Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Simone Biles

Default Re: Simone Biles

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Won’t be popular amongst the NARPs (Non-Athletic, Regular People), but I think she should have taken the L.

Games like this demand we be sports, and sports compete; even when we KNOW we will lose. The “shame” in losing is created in the minds of non-participants; “fans”.

Lord knows I have taken an absolute shelling because it was not my day. I’ve competed with broken bones and a broken head; and a broken heart. Stupid? Yes. Sporting? Maybe.
    Worth it? Absolutely not. The price I am paying now is far too high, even if I HAD won some more fantastic medals.

The real problem with all this is the entire GOAT bull****. Greatest? Bull****. Pure bull****. Too much pressure on these kids. Because, they’re kids.

Nobody is ever the greatest of all time. Someone greater WILL come along.

Will.

I mean, remember Nadia? Mary Lou? The last Golden Gymnast they used up? Shawn something?
    Nadia?

Yep.

After her Olympic triumph, Nadia was tortured and raped for 5 years as Nicu Ceausescu's personal trophy/sex slave.

This treatment of her is one of the principal reasons the political will developed to have Nicu's father, Nicolae, honored with an impromptu execution on live television, Christmas Day, 1989.

Mary Lou?

As I recall, despite her endorsement of Ronald Reagan, the Spawn Of Satan, she was a sunny, intelligent young woman who went on to sell lots and lots of cereal.
    Rattling the teacups.

Ms. Biles is the most decorated athlete her sport's ever seen, whatever gender. Has won more World Championship gold medals ... and World Championship medals of whatever type ... than any other gymnast, male or female. Racking up her first World gold in 2013, she's won 30 Olympic or World Championship medals since. With the exception of a brief period away in 2017 has been a fearsomely dominant international athlete for a decade, whether in all-around or several individual disciplines. Some of those many medals were won while she was being sexually molested by an elite team doctor, or dealing with the trial of that doctor. This is not a weak person.

So why did she withdraw this week? I dunno. Her brother was acquitted last month in a murder trial - that saga probably messed her up. Who knows what else may be happening in her life - we all have personal lives, eh? I truly don't think Biles knew she was risking hitting a mental wall this week, until it happened. It hadn't happened before so far as we can tell, so I suspect it blindsided her.

So when she found herself flipping and spinning 10-15 feet above the ground during a vault and lost focus, should she have just gone out and risked a career ending injury? When it's apparent in retrospect that she had a lesser loss of focus earlier in a tumbling pass on the floor exercise, and was already in unfamiliar territory trying to hold it together?

It's not fair to ask that. "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori" doesn't hold in gymnastics any more than in the infantry.

Besides, this is why the alternates train, and dress for the events. If Biles had landed on her neck during that vault and gone to hospital with a severe injury, the alternate would have stepped in. Much better that she stepped in without Biles sustaining serious physical injury.
    Last edited by TomF; 07-28-2021 at 02:13 PM.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I should have stayed out of this.

Further proof I’m an idiot.
    You have offered not one shred of evidence to suggest you're an idiot, and I doubt such evidence even exists.

I am very sorry that I may have caused you any discomfort, and I can assure you without compunction that any such act was completely without malicious intent.

Good day.
    Rattling the teacups.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

She attempted to compete and her demons did not allow her to do a vault that should have been easy for her. She was right to drop out without getting hurt and bringing down the rest of the team any more than her first vault did.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    You have offered not one shred of evidence to suggest you're an idiot, and I doubt such evidence even exists.

I am very sorry that I may have caused you any discomfort, and I can assure you without compunction that any such act was completely without malicious intent.

Good day.
    group hug?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Ms. Biles is the most decorated athlete her sport's ever seen, whatever gender. Has won more World Championship gold medals ... and World Championship medals of whatever type ... than any other gymnast, male or female. Racking up her first World gold in 2013, she's won 30 Olympic or World Championship medals since. With the exception of a brief period away in 2017 has been a fearsomely dominant international athlete for a decade, whether in all-around or several individual disciplines. Some of those many medals were won while she was being sexually molested by an elite team doctor, or dealing with the trial of that doctor. This is not a weak person.

So why did she withdraw this week? I dunno. Her brother was acquitted last month in a murder trial - that saga probably messed her up. Who knows what else may be happening in her life - we all have personal lives, eh? I truly don't think Biles knew she was risking hitting a mental wall this week, until it happened. It hadn't happened before so far as we can tell, so I suspect it blindsided her.

So when she found herself flipping and spinning 10-15 feet above the ground during a vault and lost focus, should she have just gone out and risked a career ending injury? When it's apparent in retrospect that she had a lesser loss of focus earlier in a tumbling pass on the floor exercise, and was already in unfamiliar territory trying to hold it together?

