He had spoken several times previously about QAnon, by name.

Long before McCarthy became Trump’s “my Kevin,” he had a rocky relationship with the English language.

In 2014, I chronicled McCarthy’s musings on blind justice (“You see the Supreme Court, you see the statue sitting there, blinded in the process with the weights in between”), on Obamacare enrollment (“He only totes the 8 million … How can we fall going forward?”) and on charter schools (“This is a great strength of a change making an equalizer inside for economy throughout”). In a 2015 foreign policy address, he announced that he had visited “Hungria” and lamented that Russia is “keeping the place of the band on America.”

Marching band? Boy band? This fact check could not determine.

MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow then described McCarthy’s speech pattern as a “word typhoon.” (Fact check: It’s technically a word tornado, in which words scatter randomly and sometimes disappear entirely.) He sounds part Yoda, part Google Translate.

But does this make McCarthy a “moron”? There might be another explanation. I asked McCarthy’s communications director, Matt Sparks, if the leader has a speech disability (in which case I wouldn’t ridicule him). But Sparks made no such claim, instead calling my ongoing interest in McCarthy’s words “a bit sad and very odd.”

Alas, this leaves only one possible conclusion, which I deliver with no elms: Pelosi’s claim earns the rating “mostly true.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ccarthy-moron/
    " I am one of those white, common sense conservatives. I believe in science and I have not taken the shot.”
    -- Sarah Palin, 9/16/21

Default Re: Is Nancy Pelosi correct? Is Kevin McCarthy really a moron?

He certainly seems a lot less savvy than Nancy.

One of two things seems likely with all this worshipping of Trump: Our democracy by be destroyed like everything Trump touches, or Republicans may take an extreme shellacking next election.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    He certainly seems a lot less savvy than Nancy.

One of two things seems likely with all this worshipping of Trump: Our democracy by be destroyed like everything Trump touches, or Republicans may take an extreme shellacking next election.
    Less savvy? Agreed.

But nihilism and evil have their own energy and impetus. Being unencumbered by concerns for ethics, logic, consistency, and good governance... they are more free.

An example that gives some sense of the dynamic: have you ever tried to solo babysit a pair of toddler grandchildren in a space that's not set up for toddlers? Breakable things. Things with lots of pieces to scatter. Toys. Valuables. How much luck did you have staying ahead of the chaos?

And evil, running downhill as it always is, has gravity on its side.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Less savvy? Agreed.

But nihilism and evil have their own energy and impetus. Being unencumbered by concerns for ethics, logic, consistency, and good governance... they are more free.

An example that gives some sense of the dynamic: have you ever tried to solo babysit a pair of toddler grandchildren in a space that's not set up for toddlers? Breakable things. Things with lots of pieces to scatter. Toys. Valuables. How much luck did you have staying ahead of the chaos?

And evil, running downhill as it always is, has gravity on its side.
    But the toddlers are simply agents of entropy working with gravity. While McCarthy is no toddler he sure seems like a toy spun by an evil toddler like Trump.

Tom yes and hail yes. And I could name alot more morons, here's Ohio's version of Josh Hawley maybe you've heard of him Josh Mendel. My representative is Tim Ryan and he's running for Portmans Senate seat. Ohio needs Tim Ryan and Sherrod Brown in the senate. A little on josh.https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.met...-pronouns/amp/

My days of voting for any Republican running for public office at ANY level of government are over. The problem with voting for "reasonable' Republicans in the 21st century is that once elected they simply enable the GQP nutters. I intend to vote for Tim Ryan. The rotting carcass of what was once the GOP stinks to high heaven.
    " I am one of those white, common sense conservatives. I believe in science and I have not taken the shot.”
    -- Sarah Palin, 9/16/21

Rhetorical question?
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

The word 'moron' is no longer used in psychology. People like Kevin McC are now referred to as f---wits.

"Maroon" is the more formal term allowed by management

i think mccarthy is just brilliantly playing down to his audience
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Time will tell, ultimately.

It may well be by the time people actually vote in '22, only 25% will vote for Republicans. That will make him look like a moron. If, however, Republicans win substantial seats, then he will have played into his best self interest.

Lots of 'things' in motion.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Forrest Gump had it right, stupid is as stupid does.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Time will tell, ultimately.

It may well be by the time people actually vote in '22, only 25% will vote for Republicans. That will make him look like a moron. If, however, Republicans win substantial seats, then he will have played into his best self interest.

Lots of 'things' in motion.
    If history is a guide, Republicans will do well in '22, regardless of what McCarthy does.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    My days of voting for any Republican running for public office at ANY level of government are over. The problem with voting for "reasonable' Republicans in the 21st century is that once elected they simply enable the GQP nutters. I intend to vote for Tim Ryan. The rotting carcass of what was once the GOP stinks to high heaven.
    The problem there is as here, as politicians the 'represent' their party and their partisan electors and their financiers. Not the whole of the electorate or the whole of the country, much less long term national interest.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    If history is a guide, Republicans will do well in '22, regardless of what McCarthy does.
    It's the conventional wisdom that the incumbent party loses seats in the midterms. But I think we're so far into uncharted territory that there's very little precedent to count on to enable accurate predictions. It will be interesting.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

To the thread title ;
    No , and No.

