Thread: Catching up

Default Catching up

Hello, friends. I wanted to say hello after some time away. I did buy the HA18 and got her home after a somewhat harrowing trip through our 3rd world interstate system from Cotuit to Mobile. Other than having to learn the nuances of the 6 hp Tohatsu in her well, she has been all I could have hoped for and I see many fine adventures ahead for us in this boat.

My little Ted Hood designed mini-ton I was able to sell and got it moved to it's new home this past weekend.

I have a new home for my wooden Dragon. Yeah, it hurts. Yeah, I never thought I'd let her go, but you know, all things must pass, and so it is with the Dragon. I love her still, but this new owner has big plans for a new deck and a beautiful refinish, and I have seen photos of the strip built canoe he just finished and am encouraged. Hopefully she is in her new home in Texas by the end of August.

My glass Dragon is still for sale and getting bites. If I could sell her that would leave me the Handy Cat and the HA18, and the old Star that I am supposed to be watching for a friend.

Today I almost bought a house on Swan's Island, Maine. I still might. We'll see. We have a week in Southwest Harbor and Brooklin the first of October and my financial guy wants me to wait until next year, so we will use some of that time scouting out places, though damn, we have been scouting places in Maine for thirty years.

I hope everyone here is doing well and getting the chance to get some time on the water.

Mickey Lake
    Last edited by bamamick; 07-28-2021 at 06:49 AM.
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Default Re: Catching up

Sounds like you are having fun, Mickey. Keep at it!

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    Other than having to learn the nuances of the 6 hp Tohatsu in her well, . . .

Mickey Lake
    Mickey, I'm curious to know what those nuances are. I've bought a new one, the sail drive version, for the boat I'm building. I've only fired it up in the test tank for a few minutes running at idle so far. It would be good to know if there are things in particular I should be watching for.
    Alex

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.
    - Vincent van Gogh

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

Oh, it's no big deal, just figuring out when to turn off the choke without killing it. I had a small Suzuki outboard on the boat I just sold and that thing was almost bullet proof. One crank and she's running. As soon as the sound levels out you turn off the choke and she's good. With this Tohatsu I am having to give her a lot of gas after she cranks and then letting her warm up longer with the choke on before shutting it off. I will say that the 6 hp seems to be plenty big for pushing this cat boat.

Mickey Lake

Thanks Mickey, good to know, especially as the manual appears to say don't use too much choke, especially in warm weather.
    Alex

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.
    - Vincent van Gogh

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

Thanks for the news.
    In Maine the first week of October? Damn, well be in Albuquerque, COVID-19 Delta willing.

Brooklin? Try to eat at Tinder Hearth in Brooksville. Its amazing.

Thank you, Steven. We will give it a try. Enjoy your time in New Mexico. We are leaving day after tomorrow to drive my grandson back to Colorado (Nederland). He has been with us since the end of May, and it has been a great summer!

Mickey Lake

Nice. A road trip. And grandkids. Jealous.

It is, Steven. He is a wonderful little dude. And I have a little girl in Lakewood, Colorado, but we have something cooking up your way. I am afraid to mention it for fear of jinxing it. If it happens I will let you know.

Mickey Lake

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    ...she has been all I could have hoped for and I see many fine adventures ahead for us in this boat.
    Glad to hear you've got a hand on the sheet and a hand on the tiller on a nice boat. Sounds like retirement might suit you. Enjoy!

Steven, we put an offer in on an interesting piece of property on Swan’s Island as a three season family retreat, but we had to let the offer lapse because the owners decided to leave it ‘as-is’ and full of a lifetime of all kind of stuff. Having to use the ferry to clear the place made things really complicated for us. We had plans to put in a well. It would have been awesome.

We will continue to look. We have a nice young lady in Ellsworth helping us.

Mickey Lake