Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: January 6 select committee hearings

Default January 6 select committee hearings

airing on C-SPAN now, as well as probably most other American news networks.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Default Re: January 6 select committee hearings

Cheney's opening statement - important to hear not only what happened in every minute of the insurrection at the Capitol, but also every minute of what happened that day in the White House. Every conversation, every phone call, etc.

Then speaks to her Republican cred and pedigree.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Rep Liz Cheney laying out what needs to be investigated: "We must know what happened here at the Capitol. We must also know what happened every minute of that day in the White House. Every phone call. Every conversation. Every meeting leading, up to, during and after the attack."

I am looking forward to hearing the testimony of Republicans and members of the former administration being interrogated by Republican members of the committee.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I'm in no danger of having a crush on Liz Cheney, but her courage and strength is as admirable as hell.

So, when the plot and actors are laid bare, will anyone be charged?
    Because that is what needs to happen here. MF'ers need to go to jail over this.

I actually expect so.

I hope you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I actually expect so.
    You are far more sanguine about it than I am, Tom. I hope you're right. But I doubt it.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

What I'm more concerned about is 2022, and the death of your democracy.

I actually expect so.
    Yep.

It looks like the Ds FINALLY have blood in their eyes.
    Rattling the teacups.

Fanone has lost his temper - pounded the desk when he essentially spits on the "disgraceful" behaviour of the Republican members who deny what's happened. Who "betrayed their oath of office."

Then emphasizes his longstanding, and ongoing, non-partisanship.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Yep.

It looks like the Ds FINALLY have blood in their eyes.
    Helpfully, Cheney and Kitzinger have their own blood up. Will prevent the Dems from turning weenie.

2022 Republicans will pardon all the 1/6 scum, lead a torchlight parade to the Capitol to venerate Ashley Babbit with Don Jr current 2024 front runner leading the proud boy chorus in the Ashley babbit lied.

This is far closer to the edge than enough people realize.

Trump's people will refuse to obey subpoenas and that will take years in court to resolve.
    We will get no answers from that traitorous bunch.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Trump's people will refuse to obey subpoenas and that will take years in court to resolve.
    We will get no answers from that traitorous bunch.
    I suspect that the Reps on the committee will probably push harder than the Dems to force that issue. I would not be surprised to find that the Sgt. at Arms is directed to compel House members to answer their subpoenas, or hold them in custody.

The appetite for prevarication is gone, I think. And the Garland DoJ has released a legal opinion that there is no applicable "privilege" preventing folks from answering the subpoenas.

Yup.
    Rattling the teacups.

Each of these officers' testimony ... wow. Every time I think I've reached "peak angry," another incident just crashes in.

Dunn's description of the racism is pretty damned compelling.

The problem is that we're still standing on the edge looking down.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Kinzinger fighting back tears as he addresses the officers. Wow.

"not here on the committee in spite of my membership in the Republican party, but because of it."

With our current hyped-up political rancor and divide - I very much doubt any 'true believers' will be moved. Just an observation, not trying to be a cynic.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Rep. Stephanie Murphy described how she and Rep Rice were sheltering in an office 40 paces away from where Officer Hodges - the man we've all heard being crushed in a doorway - was fighting.

That was in the entrance to a pedestrian tunnel, in the basement of the Capitol building. The Representatives had sheltered there exactly because it was "the very heart of the Capitol," and they figured it was likely the safest place they could have gone. They were wrong.

Rep Murphy said to Officer Hodges that various of the officers' testimony described how defending this or that entrance, they were unaware that the building may have been breached elsewhere. That the officers felt that they were very likely the last line of defence. And Murphy offered her thanks - because for her and Rep Rice, Hodges and his colleagues were the last line of defence. They heard Hodges crushed in the door - and the officers with them took that moment to evacuate them farther away, to the other end of the hall.

Murphy observed that it is frightening to think what would have happened, had the officers not held the line. And that the reason there were not fatalities among members of Congress ... is simply because the rioters never encountered any. Because the officers did their jobs.

Officer Gonell: "We are ready to risk our lives, but hey. At least make it worth it."

What I'm more concerned about is 2022, and the death of your democracy.
    One thing leads to the next. Soon we'll find out which path the country is heading down.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Officer Fanone calls out the deniers. Good for him.
    https://news.yahoo.com/mpd-officer-m...iBDbu-POoTOGNA
    Tom

I wish they had been asked who told the police/national Guard not to arrest the insurrectionists. Someone gave the order to let them all just go home.
    Among many other questions - who brought and set up the gallows on the Capitol grounds.

What other questions do you want to see asked?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    I have no idea. I wonder if those who NEED to pay attention will, and how to insure they do.

Hard to predict. Subpoenas will be issued. If those subpoenaed testify, it's one thing. If they find a way to refuse, it's another.

I certainly HOPE the truth comes out and that the truth will at least cut into the support Trump maintains.

It would seem that's the only direction things can go. I don't see Trump supporters growing in number as the truth surfaces.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Excellent opening remarks by Cheney. She cannot have a hegemonic power if the center doesn’t hold. The rot that made a Trump presidency and a politicized response to the the pandemic is our immediate existential threat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8JxftPse98

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    Officer Fanone calls out the deniers. Good for him.
    https://news.yahoo.com/mpd-officer-m...iBDbu-POoTOGNA
    Consequences. This is what propogandists need to be confronted with

Listening to this officer makes me think of the contrast between the crowd on Jan21 2017 and Trump supporters riot on Jan 6 2021.
    The Women’s March in response to Trump’s election was huge but once Trump was in power, enabled and protected by the GOP leadership that unity was just a memory. The rot was in the Whitehouse. And the rot is still in the country. McConnell has to be neutered. The Republican Party has to be diminished and reform itself. This white nationalism crap has to be quarantined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjoOrOZ834Q

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Women%27s_March

McConnell needs to be composted.

It seems like the insurection is still going on, in congress. The presumption that justice will prevail should not be made, and the partisan USSC still looms.

I wish this was gettingmore coverage here, seeing that our PM is one of donald's supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    You mean anyone beyond the rioters? Probably not.

Each of these officers' testimony ... wow. Every time I think I've reached "peak angry," another incident just crashes in.

Dunn's description of the racism is pretty damned compelling.
    One of the important legs of Trumpism and the home the Republican Party gave it.