Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: just returned home from wk in icu with Coved. No fun.

Default Re: just returned home from wk in icu with Coved. No fun.

I echo that thought Nicholas, welcome home.
    We are double vaccinated but that does not guarantee you will not catch it, only that you probably won't die. Probably………
    Delta is close to out of control in our largest state just to the north, and masks are compulsory off your own property and inside other than in your own home. At present we cannot have visitors inside the house.

ICU not tracking particular variants yet. Just treating.

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    Delta?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    After consulting with a California employment attorney, my CPA and other business owners you can not enforce vaccinations on 1099 independent contractors.

I will hire a vaccinated groomer and fire her ASAP
    But you don't have to hire unvaccinated contractors, eh? Or people who refuse to divulge their vaccination status? Or are your lawyers telling you that you have no say over who you hire? My understanding is that federal law has upheld vaccine mandates for schools. Why would/should private businesses be restricted? Some private for-profit hospitals are requiring vaccinations for employees.

(Also: Curious why you use contractors? My worker perspective says, that's how employers avoid paying benefits and accepting any responsibility for the workers they rely on for their success. I'm not a big fan of exploiting the "gig economy" loophole so employers don't have to pay benefits...)

I hope I'm not too confrontational, by the way. I'd be interested in hearing your take on all that--I know my own stance is biased based on my perspective. I've worked as a contractor and as an employee, and my takeaway is that working as a contractor brings significant disadvantages to workers, while providing lots of economic advantage to employers. Do you think that's an accurate assessment?

Interesting to hear thoughts from the opposite end of the employer-employee spectrum!

Not sure I understand your last comment at all--what do you mean?

Thanks,

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    But you don't have to hire unvaccinated contractors, eh? Or people who refuse to divulge their vaccination status? Or are your lawyers telling you that you have no say over who you hire? My understanding is that federal law has upheld vaccine mandates for schools. Why would/should private businesses be restricted? Some private for-profit hospitals are requiring vaccinations for employees.

(Also: Curious why you use contractors? My worker perspective says, that's how employers avoid paying benefits and accepting any responsibility for the workers they rely on for their success. I'm not a big fan of exploiting the "gig economy" loophole so employers don't have to pay benefits...)

I hope I'm not too confrontational, by the way. I'd be interested in hearing your take on all that--I know my own stance is biased based on my perspective. I've worked as a contractor and as an employee, and my takeaway is that working as a contractor brings significant disadvantages to workers, while providing lots of economic advantage to employers. Do you think that's an accurate assessment?

Interesting to hear thoughts from the opposite end of the employer-employee spectrum!

Not sure I understand your last comment at all--what do you mean?

Thanks,

Tom
    They’ve been with us since before the pandemic.

Groomers are gypsy’s they only want to be IC if you turn them into W2 they quit and leave to another IC grooming company.

Trust me this groomer is nothing about our corporate culture, I could tell you things that would make your hair stand on end about this groomer. But they do quality work and have a lot of clients that love them.

My dilemma is she works 5 days a week and does more grooming than almost anyone else, and has standing appointments booked out for months. It kills me that I have to endure this person until I hire a replacement. Fun fact, the ABSOLUTE hardest thing is this job is hiring quality groomers. I’ve been paying $100 a month for an indeed account and it takes years to hire anyone. Currently I have 30 groomers that have sent resumes only not to answer the phone / text / email or if they do not show up for the interview. Like I said Gypsy’s
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 07-29-2021 at 04:38 PM.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    They’ve been with us since before the pandemic.

Groomers are gypsy’s they only want to be IC if you turn them into W2 they quit and leave to another IC grooming company.
    That surprises me, and interests me. How do you know that's true? Have you provided the option to become W2 employees for all your groomers? And explained how that would be different from working on 1099s?

Or are you making an educated guess, rather than reporting directly from the groomers?

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    That surprises me, and interests me. How do you know that's true? Have you provided the option to become W2 employees for all your groomers? And explained how that would be different from working on 1099s?

Or are you making an educated guess, rather than reporting directly from the groomers?

Tom
    With the advent of a Californian Uber law against IC I had this discussion with all of them and all my IC’s said they wish me luck but goodbye. They have since repealed the IC prop, with some caveats that we comply with.

I'm glad you made it through! I suppose soon enough we'll all need booster shots.

You have my utmost thanks and respect.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Glad you're back home and all is well.

It makes sense to think that vaccinated people, with breakthrough Delta infections, could transmit it. Even if they are asymptomatic themselves.

