Thread: RIP Snort !

Default RIP Snort !

11E9CE2B-D427-4FC6-B760-3D56554CF1E4.jpg

NAVAIR legend Capt Dale Snort Snodgrass, I believe he’s the high time F-14 stick.
    Picked up the first Tomcat off the production line as a Ensign .

Maybe this famous past by USS America back in the day.

Pushed the envelope one to many times today apparently.

Fair winds and following seas Capt.
    Last edited by Paul Girouard; 07-25-2021 at 12:00 AM.

Default Re: RIP Snort !

It’s a sad day. I’m not sure about the pushing the envelope part; witnesses say the aircraft pitched up unexpectedly after takeoff and it stalled and crashed. Sounds like a screw-up or mechanical failure.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    Itís a sad day. Iím not sure about the pushing the envelope part; witnesses say the aircraft pitched up unexpectedly after takeoff and it stalled and crashed. Sounds like a screw-up or mechanical failure.
    I was giving a great aviator the benefit of the doubt , all the early reports gave no details as to the cause of the crash.

My wild guess, which I know some will say let the report come out, was some type of medical emergency, as I really believe Capt. Snodgrass could have found a better result with a sick A/C than to auger in right after take off.

Or maybe he forgot he wasnít driving a Tomcat and decided to just run er up to 20 K and roll her onto her back.

He was flying one of these:
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Looking more like a take off with the gust lock installed. Edited: although there are still issues as the gust lock is reported to lock the brakes. Another video also reports the aircraft was carrying camping gear in the back.

Last edited by CK 17; 08-08-2021 at 05:52 PM.

Iíll watch the full video later , got some bee work to do.
    I watched 5 minutes of it, and find it REALLY had to believe a naval aviator would ďwipe out ď his controls , itís one of the last things they do before roll out , and we wipe them out on start up , and itís the very last thing they do on the cats , big wipe out all control surfaces are wiped out to max throws! Itís one of the we trouble shooters where looking for.

So I find it hard to believe Snort didnít wipe the bird out!

We had a similar wreck here at Whidbey in a A-6 , it was my good friends squadron when he was the CO. They jet had just been transferred to them, which means a transfer inspection, and was on a acceptance check flight .
    The cause was to short a rig pin in the tail area to the horizontal stabilizers.
    The pin was to short and pulled out as the A/C rotated causing the stab to go full nose up, which it did and stalled , it fell straight back to the runway landing on it gear pushing all three gear upward .
    The crew of two ejected and got badly busted up in a near zero zero ejection itís seldom pretty .

I think he had a rigging problem with the stab and just shot straight up and his left turn was desperation to get some air under his wings.
    But not enough attitude to pull it off.

Ya $hit $****!!

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Dale 'Snort' Snodgrass Siai Marchetti UPDATE- Elevator Trim System 8/8/21

Accident Investigation via YouTube, or FaceBook, is unprofessional. However we are all human, and the natural first instinct every pilot has is to ask, "What caused it?"

I know from flying Citabrias and Decathlons in the 70s and 80s that there were instances of the pilot's seat-back failure. This caused the seat to pivot back and down onto the back-seat stick and cause a pitch-up. Also, if the seat is on rails, and the forward posts slip off the rails, the same thing can happen during a hard acceleration. This happened to me in a C-185 once on takeoff, but I had an instructor with me, and he rescued the airplane.

Anyway, I spent a couple of hours with Dale once. Very switched-on tuned-in person, but pleasant and polite. Very sad ending to his career.

Dave

It’s a sad day. I’m not sure about the pushing the envelope part; witnesses say the aircraft pitched up unexpectedly after takeoff and it stalled and crashed. Sounds like a screw-up or mechanical failure.
    There is a report somewhere on line that suggests that the device that locks the controls for high wind parking had not been removed so the controls were not able to be moved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFybzJXmni4&t=122s

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Hi Guys- Following this accident: Yes, seems like something prevented the pilot from pushing the nose over. Can anyone tell if he had ailerons free?

By all accounts so far the gust /control lock system in this airplane is designed to make it nearly impossible to get in and fly/move the airplane with the lock in place.

