Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: January 6 select committee hearings

Default Re: January 6 select committee hearings

Agreed. But it took a whole lot of poor angry white folks to vote the guy in. Not merely the rich angry white folks.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Agreed. But it took a whole lot of poor angry white folks to vote the guy in. Not merely the rich angry white folks.
    it took some, and Trump pulled off more than before, but his supporters are wealthier than the dems
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...class-support/

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    What a putz. I found some quotations by him about the Benghazi hearings. He’s a tool.

The Repubs seem almost frantic in their efforts to derail the Jan. 6 investigation. Gosh... I wonder why that might be? *

*Hehehe
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    BREAKING: BRAVO! Nikki Fried, the Florida official in charge of gun licensing in the state, just REVOKED the concealed carry permits for 22 of Trump's terrorists!

Suspended, Joe, not revoked. Suspension is temporary, and there is a possibility the permits could be reinstated. There is also the possibility that they are gone forever. We'll have to see how the administrative processes play out.

Does anybody else wonder why concealed handgun permits in FL are issued by the Agriculture Dept.??
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

I thought this interesting - the DOJ won't defend this congressman's actions - and, by extension, those of trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/27/u...t-lawsuit.html
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Kinzinger says 'a lot' of Republicans have privately conveyed support for his January 6 stance

CNN)Rep. Adam Kinzinger, one of just two Republicans on the House select committee investigating the January 6 insurrection, said Wednesday that "a lot" of GOP lawmakers have privately conveyed support to him, as he stressed that "nobody actually believes" the election was stolen from former President Donald Trump.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/28/polit...ntv/index.html

So this is looking like the long sought pivotal turning point for the closeted 'real' Rs to dump Trump—finally. The tension between being a steadfast, cowardly, Trumper and a 'normal' R legislator has rendered a crack in the impervious facade of lying douchebagging. There's never been any real there, there, and they can't tread air forever.

And Kinzinger and Cheney are stepping up and into the position of being the hero, the ones whose fever broke first, that stopped the insanity.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Nevertheless they were fully complicit for much of his rule.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Nevertheless they were fully complicit for much of his rule.
    Liz can’t have the hegemonic military power she wants ready to “regime change” Iran if the gov’t is crippled by idiots and malcontents. Which is a sad way of saying Biden’s pursuit of good governance will not impinge on the MIC one iota.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    So this is looking like the long sought pivotal turning point for the closeted 'real' Rs to dump Trump—finally. The tension between being a steadfast, cowardly, Trumper and a 'normal' R legislator has rendered a crack in the impervious facade of lying douchebagging. There's never been any real there, there, and they can't tread air forever.

And Kinzinger and Cheney are stepping up and into the position of being the hero, the ones whose fever broke first, that stopped the insanity.
    Yep.

Every Democrat should hang their head and slither back under whatever moldy leaf litter they were hiding under before.

It's the single most disgusting act of collective cowardice I've ever been witness to.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Yep.

Every Democrat should hang their head and slither back under whatever moldy leaf litter they were hiding under before.

It's the single most disgusting act of collective cowardice I've ever been witness to.
    I've contacted Pelosi's office. Also wrote the following to my newspaper, which parallels what I said to her office:

We must realize that the people who stormed our Capital are people who believe the election was stolen by massive fraud. While Trump's attorneys had over 60 court cases thrown out for lack of evidence, these people still believe Trump won.

I would think that if the election had been rigged for Biden to win, Biden would have 60 democratic senators to work with.

The fact is those who believe the election was stolen view those who stormed the Capital as heroes trying to save our democracy.

That simply needs to be addressed, and somehow convince those that they've been lied to, and that the election was legitimate.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Make him squirm the little political terrorist .https://chroniclet.com/news/269700/subpoena-jim-jordan/

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Every Democrat should hang their head and slither back under whatever moldy leaf litter they were hiding under before. It's the single most disgusting act of collective cowardice I've ever been witness to.
    Sorry, sir, you're dead wrong on this. Letting Kinzinger and Cheney take the lead (in public) on this is excellent political strategy. It gives the hearings more credibility among those who aren't diehard Trumpkins, further splits what's left of the Republican party, and makes it very very clear that the Trumpkin faction is openly supporting, or at least excusing, armed insurrection. None of this will have any effect on the redhats, but they're a minority. Widening the divisions among conservatives between decent responsible (if mistaken) folks and raving neo-fascists is probably our best bet to save the country without much violence. Maybe we should all make a donation to the Lincoln Project.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 07-29-2021 at 09:03 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Sorry, sir, you're dead wrong on this. Letting Kinzinger and Cheney take the lead (in public) on this is excellent political strategy. It gives the hearings more credibility among those who aren't diehard Trumpkins, further widens divisions in what's left of the Republican party, and makes it very very clear that the Trumpkin faction is openly supporting, or at least excusing, armed insurrection. None of this will have any effect on the redhats, but they're a minority. Widening the divisions among conservatives between decent responsible (if mistaken) folks and raving neo-fascists is probably our best bet to save the country without much violence.
    I'm not sure they're taking the lead. I think it helps two serious republicans are on the committee. I look forward to a lot of people I'd like to see testify testify.

