Thread: Go team USA - 100 of Team USA's 600 athletes have not been vaccinated.

Default Go team USA - 100 of Team USA's 600 athletes have not been vaccinated.

Unbelievable. Disappointing. What does it say officially about vaccinations?

https://apnews.com/article/olympics-...19c335300ba3db
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-24-2021 at 09:56 AM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Default Re: Go team USA - 100 of Team USA's 600 athletes have not been vaccinated.

When and if the available vaccines get full approval it’ll be interesting. Will employers require it? Will the military?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: Go team USA - 100 of Team USA's 600 athletes have not been vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    When and if the available vaccines get full approval it’ll be interesting. Will employers require it? Will the military?
    Let’s hope so.

As a small business owner I already require it. Of course my only employees are my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Unbelievable. Disappointing. What does it say officially about vaccinations?

https://apnews.com/article/olympics-...19c335300ba3db
    You do understand there are side effects. You might understand those side effects may have performance effect on the athletes.

I don't agree with the athletes not getting vaccinations early so any side effects would have passed, but for some the vaccine was not available.
    Life is complex.

Nuts!
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    You do understand there are side effects. You might understand those side effects may have performance effect on the athletes.

I don't agree with the athletes not getting vaccinations early so any side effects would have passed, but for some the vaccine was not available.
    Seriously you do not think the athletes, many who are well paid professionals could not get them in April? Ask for early exception or gotten them from doctors who help them train at the US Olympic training camps. I do believe they chose not to get them because of the risks of getting them and fears of lost performance. Since they are young and in prime condition - the need for it is not great. Clearly there is more to this reason but choosing not to disclose the matter and entering a country in deep crisis dealing with the pandemic seems irresponsible and disingenuous. Not to mention the mass protests over covid concerns outside the games due to IOC forcing the games to happen.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-24-2021 at 12:49 PM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

I believe it's France that's beginning a vaccine mandate; as Delta continues to decimate the planet, it'll be surprising if other nations don't follow suit.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Seriously you do not think the athletes, many who are well paid professionals could not get them in April? Ask for early exception or gotten them from doctors who help them train at the US Olympic training camps. I do believe they chose not to get them because of the risks of getting them and fears of lost performance. Since they are young and in prime condition - the need for it is not great. Clearly there is more to this reason but choosing not to disclose the matter and entering a country in deep crisis dealing with the pandemic seems irresponsible and disingenuous. Not to mention the mass protests over covid concerns outside the games due to IOC forcing the games to happen.
    What Ted says.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Thank God our parents and grandparents did not share our 21st century attitude about vaccines. Otherwise polio and smallpox would still be destroying lives.
    " I am one of those white, common sense conservatives. I believe in science and I have not taken the shot.
    -- Sarah Palin, 9/16/21

Well they're athletes- so almost gods. And they're American- so they're special And they're also selfish and inconsiderate. Why did Japan let them in? JayInOz

I did mention the fear of lost performance. And I did mention that the time frame did allow for side effects to pass before the Olympics. (I am not certain of the qualifiers.)

You might be aware that Japan did not require vaccination. And neither did the US Olympic program. I believe all the required disclosures were made.

There have been comments about the poor quality of control and prevention. Including low quality tests. But if they want to go, and Japan accepts them, it is not up to me to be critical of them.

But feel free to be outraged by the situation.
    Life is complex.

Seems a little ironic. Olympic athletes are pretty notorious for using illicit drugs, and top level athletes eat and drink substances based more on superstition than good clinical data, but they want to avoid an immunization that causes mild, transient side effects? While risking a disease whose long term sequelae, in many cases, will take them out of competitive sports entirely.
    And where are the coaches? Don't they want to protect the athletes?

Those that were not vaccinated should not have been allowed on the team and should not have been allowed into Japan. Those idiots are prime candidates to get, spread and potentially die from the Delta variant.