Default cleveland "guardians"

*snerk*

if only donn were still posting here. ahhhh-hahahahahahaahahaaaa

Default Re: cleveland "guardians"

lame
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I hope the mascot is a raccoon with machine gun.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Rattling the teacups.

I understand "Guardians: reference some statues the state is proud of.

Why does anyone really care what the name is?
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post

Not a Native American tribal member, are you.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

I understand that some people, as they get older, narrow their focus. They become more self-absorbed, and more self-referential...

Of course, some are just born that way.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post

`Zactly!

It's no longer some demeaning, derogatory characterization of Native Americans, that's all that matters.
    Guardians is as good a name as any for a bunch of privileged, overpaid athletes and owners to milk the tribal fanatics of their cash.

It's as good a name as any, I suppose. Nice that they dropped the Indian name.
    One of my favorite trails at the local ski resort is named "Chief". Wondering how long before they change that.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    It's as good a name as any, I suppose. Nice that they dropped the Indian name.
    One of my favorite trails at the local ski resort is named "Chief". Wondering how long before they change that.
    Oh... I love a good anti-PC false equivalence in the morning!!! More coffee?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

And a REALLY love a good Clueless Rant in the morning!!!

As one person asked, 'who's going to tell her' about Robt. E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson... and 'traitors'?

That's today's Arizona R party...

GOP State Senator's 'Stand Up For Our Culture' Rant Goes Viral For The Wrong Reasons

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/wendy...b0d017f834e4e2
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

The word Indian is not a word I find offensive being as I live in a state that was once Indian territory till a bunch of illegal immigrants stole it and named it Oklahoma.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

I suppose "Indians" is misleading.

They could be named "Overpaid Professional Athletes Who Will Play For Whoever Pays Them The Most", but it won't fit on a bumper sticker.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

Rocks would have been a much better name.
    Cleveland Rocks, Cleveland Rocks, Cleveland Rocks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom

Why not change the name every year? How about holding a competition every winter for who can come up with the best name for next season and the winner gets season's tickets for that year? The first year they could be the Cleveland NoNames.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I suppose "Indians" is misleading.

They could be named "Overpaid Professional Athletes Who Will Play For Whoever Pays Them The Most", but it won't fit on a bumper sticker.
    "Overpaid Ath's"?

Why not change the name every year? How about holding a competition every winter for who can come up with the best name for next season and the winner gets season's tickets for that year? The first year they could be the Cleveland NoNames.
    I'm surprised they didn't auction the naming rights.

I was surprised to learn about the DIXIE fire. Thought that name was squelched due to the antebellum south connection.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Oh... I love a good anti-PC false equivalence in the morning!!! More coffee?
    I don't quite understand your post. I'm agreeing that it's a good thing that the Indian name was dropped and I feel that the Guardian name is just as good as any.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    Rocks would have been a much better name.
    Cleveland Rocks, Cleveland Rocks, Cleveland Rocks!!
    If The Bilge had a “Like” button, I would have clicked it.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

I find it hard to believe that any teams chose their names to be insulting.
    Rather, I've always assumed that they chose a name like a tribal totem, hoping to garner some of its power.

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    Rather, I've always assumed that they chose a name like a tribal totem, hoping to garner some of its power.
    I think you're right, but the mantra of today is "That which offends me is offensive."

Indians is a word created by a few seriously lost Spaniards. All Cleveland had to do was adopt madras uniforms.

The name had to change. The pressure to do so from MLB was enormous. I’m not thrilled about the new name. My reaction is essentially: meh. I would have preferred they had been named the Cleveland Buckeyes after the Negro League baseball team that played from 1942 to 1950. The Buckeyes played in two Negro World Series, defeating the Washington Homestead Grays in 1945, and losing to the New York Cubans in 1947. I also liked the name "Shoremen."