Runaway Trim: don't think the trim tab is so powerful you cannot over power it on this airplane.

Power: Juan Brown refers to this "very powerful engine" but it is an Allison 250 B15 which is only 315 HP (I think). Those Bird Dog O-1's usually have 210 HP anyway? In my opinion/experience that extra HP accellerates the Airplane more quickly, adds torque but does not really make it faster.

I have similar engine in a Helio but more power. I think given the situation I would have pulled the power back but that's in the Helio. I don't think the Helio wing would stall like this one did. Going to have to experiment...

This is a sad event, of course, and we are only trying to understand what happened to our fellow pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCaird View Post
    Hi Guys- Following this accident: Yes, seems like something prevented the pilot from pushing the nose over. Can anyone tell if he had ailerons free?

By all accounts so far the gust /control lock system in this airplane is designed to make it nearly impossible to get in and fly/move the airplane with the lock in place.

Runaway Trim: don't think the trim tab is so powerful you cannot over power it on this airplane.

Power: Juan Brown refers to this "very powerful engine" but it is an Allison 250 B15 which is only 315 HP (I think). Those Bird Dog O-1's usually have 210 HP anyway? In my opinion/experience that extra HP accellerates the Airplane more quickly, adds torque but does not really make it faster.

I have similar engine in a Helio but more power. I think given the situation I would have pulled the power back but that's in the Helio. I don't think the Helio wing would stall like this one did. Going to have to experiment...

This is a sad event, of course, and we are only trying to understand what happened to our fellow pilot.

The videoís Iíve seen you canít tell if he wiped the bird out, the coolie cap trim tab, I canít buy that one.

My plumbers a small AC owner and pilot , he flys a bit with a retired aviator out of Whidbey and when Fred and I briefly talked about this wreck he said his aviator buddy said the small AC are actually harder to fly because they donít have the power a jet has. Snort was used to power and the Marketie (sp) he crashed , although powerful in comparison with your average Cessna still isnít anything like a Tomcat!

Fred , my plumber / pilot buddy wonder IF it was a lift problem , it was a warm day, he took off at noon, Fred knows the airport and said heíd have not taken off at that time of day in hot weather , because his little Cessna due to ďlight air ď and the limited power of his A/C.

Snort might have screwed the pooch on that , BUT I really think the AC suffered a cable / rigging failure to the horizontal stabilizer. Pure conjecture on my part, but he was a hell of a stick by everything I read about him and what I know of Navy Pilots , he was the Top Gun of a very select group of pilots leading the grading board , many times, in his career landing on the ship. So thatís the best of a couple hundred pilots , or so, in a standard CAG durning his time frame. And those guys where landing their jets , the Hornets in the fleet today can actually land themselves , and from what I understand the pilots trust the onboard landing system.

I Snorts day we had APC and the S-3ís had a awesome radar so those guys could hook aboard even on foggy nights down around ST Clementine Island we we did a lot of work up flying. Our Prowlers would fly by the ship and say , see ya tomorrow , weíre going to Bingo to North Island or Miramar , which had a better ďOĒ club from what I understand LOL!

Plus they could go tell the fighter guys ď If you ainít Attack, you must be support!Ē And b@#ging a fighter pukes wife or girl friend was most likely salt in that wound.

Further to #12 above: No new news that I know of about continuity of controls, etc, on the Siai Machetti.

For what it's worth I will mention (from experience) that the Allision 250 (B15 of B17, whichever) puts out alot of torque, more than you would have with the normal recip in a Bird Dog. When you get slow at full power, with no aileron effect, there is a very strong torque to spin to the left. We still don't know why he didn't have elevator but I am fairly confident that even with full up trim it can be overcome by pilot.
    I am going to experiment with my own (I have the same engine but in a Helio) My sense is that the thing to do was to pull back the power. Any thoughts from you airplane guys? Will report back..

With apologies for finding humour in an obituary; when I first read the thread title, I though is was a first and last name...
    Last edited by mmd; 08-11-2021 at 10:01 AM.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Did he have a load on board that shifted?
    One possibility of many.