Infections are related to viral load - that's the principle behind social distance, ventilation, etc. Dilute the amount of virus in the air, and you reduce risk.

Delta apparently has 1000X the viral load in what an infected person exhales. So even the greatly reduced amount of viral shedding expected in breakthroughs is multiple times more virus than was shed by the wild type infections, this time last year.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Very glad you made it home, Nicholas!

Wow, glad you are home

Very happy you made it through and are back at home. Get. Well soon.
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

Moderna, hawkeye

Are you at Oskhosh Dave? Got a ton of local flying friends up there.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Nicholas, my wife and I received the Moderna vaccine in February (first dose) and March (second dose) . The wife has pre-existing respiratory issues - - may I ask which vaccine you and your lady received ?

Rick

I'm glad you made it, Nick.

Tough go.
    Rattling the teacups.

Glad you are still with us, Nicholas.

Best

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

We e been hearing that for a few weeks down under. I’m surprised it’s news
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Wife & i completed vaccinations in march. Both tested + last week when falling ill. I got viral pneumonia and was treated with Rendezevor. Wife got milder case treated with covid antibody course.

=
    That is super scary. I'm glad you and your wife are both ok.

Take it easy on yourself, follow drs advice, etc. You've probably got a bit before you're 100%.

-M

will do, Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    Glad to hear you are on the mend Nicholas! I need to get a bird carving from you. Send me a PM.

have excellent young Dr at hospital. Tried to sighn him up as my GP (existing retiring) but he can't in his residency. ICU nursing staff excellent, too. TV sucks; glad to be back on lapdog.

p

Quote Originally Posted by Concordia...41 View Post
    That is super scary. I'm glad you and your wife are both ok.

Take it easy on yourself, follow drs advice, etc. You've probably got a bit before you're 100%.

-M

BTW, thanks for all the good wishes. I'm not usually one to disclose much about personal health issues.

Wishing you a quick and full recovery!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Moderna, hawkeye

Are you at Oskhosh Dave? Got a ton of local flying friends up there.
    Not this year, darn it. The border still isn’t open which makes things too complicated since the support team has to drive.

Nicholas, glad to hear you are recovering.

Glad you are still with us, Nicholas, and thanks for the words of caution.
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    Not this year, darn it. The border still isn’t open which makes things too complicated since the support team has to drive.
    Maybe a good thing, actually. There were big thunderstorms at Oshkosh a couple nights ago. They opened some hangars for shelter for campers and some private planes, I think.

Dang it, if we don't meet someday on Georgian Bay, I'm going to have to make it to the EAA while you're in Oshkosh.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

anyone having a problem wearing a mask should see me. I will insert your's where the sun doesn't shine since it appears that is where your scientific information is delivered and emerges from.
    So how do you feel about those that choose not to be vaccinated?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    So how do you feel about those that choose not to be vaccinated?
    I think that if it could be proven that they passed the virus on to someone that died, they should be charged with manslaughter. It is a shame that many people don't care enough about their fellow humans to help put an end to the pandemic.

Glad you are mending, and got through it still breathing; both you and your wife!

Glad to see you were vaxxed; glad you're on the mend. It's a bit unusual for someone to be hospitalized, that scenario. But - as you noted - you're recovering.

No link, but one reason the Delta is less-covered is, with the variance, it's surface proteins are a bit different than what the vax was made for. I expect the makers will continue to 'tweak' their vax's, in response. And I expect we'll see boosters recommended this fall.

Nebraska is setting up a perfect storm. about half are vaxxed; the denialists won't, and our wackadoodle R gov pushes hard for full opening, no masks etc. They're anticipating full access for fall football, as well as other venues. (an aside - 'in their wisdom', many of the Husker players won't get vaxxed - and our school is one that won't require it). Our numbers are climbing rapidly, and when school starts, we're off to the races.

One of my fav patients - a bit older than I, vaxxed but immunocompromised, being txed for prostate Ca - contracted Covid - courtesy of his daughter, a Dermatologist, visiting from Texas. Won't go to the hospital. Not sure he's going to make it.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Glad to see you were vaxxed; glad you're on the mend. It's a bit unusual for someone to be hospitalized, that scenario. But - as you noted - you're recovering.

No link, but one reason the Delta is less-covered is, with the variance, it's surface proteins are a bit different than what the vax was made for. I expect the makers will continue to 'tweak' their vax's, in response. And I expect we'll see boosters recommended this fall.
    I think NPR had Moderna suggesting that an 8-month booster might be useful against Delta.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

firing someone over their personal medical decisions.... interesting.