Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: January 6 select committee hearings

Default Re: January 6 select committee hearings

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    You mean anyone beyond the rioters? Probably not.
    The rioters are ancillary to the real criminals.

A Pelosi agenda sham show, BTW she's off limits for any questioning per her hand picked committee chairman, interesting, doesn't she oversee house security, if you don't think it's all about 2022 you're missing it.

You didn't watch the hearing, woodpile. Did you?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Woodpile is behind the curve on the facts. As usual.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

That Benghazi hearing was mighty important to a lot of R politicians in order to tar Obama then candidate Clinton. . But a president of their party who fosters baldface lies, white nationalism and violence? Whoa, slow down there.

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile
    interesting, doesn't she oversee house security
    Actually, no. The Capitol complex administration, at the highest level, is shared between the Speaker, and the Senate Majority leader... but neither have tactical responsibility for security.

Now, are you going to level equal criticism at McCarthy?

(I won't hold my breath)
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Let us not permit Mr. Woodpile to distract us from the truth.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Interesting, if a company is 'a person' according to tha USSC, can that 'person' sue for libel, and is truth a defence in your jurisdictions.

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    A Pelosi agenda sham show, BTW she's off limits for any questioning per her hand picked committee chairman, interesting, doesn't she oversee house security, if you don't think it's all about 2022 you're missing it.
    Have a cite for her being off limits?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

It's got to be difficult to see these officers as some sort of communist plot.

I was quite moved by their testimony. I was a bit disturbed when the definition of 'hit man' changed to mean the one who hires the hit man. Didn't think much of it at the time, but that definition was repeated by Tiffany Cross later.

Anyone know when next hearing is held?
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

I saw a split screen of some Republicans telling their crowd Pelosi was the mastermind of the insurrection.

What's unbelievable is that there are those who believe this.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Benghazi, now THAT was an investigation.

Deleted Tweets of Lauren Boebert: https://projects.propublica.org/poli...boebert?page=1

Bruce Cockburn

BREAKING: BRAVO! Nikki Fried, the Florida official in charge of gun licensing in the state, just REVOKED the concealed carry permits for 22 of Trump's terrorists!

This testimony so far gives life to the events of that day. I'm looking forward to it shedding light on who/how all this was organized and if those responsible will suffer any consequences.

If I understood what I heard last night, the DOJ will be on the side of the committee issuing subpoenas rather than on the side of those being subpoenaed.

Assuming people are subpoenaed, and assuming those people fight the subpoena, I figure that alone is reason to construe something.

Why would one who has nothing to hide fight a subpoena? Why would one with nothing to hide not testify voluntarily?

Reports that Cheney is encouraging the committee to not allow subpoena enforcement to be a matter for the courts, and instead to enforce it with the inherent authority of the House. With the Sgt. at Arms enforcing.

I think both that such "hardball" tactics are fully appropriate (and overdue), and are more likely to be used with Republicans like Cheney and Kitzinger on the committee approving their use. If you're not going to use such powers in pursuit of testimony about an insurrection against the Republic, you'll never use them. You're tacitly acknowledging that they're only rhetorical. And especially in the political environment now being faced, ceding such powers is very dangerous.

Using the inherent authority to compel testimony from, say, a Lauren Boebert or Mark Meadows also confirms that the authority exists and is operative when it comes time to use it to compel testimony from someone named Trump or Kushner.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Reports that Cheney is encouraging the committee to not allow subpoena enforcement to be a matter for the courts, and instead to enforce it with the inherent authority of the House. With the Sgt. at Arms enforcing.

I think both that such "hardball" tactics are fully appropriate (and overdue), and are more likely to be used with Republicans like Cheney and Kitzinger on the committee approving their use. If you're not going to use such powers in pursuit of testimony about an insurrection against the Republic, you'll never use them. You're tacitly acknowledging that they're only rhetorical. And especially in the political environment now being faced, ceding such powers is very dangerous.

Using the inherent authority to compel testimony from, say, a Lauren Boebert or Mark Meadows also confirms that the authority exists and is operative when it comes time to use it to compel testimony from someone named Trump or Kushner.
    Holy spit.

That's one way to call out the Democratic Party for the mob of nutless, gutless cowards they have become.

Gittem', Liz!
    Rattling the teacups.

It's like I said, Government IS Authority, and the Democratic Party ALREADY HAS PLENTY OF AUTHORITY TO CRUSH THESE TREASONOUS WRETCHES INTO PASTE.

What they have been lacking is the COURAGE to do so, and it is to their ETERNAL shame that a Republican will lead them.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post

Let's see who fights being called, and if we can get people to ask "why" they don't want to testify.

Is it not reasonable to assume that only those with skin in the game will try to not testify?

