Thread: Now it's getting personal.

Default Now it's getting personal.

Many of you know that Alberta is to Canada as Texas is to the US. Not only the oil industry, plains landscape and ranching ... but the socially conservative political climate. I once worked for the Alberta Provincial government, and left largely because they promoted talking points cribbed from Republicans, that climate change was "junk science." Not the only time that Republican lines were appropriated by Canadian right wingers, or that Alberta strove to be the most ideological of them.

Through COVID, mostly Alberta followed the same science as the rest of us. Didn't like it, but every time they diverged and started "opening up" prematurely, thousands of Albertans would suddenly get sick every week, and many would die. Some of Canada's worst experience, per capita. But they beat it down through truly heroic efforts by the superb public health staff, and the medical staff working tirelessly in the hospitals.

Now that the vaccine is here, the more liberal folks in the cities gave got their jabs pretty quickly, though the conservative types have been less apt. Mounting many of the same kind of Trumpist protests and bullshyte that our American forum folks know well. We share a social media ecosystem, eh?

So now, today, the Alberta government has decreed that none of the public post secondary institutions - colleges, universities, etc - can require students to be vaccinated. Which means, frankly, that Alberta has chosen to have outbreaks among young adults.

Delta is ripping through Alberta now, filling up hospital systems again. Stressing already depleted and exhausted medical staff, who are quitting at alarming rates. But with vacc availability, the government has chosen to enable what they steadfastly refuse when it comes to ordinary vaccinations against mumps, measles, etc. Our kids had to show proof of all the usual childhood vaccines before we could register them for kindergarten. And it is still so, though nobody's died from mumps in Canada in decades.

Covid, however...

Jesus. The university where both Herself and I did our grad school - a very fine university, with one of the best medical schools and teaching hospitals in Canada - is condemned to be a location of infection during this pandemic.

Because some emboldened weeny of a political hack now in power, worried by deep cratering in the polls exactly because of his attempts to mightily mismanage the pandemic and his pushback when too many died, thinks he can finally court the base. And renew his political fortune.

Forsooth.
    Last edited by TomF; 07-30-2021 at 09:37 AM.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Default Re: Now it's getting personal.

Jason Kenny is roadkill come the next election. He'll either be ousted from the far right or Racheal and the NDP will eat his lunch and get a second term. He is in last place on job approval among first ministers, which is an unheard of position for an Alberta Premiere to be in.

I'd really like to see Horgan close the border but alas he doesn't have the power to do that.

Kenny has always and ever been a source of shame even among weasels. May he crash and burn, and may God have mercy on him.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

^ Indeed, I was sorely disappointed when he gained the party leadership.

Sounds as though some of our 'Peter Principle' adherents (Rise to the level of their incompetence) have some North of the border brethren

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Many of you know that Alberta is to Canada as Texas is to the US. Not only the oil industry, plains landscape and ranching ... but the socially conservative political climate. I once worked for the Alberta Provincial government, and left largely because they promoted talking points cribbed from Republicans, that climate change was "junk science." Not the only time that Republican lines were appropriated by Canadian right wingers, or that Alberta strove to be the most ideological of them.

Through COVID, mostly Alberta followed the same science as the rest of us. Didn't like it, but every time they diverged and started "opening up" prematurely, thousands of Albertans would suddenly get sick every week, and many would die. Some of Canada's worst experience, per capita. But they beat it down through truly heroic efforts by the superb public health staff, and the medical staff working tirelessly in the hospitals.

Now that the vaccine is here, the more liberal folks in the cities gave got their jabs pretty quickly, though the conservative types have been less apt. Mounting many of the same kind of Trumpist protests and bullshyte that our American forum folks know well. We share a social media ecosystem, eh?

So now, today, the Alberta government has decreed that none of the public post secondary institutions - colleges, universities, etc - can require students to be vaccinated. Which means, frankly, that Alberta has chosen to have outbreaks among young adults.

Delta is ripping through Alberta now, filling up hospital systems again. Stressing already depleted and exhausted medical staff, who are quitting at alarming rates. But with vacc availability, the government has chosen to enable what they steadfastly refuse when it comes to ordinary vaccinations against mumps, measles, etc. Our kids had to show proof of all the usual childhood vaccines before we could register them for kindergarten. And it is still so, though nobody's died from mumps in Canada in decades.