^
    That's it? No explanation? How convenient. Avoiding all possiblity of push-back.
    -- Sarah Palin, 9/16/21

No need to actually think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    ^
    That's it? No explanation? How convenient. Avoiding all possiblity of push-back.
    Yup that’s it, if I added anything I’d open myself to being banned, again , and forever. Because you liberals are so thin skinned any statement that doesn’t conform to your ideology is a reason to push the button!

And although The Scot is suppose to be a “conservative “ he , IMO, seems to ban people with conservative views while he allows liberal racist, attract threads or posts to go untouched by moderators “hands”.

So ya I’m just going to say No and no. Or you’ll push the button, and tell me it’s just free speech and it’s a private company so they can ban anyone they want!

Perfect if you're a liberal !

Paul, why exactly do you fancy why you've written so far on this thread do you fancy you could be banned?

One hopes that Paul, like most here, knows that "moron" was an appellation that fell out of clinical favor decades ago and that now survives as a sort of explicative among those of us of a certain generation to grow impatient with total jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Paul, why exactly do you fancy why you've written so far on this thread do you fancy you could be banned?
    History ! Period !

One hopes that Paul, like most here, knows that "moron" was an appellation that fell out of clinical favor decades ago and that now survives as a sort of explicative among those of us of a certain generation to grow impatient with total jerks.
    Ok , so IF that’s true and I used that word, you’d expect me to not be banned?
    If so I’d say your a “use that word” .

Ya it is that simple and that hard to maintain the “ un- balance” “The Scot” uses.

Hmm... well, if Nancy Pelosi was a Forumite and characterized Kevin McCarthy as a moron in a Bilge post then I suppose Scot would ban her.

Speaking as a proud liberal who has been banned several times in the past, I am unmoved by your outraged victimhood. Every time I was banned by Scot I came to understand that it was justified. But then, I was raised to have a sense of responsibility. Which is one reason why I do not qualify to be a 21st century Republican.
    -- Sarah Palin, 9/16/21

Were Pelosi on our Forum she might mutter to herself that another Forum member is a moron, dismissing as not even worth a response, but she'd not post, "McCarthy, you are such a moron."

Dana Milbank's brilliant "Fact Check" raises the stakes by pretending Pelosi's remark was serious and factually testable. By doing that at some length Milbank has raised the insult level in a way that should not lead to banning here. The reason I'd not ban Milbank is that her piece was "mostly reporting" and not personal insult.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    And although The Scot is suppose to be a “conservative “ he , IMO, seems to ban people with conservative views while he allows liberal racist, attract threads or posts to go untouched by moderators “hands”.
    self loathing can be a real muther******

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    "if" is the most efficient word in our language; more meaning from fewer letters.

I agree with the two Pauls. He is not a moron and he is appealing to the reactionary tribe who feel surrounded by knee jerk smarty pants liberal know it alls.

Poor Kevin, Donald didn’t care about the rioters ready to string up him and his fellow representatives. He sure tried to nail Hillary in the Benghazi hearings. No, not a moron, just a politician trying to hold onto a moron horde.

Yup that’s it, if I added anything I’d open myself to being banned, again , and forever. Because you liberals are so thin skinned any statement that doesn’t conform to your ideology is a reason to push the button!

So ya I’m just going to say No and no. Or you’ll push the button, and tell me it’s just free speech and it’s a private company so they can ban anyone they want!

You are a funny guy.

The delicate little snowflakes on this board have always been Right Wing Whackos.

I think it's because their psychotic version of reality is so fragile that the mere suggestion that they're 'not quite right' sends them into Full Goose Bozo Freakout mode.

Wouldn't you agree?
    Rattling the teacups.

Paul, do you have a "liberal racist, attract thread" link? Alternatively, can you explain what liberal racism is and how it comes up on this Forum?

I'm not at all sure what's going to happen by the time the '22 election comes around.

McCarthy did nix a non partisan commission where Republicans and Democrats would have had equal number of members. We are following the Jan 6 invasion of our Capital. McCarthy is likely to be called as a witness by the Select committee.

Will he testify voluntarily. Will he fight a subpoena? How will that impact his re-election?

We don't know what if any, legal problems Trump may have by the time people are voting, and we don't know now what, if any, federal voting laws may pass, or not.

History has never had a Jan 6 happen, and we have no idea how that, and the investigations, will impact the '22 elections.

There are words that might be justification for banning or 'jail time' if one originates those words. If one is quoting someone who said any of those words, I tend to think it's a mistake to 'clean up a quote' rather than accurately present the quote.

McCarthy’s district

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...ional_district

The current district includes parts of the southern San Joaquin Valley, the Tehachapi Mountains and southern Sierra Nevada, and the northwestern Mojave Desert. It comprises most of Kern County and portions of Los Angeles and Tulare counties. Cities in the district include Porterville, Ridgecrest, most of Bakersfield, and part of Lancaster.[3] With a Cook Partisan Voting Index rating of R+12, it is the most Republican district in California and the second-most Republican district in the West Coast, behind only Washington's 4th district.[2]

Paul, do you have a "liberal racist, attract thread" link? Alternatively, can you explain what liberal racism is and how it comes up on this Forum?
    I think Paul is subconsciously channelling McCarthy.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

is Washington’s 4th district where paul girouard votes?