Thread: Some film of HW Tilman’s voyages, put together by Bob Comlay for an OCC talk

Default Some film of HW Tilman’s voyages, put together by Bob Comlay for an OCC talk

HWT was a member of the OCC.

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Default Re: Some film of HW Tilman’s voyages, put together by Bob Comlay for an OCC talk

Thanks!
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

Default Re: Some film of HW Tilman’s voyages, put together by Bob Comlay for an OCC talk

Thanks Andrew - do you know if Mischief is still sailing? I have a vague memory of reading about her or seeing recent photos of her not too long ago but I can’t recall in what context and couldn’t see her in a quick Google search.

Interesting to see them doing sea trials past the half built Sydney Opera House
    Last edited by Larks; 07-28-2021 at 04:45 PM.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Is it just me or is there no sound?
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Thanks Andrew - do you know if Mischief is still sailing? I have a vague memory of reading about her or seeing recent photos of her not too long ago but I can’t recall in what context and couldn’t see her in a quick Google search.

Interesting to see them doing sea trials past the half built Sydney Opera House
    From Wiki
    Mischief was a 45 feet (14 m) Bristol Channel pilot cutter built by Thomas Baker of Cardiff in 1906. She was commissioned and sailed by pilot William “Billy the Mischief” Morgan, who once sailed her into Ilfracombe harbour in such appalling weather that he and his boat earned great respect from the local pilots for "a first class piece of seamanship."[10]
    After being sold in 1921, she was owned by various commercial owners and then ended up in Valletta, Malta, where in 1954 the mountaineer and explorer Bill Tilman purchased her. After a refit, he sailed her over 110,000 miles (180,000 km), from the Antarctic to the Arctic, including stops in Patagonia, Greenland, South Georgia and Heard Island. Tilman wrote six books during his adventures in Mischief, until in 1968 she hit a rock off Jan Mayen Island in the Arctic Ocean, and then began to sink before being crushed by ice.[10]

Tilman continued his adventures in two other Bristol Channel pilot cutters, Sea Breeze and Baroque. Invited in his 80th year in 1977 to work as expert crew aboard the Simon Richardson skippered En Avant with mountaineers sailing to climb Smith Island, the ship disappeared with all hands whilst en route between Rio de Janeiro and the Falkland Islands.[15]
    In 2007 a new Mischief was commissioned and built by RB Boat Building.[16]
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Tilman wrote six books during his adventures in Mischief, until in 1968 she hit a rock off Jan Mayen Island in the Arctic Ocean, and then began to sink before being crushed by ice.[10]

Thanks Nick, I found the source of what I’d seen previously - this photo is obviously much more recent than 1968 and appears to be credited as being Tilmans Mischief: https://www.adventurenation.com/blog...r-bill-tilman/

however this blog that refers to her in 2013 sheds a bit more light on the photo: https://clarkesailing.com/2013/08/11...-and-mischief/

"Mischief was finally lost off Jan Mayen Island, near Greenland in 1968 a..... The yacht that is moored near us is an exact replica, built in Bristol and completed in 2008."
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I’m not quite happy with this bit:

“Some may have read of the exploits of the highly eccentric mountaineer and explorer Major Bill Tilman. Before the Second World War he was on some of the Himalayan expeditions and after the war he took to sailing very old boats to extreme locations such as the Arctic, Antarctic, Iceland and Greenland. His boat was called Mischief and is immortalised by him in the books he wrote about his travels such as “Mischief” and “Mostly Mischief”. The boats he sailed were barely seaworthy, frequently got stuck in ice fields and he struggled to find and retain crew who could tolerate his ascetic ways. There were a number of mutinies all described in the books in a very laconic style.”

I have no idea who the writer is but I find this hogwash very depressing.

Tilman wasn’t “on some of the Himalayan expeditions”; he started the modern style of lightweight climbing with Eric Shipton, he climbed the highest peak then climbed, Nanda Devi, in 1937, he led two Everest expeditions.

He certainly wasn’t “eccentric”! He was absolutely orthodox, and of course a hero of two world wars. His boats were not “barely seaworthy”. I am in a reasonably good position to say this.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 08-01-2021 at 02:19 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I cringed at that entire description as well Andrew, but like most things that I read these days I just took it with a grain of salt - it said more to me about the blogger than about Tilman....
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Thanks, Larks.

I suppose that most people who take up sailing can do so without reading anything about the history of the sport. That’s OK, if they are well taught on RYA, etc., courses. But I wish that such people, if they are compelled to write blogs about it, will refrain from passing on stuff that they have picked up from somewhere else, and which they have not checked, as if it were the truth.

I have always enjoyed reading the accounts of the founding fathers, and occasionally mothers, of sailing.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 08-02-2021 at 05:39 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Is it just me or is there no sound?
    There’s no sound, it’s old 8mm ciné film, transferred to video.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT