Thread: Bottom cleaning fun

Default Bottom cleaning fun

I've been far too busy to sail this year, apparently ablative bottom paint works best if you actually move the boat through the water. When I went down to check on Marianita recently I was horrified by the mussel and seaweed growth she had sprouted. Between the undergrowth and a stuck in the "down" position bilgeboard she wasn't going to trailer well at all. Fortunately we had a series of mid-day minus tides this week.

After much scraping

If only we could eat shellfish from Eagle Harbor...

The offending bilgeboard is out too. When I made it I cheaped out and built it up out of marine ply and poured lead, the wood part split and swelled up enough to bind in the trunk. I have secured some 3/4" plate steel (as specified by Iain Oughtred) that I'll have to find some way to cut as a replacement sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Parking her on the beach and floating off was easier than i thought it would be, it may become an annual event. Lots of curious beachwalkers stopped by to chat, as did the BIPD marine unit. They were mostly concerned that i not dig into the beach too much (no anchors allowed) because it is a man-made cap covering a Superfund sized bubble of creosote. I was also very happy with how much better she moved through the water after cleaning (big surprise there, eh?).

Is was very nice to do something other than build my new house for the first time in months but it also made it very clear I need to haul her soon, a bunch of the varnish has failed on the cabin even though it was under cover all season. Might be time to go with paint. First up is finding the trailer, it is well hidden under a blackberry bramble.

Ah, the joys of being a boater
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Bottom cleaning fun

Cetol baby.

Cetol? Maybe, we'll see what the wood looks like when I start sanding. The veneer is in pretty bad shape, checked and gray...it might take an application of another layer to look decent.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

cetol is like make up for tired ,bleached out finishes.it 's like a cancer patient getting a suntan.
    Lotta work to strip and prep for varnish, and I can understand the mental difficulty in swapping to cetol when that first coat of varnish is prepped,but if you really are going to abandon varnish and go to paint....well cetol is just the most amazing goo I've ever used.