I also hope people are held accountable, in part for convincing people the election was stolen. IMO, that must be addressed.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by icyb View Post
    Make him squirm the little political terrorist .https://chroniclet.com/news/269700/subpoena-jim-jordan/
    Two recent interviews I saw with Gym Jordan showed him frantically talking about how often he talked to president trump, constantly avoiding answering the specifics of the questions about talking to him on Jan 6. It looked like the classic protests of a guilty kid that had been caught red handed. Despicable.
    Tom

Sorry, sir, you're dead wrong on this. Letting Kinzinger and Cheney take the lead (in public) on this is excellent political strategy. It gives the hearings more credibility among those who aren't diehard Trumpkins, further splits what's left of the Republican party, and makes it very very clear that the Trumpkin faction is openly supporting, or at least excusing, armed insurrection. None of this will have any effect on the redhats, but they're a minority. Widening the divisions among conservatives between decent responsible (if mistaken) folks and raving neo-fascists is probably our best bet to save the country without much violence. Maybe we should all make a donation to the Lincoln Project.
    The neofascists in Congress don’t believe the crap they are selling. As kinzinger described it “it’s pro wrestling to them”. those neofascists are courting a frothing, bored, angry mass of morons who will find someone that gives voice to their incoherent rage.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    The neofascists in Congress don’t believe the crap they are selling. As kinzinger described it “it’s pro wrestling to them”. those neofascists are courting a frothing, bored, angry mass of morons who will find someone that gives voice to their incoherent rage.
    Makes it worse.

I think a few believe it, more are encouraging it for political advantage, and a fair number are pushed into it by the threat of getting defeated in the primary by someone more extreme. That's not even a ghost of a defense, of course.

We desperately need more responsible conservatives in opposition to the neofascists.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by icyb View Post
    At this point, there is a record that another congressional committee ordered made of all cellular and telecommunications activity on, and I believe before, January 6th. Plus data harvested by the FBI (https://theintercept.com/2021/02/22/...phone-records/)

This includes members of Congress. I am sure that the information contained there about what members of Congress talked to whom, and when, will come to light during the January 6th hearings. While they may not refresh the memory of those called as witnesses, it will lead to questions about - say - why did Congressperson X talk to Indicted Terrorist Y who stormed the Capitol and what was there connection. I think the peek into Pandora's Box will be illuminating.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Makes it worse.

I think a few believe it, more are encouraging it for political advantage, and a fair number are pushed into it by the threat of getting defeated in the primary by someone more extreme. That's not even a ghost of a defense, of course.

We desperately need more responsible conservatives in opposition to the neofascists.
    . . .
    Rattling the teacups.

Unfortunately “conservatives” (Republicans) have defined themselves as opposition to the evil liberals and evil liberal MSM since Nixon and most can’t execute the change.

There's a minority which hasn't. Of course, they've sought different words to describe themselves, while attempting to retain the valuable aspects of a conservative orientation which are now abandoned by the folks claiming the term.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Unfortunately “conservatives” (Republicans) have defined themselves as opposition to the evil liberals and evil liberal MSM since Nixon and most can’t execute the change.
    Not all, but an increasing percentage, unfortunately. But it wouldn't take all that many defections to badly weaken the neofacist redhat party; 15 or 20% would be more than enough.

Richard Feynman

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

They did leave a nice trail to follow.
    Tom

Almost as if they felt they were beyond the reach of the law.

Makes it worse.

Everyone of these people, if they lose their next election, will land on their feet. Maybe we're witnessing the best argument ever for term limits.

At this point, there is a record that another congressional committee ordered made of all cellular and telecommunications activity on, and I believe before, January 6th. Plus data harvested by the FBI (https://theintercept.com/2021/02/22/...phone-records/)

This includes members of Congress. I am sure that the information contained there about what members of Congress talked to whom, and when, will come to light during the January 6th hearings. While they may not refresh the memory of those called as witnesses, it will lead to questions about - say - why did Congressperson X talk to Indicted Terrorist Y who stormed the Capitol and what was there connection. I think the peek into Pandora's Box will be illuminating.
    That seems likely.

Not all, but an increasing percentage, unfortunately. But it wouldn't take all that many defections to badly weaken the neofacist redhat party; 15 or 20% would be more than enough.
    This, IMO, comes under the concept of convincing people the election was not stolen. It also means convincing the 'sane' republicans who want their 'sane' party back that the only path to that goal is to vote for democrats for a couple of elections. LOSING ELECTIONS will bring changes to the party.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Almost as if they felt they were beyond the reach of the law.
    Maybe they will be.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Maybe they will be.
    I frankly expect they will be, if only for civil peace reasons, not to mention the general loss of face for the countries political system Though of course that is already on the nose.

the beat goes on.....After police rip Trump for Jan. 6, McCarthy again blames Pelosi

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...-blames-pelosi

attempt to deflect a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I frankly expect they will be, if only for civil peace reasons, not to mention the general loss of face for the countries political system Though of course that is already on the nose.
    That those in power can expect peace if they allow insurrectionists and their supporters and enablers to go unpunished is a glaring indictment of our citizenry.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

I think that allowing the criminals to go free will not bring peace, but the reverse. That the only hope for something like freedom and constitutional government rests in accountability. The lack is what got folks here.

The party of Donald Trump, born again in his image, a movement led by a cruel, corrupt, needy, insecure and emotionally stunted child in a 70-something body eaten up with grievance. This his acolytes take as their model for mature, adult, and Christian behavior. Theirs is a lost cause and they are lost souls. Pity them.