Norwegian women's beach handball team....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oznabrag
    Historical Illiterate
    • Nov 2008

Re: Norwegian women's beach handball team....

Originally posted by Canoeyawl
    So, you've been watching?

(I wish I had that much time)

Just the one pic.

Originally posted by amish rob
    To you.

Somebody probably finds them lovely.

Each to their own taste, of course!

I find them lovely myself, but 'sex kitten' seems a little off base, given we know near to nothing about these women.
    Rattling the teacups.

Comment

• WX
      Uki NSW Australia
      • Feb 2002

Originally posted by LeeG
      Maybe the mens teams could wear Borat suspender thongs
      That is one frightening image.
      Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

• Andrew Craig-Bennett
        Who?
        • Aug 1999

Someone had better say that the Norwegians are seriously good at beach volleyball. It’s more or less between the Norwegians, the Brazilians and the Americans. (The mother of my children used to play, hence my knowledge of a sport that I don’t follow).
        IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Comment

• Peerie Maa
          Old Grey Inquisitive One
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by mmd
          Gymnastics, diving, BMX bicycling are all fantastic sports that are endlessly entertaining, and require dedication, skill, and athletic ability to perform well in - no argument at all. But they are not measurable. The Olympic Motto consists of three Latin words - Citius - Altius - Fortius - mean Faster - Higher - Stronger; all measurable ambitions, in no need of judging for style.
          With the exception of women's floor exercises and the beam, which have a large element of poncing about, gymnastics do comply with Citius - Altius - Fortius as does BMX.
          It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
          The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

• Breakaway
            • Mar 2007

Yah, yea, yah... I get the faster-stronger credo.
            But I will posit that the only reason there is an Olympics ( as we know it) is because of skating, gymnastics, diving,snowboarding, etc.

Nothing much happens in he world until something gets sold, like it or not.

Kevin
            There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

• bluedog225
              Tom
              • Mar 2009

As we know it. Yeah. Not a fan. Wouldn’t mind if it died in its current form. Along with the NFL.

Comment

• Mcjim
                • Mar 2011

I struggle with judged sports but give Gymnastics a pass as it definitely fits and the games would be much less without it. Definitely stronger, higher. Tick all the non-conflicting physical options boxes on a person and you specify a gymnast.
                Later additions are arguably the same but they don't have the history.

I'm much less interested in sports that I could watch on TV every month, like basketball and rugby sevens. At least with football they restrict the number of players over 23 years old so it isn't just the normal national teams.

I have an idea. They could bring back tug-of-war and stipulate that the team needs to be made up of competitors from other sports. One track athlete, one swim, one martial arts. etc

To the original topic - Pink has volunteered to pay the handballers' fine for them.

Comment

• LOKI
                  • Mar 2011

Seems to be a a big money making scheme for some big money people and has forever been.. The people who want the olympics are not the actual ones who pay... The citizens of the host country pay and most are not wanting to . Time for this bullsh*t to stop! I do not care who is the fastest or strongest or WHATEVER!

Comment

• Jim Bow
                    Normcore
                    • Jul 2008

Beach Volleyball: my wife was watching women’s beach. Latvia vs USA. All four players are USC Trojans.
                    “Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles and see the world is moving" - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Comment

• Peerie Maa
                      Old Grey Inquisitive One
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by mmd
                      How do you measure performance on the uneven bars - stopwatch, tape measure, or scales?
                      Not falling off has to be a good start.
                      Completing each move is basically a go-no go test, you either achieve it or you don't. Each move requires strength and a level of skill. The difficulty is easy to rank, requiring little judgement.
                      It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
                      The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

• jonboy
                        Senhor Member
                        • Mar 2009

Beach handball though.
                        If my eyes don't deceive me, there's something going on around here

Comment

• Breakaway
                          • Mar 2007

How do you measure performance on the uneven bars - stopwatch, tape measure, or scales?
                          Count the numbr of giant swings
                          count the number backward giants
                          number of kips
                          number of vaults
                          etc

Of course, that would not do the athlete ( or the sport) justice. What is the grip? What was the move before? Was the move part of a mount or dismount? Yes... was the move executed more stylishly than other competitors?

Of course, all of these require judges capable of operating at a higher cognitive level than simply counting or clicking a stopwatch.

Kevin

DIT: Some may not know, but each move in gymnastics, for instance, carries ratings. The judges, coaches and athletes all know the ratings and know what the score of a particular routine is worth before they begin. Indeed, routines are developed based on the score they can garner. Points for style are not the biggest component of one's score.

K
                          Last edited by Breakaway; 07-27-2021, 07:48 AM.
                          There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

• peb
                            Papist and Texan
                            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by mmd

"If it can't be physically measured, it shouldn't be an Olympic sport!"
                            I agree with this. But I take it further I started a thread once upon a time about which sports should be included in the Olympics:

1) No judges determining scores or winners
                            2) No team sports unless they are some sort of relay race.
                            3) The Olympics has to be considered the pinnacle event in the sport
                            4) All racing events must rely solely on human power

some commentary:

1) should go without saying. I understand that gymnastics and figure skating are really popular with women and have quite an Olympic tradition. But how many times have I wanted to watch track and field events and the d$%n gymnastics are on NBC, or my daughters are hogging the TV watching gymnastics. And now we have everything from surfing to snowboarding, etc.
                            2) Do we really need basketball, in the SUMMER Olympics?
                            3) Tennis, golf, etc: who in the heck cares about these events in the Olympics? Answer: no one. Even if they are a huge tennis fan or golf fan.
                            4) Ditch downhill skiing, sailing, etc. Yea, I am a sailor, and guess what: Olympic sailing does not really help the sport. If anyone finds downhill skiing more enjoyable to watch than speed skating, they are just really dumb.

Comment

• Garret
                              Hills of Vermont
                              • Apr 2005

I guess I'm really dumb. Actually, I am really dumb, but I enjoy all the downhill skiing events. Maybe being a skier makes a difference?
                              "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• peb
                                Papist and Texan
                                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Garret
                                I guess I'm really dumb. Actually, I am really dumb, but I enjoy all the downhill skiing events. Maybe being a skier makes a difference?
                                I actually enjoy watching it also. I was simply commenting that events such as speed skating is actually a more entertaining sport to watch. And I will admit that there are some entertaining sports with quite an Olympic tradition established that will be sacrificed based on my plan, downhill skiing being a good example. But we have to reestablish sanity to the Olympic games, and the only way to do it is to establish some firm rules as to what is in and what is out. Sacrifices have to be made for the greater good.

Comment

Working...