Unfortunately, you're 'thinking like a Democrat' - or, more succinctly, you are 'thinking'. Republicans don't do that; they won't do that. All will be attributed to partisanship, and anything damning to their 'cause', ignored.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Unfortunately, you're 'thinking like a Democrat' - or, more succinctly, you are 'thinking'. Republicans don't do that; they won't do that. All will be attributed to partisanship, and anything damning to their 'cause', ignored.
    They can sputter and deny and scoff and ignore all the way up the gallows steps.

Treason is treason.

At this point somebody shouts from the gallery:"It's not treason unless they were aiding a hostile foreign power!"

To which Putin will reply "I got yer proof right here!"
    Rattling the teacups.

I'm with ya - but unsure any of the folks actually charged with making this happen, have the 'spine' for it.

Wonder if we could get Cheney to switch parties? 'There will be blood' .
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    I'm with ya - but unsure any of the folks actually charged with making this happen, have the 'spine' for it.

Wonder if we could get Cheney to switch parties? 'There will be blood' .
    Cheney apparently has the spine for it, which means that there's no way this side of the River Styx she would switch parties.

Despite the possibility that she will bring this wretched rabble of traitors to final justice, it ends up as a humiliating loss for the Ds.
    Rattling the teacups.

Yup. Sucks, eh?

Mulling this - functionally, I was a 'repub' for many years, until GWB and cheney sr. flushed the national treasure down the crapper. Never again. But I bring a harder mindset to this crap than, say, most life-long dems. I suppose that's the Rip mindset - 'kill 'em all'.

This pussy-footing around is maddening. Get smart, Dems - while there's something left to save.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Cheney apparently has the spine for it, which means that there's no way this side of the River Styx she would switch parties.

Despite the possibility that she will bring this wretched rabble of traitors to final justice, it ends up as a humiliating loss for the Ds.
    You do have to respect her courage for going against the grain.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I think 'the rub' is - the apparent need for the Democrats to be 'rescued' by a Republican. Can't even carry our own water.

Dems MUST pass something substantial before this year ends.

These hearings may help. Or not. If they pass a substantial infrastructure bill, and people SEE jobs come with it, it will mean more votes for dems. If they want those votes counted, they'll have to pass something to protect those votes.

Meanwhile, the interesting part of this committee hearings will be who they ask to testify and who comes voluntarily and who needs to be forced.

Anyone who must be forced, I'd say has something to hide.

I think that there will be prosecutions, and convictions. I think that there will be gloves-off consequences.

I also think that this won't bring America together ... and that frankly it shouldn't be framed as if that is the intention. The transparency won't lead to people singing Kum-by-ya. And shouldn't.

For years now, I argued that Trump's ubiquitous lying was intended not so much to describe what was true and what wasn't, or even to define narratives for public discussion. I argued that Trump's lying - even about small things - was intended to split off the insufficiently "loyal" from his party, and beat the remaining Republicans into submissive agreement. It was a tool to create conformity, to erase commitments to other values ... in particular to values which undergirded commonality with those who didn't support Trump.

I think that unflinching and almost cruel transparency in this investigation is one possible tool to help break that spell. To split off people with residual commitments to America from the Trumpist base. It will make them feel angry, and humiliated, and regretful - and it's FUNDAMENTAL that the transparency in the hearings is defiantly NONPARTISAN, however brutal. I think that it amounts to a "truth and reconciliation commission," but the truth part has to precede the reconciliation part ... and not be held hostage to it.

Unity and "coming together" are only possible IMO through subsequent conversations about feelings. About the feelings of loss, of betrayal, of nihilistic despair - and frankly, those feelings cut through both sides of this civil war, and legitimately so. The people who joined Trump felt abandoned by the modern world, and felt it because it was so. The people the Trumpists then scapegoated and victimized were in fact scapegoated and victimized ... and their feelings need to be heard. Paradoxically, they have quite a bit in common with the Trumpists.

Reconciliation depends on finding threads of common humanity, finding common cause. And it's there to be found, but can't be unless the actual truth of what's occurred is named and acknowledged. And the common ground will be established in part by re-invigorating the prior common aspirational norms of equal justice, rule of law, and the presumption of fairness which undergird any successful Constitutional Democratic example of self-government.

The people who joined Trump felt abandoned by the modern world, and felt it because it was so. The people the Trumpists then scapegoated and victimized were in fact scapegoated and victimized ... and their feelings need to be heard.
    These are their feelings, yes. But I don’t give a damn about the entitlement of a rich real estate agent who flies private to DC to riot. These traitors are not poor, not marginalized. They are entitled, rich, and bored. They want more power for people like themselves. They understand that “backing the blue” is about enforcing a social and racial order.

All more navel gazing about the Trumpenvolk does is feed their narcissism and legitimize their insanity.

-William A. Ward