Thread: Uneven parallel bars

Default Uneven parallel bars

Fascinating interview with Dominique Moceanu who won USA gold in 96. She said that a parallel bar routine is practiced so much and with such concentration that it is all muscle memory. The athlete reaches a peak right before a performance, and zones-out. If there’s a hint of worry, you’ve lost before you start.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Default Re: Uneven parallel bars

Total focus....
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Suni Lee Stuns On Uneven Bars

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    Suni Lee Stuns On Uneven Bars

https://youtu.be/yO-GndywTaI
    Sadly video unavailable in this country (Scotland)

Is this the same?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VnzNHWoQyE
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Yep. If you think, you pay.

Same apples to doing backflips in the air on a bike, you know?

Makes perfect sense to me.

"Thinking", my best singing teacher said, "happens in the practice room. Once you're onstage, you just pull down your pants and slide on the ice."
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Sadly video unavailable in this country (Scotland)

Is this the same?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VnzNHWoQyE
    Same routine from different angle.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Makes perfect sense to me.

"Thinking", my best singing teacher said, "happens in the practice room. Once you're onstage, you just pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

People are often confused when I yell at my athletes to, “Turn off that stupid brain! Stop thinking, and trust your work! Trust your SELF!”

The other thing that I find vital is a smile just before performing. Just take a deep breath, smile (even a small one, they all do the same thing), and reflect on all the work that made this moment possible.

Then, you have to blank.

Youngest Son and I have been discussing this lately on the bikes. He watched me relearn bar spins. Saw it change from a thing I struggled with, to something that has become so natural and comfortable, they’ve become double bars. I don’t even think about it, anymore. My hands and feet just “do” it.

He’s learned that the hesitation before the jump is why you crash; it ain’t the jump.

And, he’s learned that after about 10-15,000 reps, a movement or action becomes burned into the fascia, and your body just DOES.

For example, I struggle to move my left foot with my brain, but when I walk and run, it just does stuff. There are serious issues with the communication to “headquarters”, but the fascia just keeps on doing its thing.

We are super complex animals, really. Makes my head hurt.

Same thing must be going on with musicianship. Watch people like Tommy Emmanuel or Glen Campbell, running the necks of their guitars half the time with eyes closed.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Yeah. They don't know where their fingers are, or how (let alone why) they adjust volume, pitch, tempo, line, amount of legato, etc. And if they stop to think about it, the music is gone. The ghost is only ever there when it's in your peripheral vision.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Same thing must be going on with musicianship. Watch people like Tommy Emmanuel or Glen Campbell, running the necks of their guitars half the time with eyes closed.

I paid dues in a concert hall, and it is un-NERVING to have a full-blown conversation with a world class guitar player WHILE THEY ARE REHEARSING ON STAGE.

Dude is “weedle-twiddle-dweedly-do-da-doing” away, and asking for this or that change in lighting, or the monitors... talking about a small dog he saw on the way to the concert...

And, I have never been able to achieve one Nth the fluidity and grace in my playing, while this man mindlessly noodles out virtuosity.

That ease and grace only comes with mastery of self. It’s why people enjoy watching or hearing virtuosos. Amazing what we can do and be.