Covid, however...

Jesus. The university where both Herself and I did our grad school - a very fine university, with one of the best medical schools and teaching hospitals in Canada - is condemned to be a location of infection during this pandemic.

Because some emboldened weeny of a political hack now in power, worried by deep catering in the polls exactly because of his attempts to mightily mismanage the pandemic and his pushback when too many died, thinks he can finally court the base. And renew his political fortune.

Forsooth.
    Tom,

Republicans are trying to do the same with the University of Wisconsin system, though I assume our Democratic governor will veto the Republican majority to prevent it.

My first thought for a Plan B, if I were a University president:

We can't enforce a mask mandate. Ergo, all classes will be online.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Be careful what you wish for. Remember what was going on that caused the people to vote for the current Premier.

Yes, but ir wasn't mass manslaughter by neglect.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Tom,

Republicans are trying to do the same with the University of Wisconsin system, though I assume our Democratic governor will veto the Republican majority to prevent it.

My first thought for a Plan B, if I were a University president:

We can't enforce a mask mandate. Ergo, all classes will be online.

Tom
    They just came off a year of that, of course. There is pushback to 100% online, just as there is pushback to mandated vacc, or mandated testing. People seem determined to deny how the fooking thing spreads, or the consequences of getting ill.

Former coworkers in the Alberta Civil service were deeply disappointed with Knotley's team's incompetence. Couldn't get stuff done, and couldn't manage a policy process. Of course, they'd had no practice- the Conservatives had been in government continuously since 1972. When I was there, while the bulk of the professional staff in the Civil service were centrist, above Director rank it was very common to be a Conservative party member. Especially in the more strategy oriented departments, like Intergovernmental Affairs, Treasury Board, or Energy.

I think Knotley's downfall was assisted by a residual Deep State, though for damned sure she made a bunch of her own mistakes.

Kenney, however, has been an ideological catastrophe for actual good government. Appalling interventions in school curriculum content, etc etc etc. Cartoonishly bad.

He has presided over an extraordinary exodus of Civil service expertise and talent.

They just came off a year of that, of course. There is pushback to 100% online, just as there is pushback to mandated vacc, or mandated testing. People seem determined to deny how the fooking thing spreads, or the consequences of getting ill.
    And yet, there are probably laws requiring employers to provide a safe workplace, yes? To take "reasonable measures" to maintain safety? (That's how Wisconsin's law phrases it, I think).

How is refusing to require employees/staff/students to be vaccinated against a deadly and highly infectious disease consistent with that legal requirement?

As to the bolded bit: Want in-person classes? Vaccination and tests are the way to (maybe) do that safely. Don't want vaccinations and masks? Stay holed up in your apartment, take your classes online, and watch restaurants, local events, businesses, etc. go bankrupt around you.

It's pretty simple. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for health/safety officials to see the obvious right thing to do resisted so strongly. Unbelievably selfish, and self-destructive, and just plain utterly stupid.

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 07-30-2021 at 07:46 AM.
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Bottom line is if people do not get vaccinated, we'll go back to something worse than what we had last year.

I'm reaching the point where those who decline the vaccine do not get medical treatment.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Alberta has chosen to have outbreaks among young adults.
    I hate to say it, but that's natural selection at work. Which the RWW also don't believe in.

The thing about science is that it's true even if you don't believe in it.

If enough stupid people refuse to wear masks and smart people continue to wear masks natural selection should sort things out nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    If enough stupid people refuse to wear masks and smart people continue to wear masks natural selection should sort things out nicely.
    I wish it were as simple as that. But every newly infected human is a new mutation opportunity, and the next strain may be even more infectious, more lethal, and perhaps vaccine-resistant. It really does endanger everyone to walk around unvaccinated, and (whether vaccinated or not), to walk around unmasked. Or to allow your employees and customers to walk around unmasked.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

While that's true, the odds are that the next horrible mutation will come (as Delta did) from a part of the world where there are just way more people available as spawning grounds even than North America can boast. Not that it couldn't happen here, but it's more likely that we'll just sicken and die unnecessarily.