It's not fair to ask that. "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori" doesn't hold in gymnastics any more than in the infantry.

Besides, this is why the alternates train, and dress for the events. If Biles had landed on her neck during that vault and gone to hospital with a severe injury, the alternate would have stepped in. Much better that she stepped in without Biles sustaining serious physical injury.
    If? Lots of smoke Tom.

The facts are out there. We saw what she did past and last night. Champions are heart and soul. Olympics are about being ones best and never giving up. Mental focus is part of that. She can not have it both ways when she wears the label of GOAT literally on her clothes.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-28-2021 at 02:52 PM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

One fact is that she withdrew from competitions this week in Tokyo. Citing mental health issues.

Set beside that another fact: she's faced very similar pressure-laden situations for a decade, winning more World and Olympic medals than any other gymnast in history.

That latter thing argues that whatever led Biles to withdraw this week isn't some issue of a competitor's "mental toughness." Her medals and her decade's international dominance are, or ought to be, ponderously eloquent on that issue.

I disagree that in withdrawing she displayed weakness; I think she displayed self-possession. Being a champion isn't really about the Olympics, in the end.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

There've been several MMA fighters described as a GOAT; all of them have been knocked out or submitted. Which doesn't take them out of the debates about who is the GOAT.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    There've been several MMA fighters described as a GOAT; all of them have been knocked out or submitted. Which doesn't take them out of the debates about who is the GOAT.
    Are ya talking about Connor
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Kick her while she's down, it's the American way. Well for certain folks.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Are ya talking about Connor
    Maybe. But there's always Anderson Silva, or BJ Penn, or Georges St. Pierre.

I mean, even Fedor went 39-6. And a more terrifying unarmed fighter probably hasn't walked the planet in our lifetimes.

I wonder if the people whom are upset about Biles' withdrawal from competition and "letting the team down" are the same folks who don't get upset when those weenie NASCAR drivers park their cars any time that there is a sprinkle of rain? Sure, the rain makes the track more dangerous, but smash-ups are what the fans go to see, right? Not racing in the rain is letting the fans down. So if Biles should soldier on and compete even if it means risking possible permanent injury, why shouldn't NASCAR drivers be expected to carry on in the rain and risk permanent damage to themselves? I mean, it's only fair, right?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    If? Lots of smoke Tom.

The facts are out there. We saw what she did past and last night. Champions are heart and soul. Olympics are about being ones best and never giving up. Mental focus is part of that. She can not have it both ways when she wears the label of GOAT literally on her clothes.
    If a team member can't compete for some reason, they drag down the team if they try. Should she insist on being out there with a broken leg knowing she would drag the team down? Mental issues can be just as big a deal.

Simone Biles Just Demonstrated a True Champion Mind-Set

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/27/o...e=articleShare
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    If a team member can't compete for some reason, they drag down the team if they try. Should she insist on being out there with a broken leg knowing she would drag the team down? Mental issues can be just as big a deal.
    Having a mental failure on the floor right before event that she promotes herself as the greatest as well as the team leader proves she is no Olympic champion. Moreover stepping off the floor and leaving her team says volumes of who she is. Rewriting it is all bull going forward.

no media hype and apologies make up for a lost gold metal to other teammates. The sorriest people holding her bag is the NBC network who did not know what to say about her mental breakdown. Unprecedented in US Olympic gymnastics.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-28-2021 at 05:47 PM.

I’m sorry. I call bull��.

Recognizing that you are having a mental health issue that prevents you from doing something is a sensible and mature decision. Disclosing on that stage that you are having those issues takes great courage. They go to the Olympics with alternates for a reason.

Dismissing the mental health aspect of this further stigmatizes mental health.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Well Ted has a supporter in Texas..

Aaron Reitz, a Texas deputy attorney general (not an elected position), quote-tweeted a video of former U.S. Olympian Kerri Strug and her famous landing after performing on the vault in the 1996 games with an injured her ankle.

Contrast this with our selfish, childish national embarrassment, Simone Biles. https://t.co/IwgoPOXvrG

— Aaron Reitz (@aaron_reitz) July 27, 2021

Some of this is truly disgusting. Nobody here was with her day after day, working hard, practicing, pushing herself to the limit, but somehow you feel a right to criticize what she feels is best for her?