Ah well... you should hear Cleveland sports talk radio where all the old, angry, white men call in to rant and condemn the damn liberals who are offended by everything.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 07-24-2021 at 04:24 PM.
    Being "judgemental," to me, just means I have standards. -- Fran Lebowitz

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Not a Native American tribal member, are you.
    That's not quite what I meant to say. A name ought not be offensive to a group, and the name here should have been changed.

My question is one of why does anyone care what it is changed to as long as it's not offensive. Is "Guardians" offensive?
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    I think the "Washington Football Team" should have chosen the "Washington Team of Football", so their initials would be "WTF".
    Or, Football Team of Washington, FTW, For The Win!

The new name for the baseball team is taken from "the Guardians of Traffic" statues on the art-deco truss Hope Memorial Bridge (formerly the Lorain-Carnegie Bridge). The bridge is now named the Hope Memorial Bridge in honor of former Cleveland resident Bob Hope.

http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2015...ly-lorain.html

From Wikipedia:

The Hope Memorial Bridge (formerly the Lorain–Carnegie Bridge) is a 5,865-foot-long (1,788 m) art deco truss bridge crossing the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland, Ohio. The bridge connects Lorain Avenue on Cleveland's west side and Carnegie Avenue on the east side, terminating just short of Progressive Field. Four pairs of statues designed by sculptor Henry Hering and architect Frank Walker, officially named the Guardians of Traffic are sculpted onto opposite-facing ends of two pair of pylons, a pair at each end of the viaduct and symbolize progress in transportation. Each Guardian holds a different vehicle in its hand -- a hay wagon, covered wagon, stagecoach, a 1930s-era automobile as well as four types of motorized trucks used for construction.

On July 23, 2021, the Cleveland Indians baseball team announced that it will change its name to the Cleveland Guardians at the end of the 2021 season, in honor of the Guardians of Traffic.

History
    A bond issue to pay for the bridge was passed in 1921, but construction was delayed for years due to squabbles over how the money would be spent. The bridge was completed in 1932 at a cost of $4.75 million ($90,100,000 with inflation[6]). It stands 93 feet (28 meters) above the river's waterline in order to allow shipping to pass unobstructed. A second, lower deck designed to carry truck and commercial traffic was never put into service.

The bridge was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on October 8, 1976, after a controversy in which Cuyahoga County engineer Albert S. Porter threatened to remove the historic pylons to widen the span, stating, "Those columns are monstrosities and should be torn down and forgotten. There is nothing particularly historic about any one of them. We're not running a May Show here."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Memorial_Bridge

I think you're right, but the mantra of today is "That which offends me is offensive."
    yeah. well. that has become the mantra because the reflex of the white male patriarchy has been, and continues to be, to scoff at every protest against their offensiveness.

"that's ridiculous, you shouldn't be offended, you should be honored that we even mention you..."

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt
    The biggest problem was the "Chief Wahoo" logo that the Cleveland Indians baseball team employed for 72 years.

Chief Wahoo from 1946-1950:

Chief Wahoo from 1951-2018:

Many Cleveland minorities have long called the "Chief Wahoo" logo "Little Red Sambo." The baseball team dropped the "Chief Wahoo" logo in 2018, but that was not enough as the waters were already poisoned.

The perpetually angry, old, white guys curse liberal sensitivities and POLITICS for such changes. They are off base.

In the USA it always comes down to MONEY. The fact is that advertising sponsers have become increasingly reluctant to put their dollars into organizations that appear to be racially and culturally insensitve. They fear antagonizing customers (as well they should). That is what drove the Washington professional football team to drop the name "Redskins" and that is what has driven the Cleveland professional baseball team to drop the name "Indians."

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Indians is a word created by a few seriously lost Spaniards. All Cleveland had to do was adopt madras uniforms.
    A suggestion for their helmets:

I think it's wise to choose a name unlikely to be offensive to anyone.

I confess to wondering if some team somewhere is going to name itself 'Trumpsters'. and what the reaction might be.

Doesn't anyone remember the Guardian Angels?