Bunch of armchair athletes... You have no right to criticize her and you embarrass yourself when you do.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

Having a mental failure on the floor right before event that she promotes herself as the greatest as well as the team leader proves she is no Olympic champion. Moreover stepping off the floor and leaving her team says volumes of who she is. Rewriting it is all bull going forward.

no media hype and apologies make up for a lost gold metal to other teammates. The sorriest people holding her bag is the NBC network who did not know what to say about her mental breakdown. Unprecedented in US Olympic gymnastics.
    If she had kept competing, the team probably would not have got any medal. As it was, they did get a silver. If some people are willing to risk their lives, a concussion, broken neck or broken back or leg to compete doesn't mean that everyone has to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    If she has kept competing, the team probably would not have got any medal. As it was, they did get a silver. If some people are willing to risk their lives, a concussion, broken neck or broken back or leg to compete doesn't mean that everyone has to do that.
    Risk of lives and limbs - Such hyperbole unbecoming of this argument. The only thing she would damage is her ego. Defending someone who is paid well to perform and is able to do well and will try in day(s) is a cop out. Seems like nearly everyone here loves a good excuse to say everyone need a trophy of participation and no one bears responsibility in earning them.

every single one of those young women hold on to the same risk often hurt already.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-28-2021 at 06:45 PM.

BS!!

Ted, you have seen the vaults she does, eh? You realize the forces we're talking about here, no?

An elite male Canadian gymnast landed incorrectly in training before the Beijing Olympics, and got fractures in both shins. Essentially career ending injuries. My younger son did gymnastics for a while, and it rather startled the hell out of him. He'd followed the guy's career. Kyle Shewfelt. Went from gold medalist in 2004 in Athens, to 12th place also ran after surgeries, rehab, and constant continuing pain.
    Last edited by TomF; 07-28-2021 at 06:43 PM.

If someone is doing spins and tumbles in midair and loses awareness of their body position, there is a real possibility of getting hurt. Dragging down her teammates does no one any good.

Risk of lives and limbs - Such hyperbole unbecoming of this argument. The only thing she would damage is her ego. Defending someone who is paid well to perform and is able to do well and will try in day(s) is a cop out. Seems like nearly everyone here loves a good excuse to say everyone need a trophy of participation and no one bears responsibility for them.
    You simply don't know what you're talking about. Part of her problem was that she was suffering from 'the twisties,' a condition where you can't trust your spatial judgement.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/28/us/si...lth/index.html
    When Simone Biles scratched most of the Olympic team final, she said it was not because of a physical injury, but her mental health. This doesn't mean she felt sad, or didn't have her heart in it to compete. It means that her psychological state put her at significant physical risk. If her brain wouldn't play along with what her body knows how to do, she could be seriously injured.
    Yes, the twisties are generally considered a mental problem, but they can put your life at risk.

I'm sure that Ted would never think about withdrawing from a sailboat race that he thought was unsafe. Should be willing to drown for the crew.

I overcome my fears always have. I am not afraid to fail. When I have support from people who love me I am one bold mother. I have been on battlefields and been shot at. Doing floor excessive I trained for would be a walk.

Strug had to retire after her injuries - as have others who trained with the Karolis. A Russian athlete who was pushed to return too soon after an injury was paralyzed while attempting to compete with a partially healed leg.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I overcome my fears always have. I am not afraid to fail. When I have support from people who love me I am one bold mother. I have been on battlefields and been shot at. Doing floor excessive I trained for would be a walk.
    Good For You. Be glad you have always been mentally healthy. Have a care for those that aren’t. Those who go out on the battlefield and have to withdraw because of PTSD must be losers in your eyes, eh?
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Good For You. Be glad you have always been mentally healthy. Have a care for those that aren’t. Those who go out on the battlefield and have to withdraw because of PTSD must be losers in your eyes, eh?
    not at all. I respect those that try. Being a quitter is about personal programming. I do not want to be on a team that quits when victory is close. The heart of being an excellent sailor, a warrior or Olympian is always being in the game. It goes the same in every profession I know. You know it is true. Would you want a doctor that was afraid to treat you or a representative that gives up on the greater goal because it might effect fund raising - I think not.

You seem to be impervious to new information. Now that you know it wasn't just about her ego, I would have expected you to reassess.

Ugh, what ugly narcissistic ignorant crap.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    You seem to be impervious to new information. Now that you know it wasn't just about her ego, I would have expected you to reassess.
    what did I miss? That she was afraid of failure? I haven't read anything that changes what I wrote. Please enlighten me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Ugh, what ugly narcissistic ignorant crap.
    there is no courage or outside interests where you have excelled and expressed or shown in the forum. You digs are a reflection of what I know of you and what you are capable of. Carry on from your comfy chair Hugh.

Again. Dismissive of mental health.

She did try. She trained and competed to get to the Olympics. This was certainly not Biles first rodeo with world-class competitions. She showed up to the games. She qualified. Even with her mistakes in qualifying, she had the highest individual score if I recall correctly. She competed. That takes courage.

But she recognized she had a problem. She’s working to deal with it. She has also stayed to support her teammates.

In the end, you can say whatever you like, but I don’t think it is for any of us to judge others. Period.
    -William A. Ward