Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: $4.00 a gallon ($3.99.9 actually) is too much, dammit.

Default $4.00 a gallon ($3.99.9 actually) is too much, dammit.

So, I drove 6 blocks and got it for $3.81.9.
    My fill up saved me 57 cents.
    Itís the principle, dammit.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Default Re: $4.00 a gallon ($3.99.9 actually) is too much, dammit.

At what price would you stop buying it altogether?

I’d always keep the tank full. Currently, the car moves only about 10 miles a week. We did go to the central Oregon coast last week. That was about 15 gallons. Tiny car. Tiny engine.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

$2.77 or so in Mississippi and Alabama yesterday, I see station down hwy Is $2.95 here in Georgia.

$4.06/gal on average, here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Itís the principle, dammit.
    You voted for Biden, what did you expect?

4 $ / US Gallon is pretty low!

Here, it is around 1,4 EUR / Litre again, which is around 1,65 $ / litre which is somewhere close to 6,2 $ / US Gallon.

The solution? Either be rich or drive a small car or avoid driving a lot. If I calculated correctly, our car is doing around 45 mpg in summer, somewhat less in winter. If pushed, it can do 125 miles/hour or pull 1,7 metric tons (albeit not at the same time and not at 45 mpg).

Filled up yesterday, diesel, £1.34/litre.

3.785 x 1 litre = 1 US gallon

£5.07 per gallon

£1 = $ 1.37

£5.07 x 1.37 = $6.95 per gallon

We getting closer together I think.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

SEK 16.8 litre.
    1 US gallon = $7.31

Why are you complaining?

It works out at $US 5.91 in NZ. That would be $NZ 8.48 so yeah, quitcha moaning .

Pete

Around USD 1/liter is actually way too damn cheap!

A carbon tax of at least $1/liter, phased in over 10 years or less, would be just right.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I look forward to gas and diesel in the USA catching up to the rest of the world.
    RWW heads exploding rather than bombs .

Mericans are just too accustomed to cheap gasoline. (I lived in France for a while) They aught to spend some time in the real world. Blaming Biden is like the guy who blamed Obama for the rise in the cost of beer. I would gladly pay another $1/gallon to get all my fellow citizens universal health care. Call me a communist. Ha Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCaird View Post
    Mericans are just too accustomed to cheap gasoline. (I lived in France for a while) They aught to spend some time in the real world. Blaming Biden is like the guy who blamed Obama for the rise in the cost of beer. I would gladly pay another $1/gallon to get all my fellow citizens universal health care. Call me a communist. Ha Ha.
    Oh, don't worry.

They will.

Even the ones whose families have suffered horrible medical problems over want of 'insurance'.
    Rattling the teacups.

It's $3 in NJ, give or take a few cents, and we don't have to pump it ourselves.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    It’s the principle, dammit.
    what is that principle anyway?

Let's shut down a few more pipelines in the US, perhaps Putin might cut you a deal from his new pipeline, courtesy of your president.

Quote Originally Posted by LarixMaximus View Post
    SEK 16.8 litre.
    1 US gallon = $7.31

Why are you complaining?
    I think Jim is kidding given his mileage but whining about gasoline prices is a popular activity in a country that has relatively low prices compared to the rest of the world. High fuel consumption has been a significant contributor to economic growth that our domestic supply then world supply has enabled. Consumption without consequence is a national value.

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    Let's shut down a few more pipelines in the US, perhaps Putin might cut you a deal from his new pipeline, courtesy of your president.
    Oil pipelines in North America and natural gas pipelines in Russia don’t set the price of oil. For your sarcasm to have much bite it helps to have some kernel of truth.

3 to 4 bucks a gallon is ridiculously low. given other prices it feels like fuel has never been cheaper.

as an example, i routinely spend $12 to $15 for a takeout lunch these days. a sandwich with chips and a drink, a burger with fries... somehow "worth" 3 or 4 gallons of refined gasoline?

no way i would have predicted this price dynamic twenty years ago. no way.

$7,79 a gallon over here. It was $4 a gallon 20 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    You seem to be ignorant of the basic concept of supply and demand.

People are moving around after being locked down for a year.

Demand for gasoline is up, therefore prices are up.

What are you, some sort of Communist?

Your Mango Mussolini wannabe, servant of Vladimir Putin, is no longer President.

EVEN VLAD is not a Communist, so I fail to understand your yearning for State-sponsored gasoline price-fixing.

The days of Treasonous Trump are behind you.

A Cabinet full of Putin's Puppets has passed you by.

The time for sedition in the service of a hostile foreign power has slipped away.

The weak-minded attempt at violent revolution on January 6th failed, and the ground troops are being picked off one by one, tried, sentenced and jailed, as is their just dessert.

The leaders of that coup attempt are being investigated by a Democratically controlled Congress that finally, FINALLY, seems to have blood in its eye.

My hope for a massive necktie party with the entire, treasonous Republican leadership from Trump through McConnell, all the way down to Roger Stone as the guests of honor is being rekindled.

Massive voter suppression, gerrymandering and ballot stuffing are the last, pitiful hope for American totalitarianism, and Putin doesn't care that the Trumpistas call out for him in their mewling, desperate confusion.

If $12/gallon gasoline is what it takes to rid the US of these traitors, bring it.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    You seem to be ignorant of the basic concept of supply and demand.

People are moving around after being locked down for a year.

Demand for gasoline is up, therefore prices are up.

What are you, some sort of Communist?

Your Mango Mussolini wannabe, servant of Vladimir Putin, is no longer President.

EVEN VLAD is not a Communist, so I fail to understand your yearning for State-sponsored gasoline price-fixing.

The days of Treasonous Trump are behind you.

A Cabinet full of Putin's Puppets has passed you by.

The time for sedition in the service of a hostile foreign power has slipped away.

The weak-minded attempt at violent revolution on January 6th failed, and the ground troops are being picked off one by one, tried, sentenced and jailed, as is their just dessert.

The leaders of that coup attempt are being investigated by a Democratically controlled Congress that finally, FINALLY, seems to have blood in its eye.

My hope for a massive necktie party with the entire, treasonous Republican leadership from Trump through McConnell, all the way down to Roger Stone as the guests of honor is being rekindled.

Massive voter suppression, gerrymandering and ballot stuffing are the last, pitiful hope for American totalitarianism, and Putin doesn't care that the Trumpistas call out for him in their mewling, desperate confusion.

If $12/gallon gasoline is what it takes to rid the US of these traitors, bring it.
    What a very fine post!
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    3 to 4 bucks a gallon is ridiculously low. given other prices it feels like fuel has never been cheaper.

as an example, i routinely spend $12 to $15 for a takeout lunch these days. a sandwich with chips and a drink, a burger with fries... somehow "worth" 3 or 4 gallons of refined gasoline?
    road

I dunno... you have to walk everywhere those 3 or 4 gallons of gas will take you once burned in your ICE-engined personal transport, you may find you need more than the $12-$15 lunch to fuel the effort.

Simple inflation accounts for a significant percentage of the fuel prices we pay here in the US; that $0.29/gallon gas in 1971 would be $1.95 in today's US$$. The rest is taxes, costs for transportation (close more refineries & pipelines, limit truck haulage, it's gonna go up), costs for environmentally-mandated changes to formulations like E-15 & E-85, reduced competition among distributors & retailers etc.

I haven't driven anything bigger than a 2 liter 4-banger in those same 50 years save for the three I drove a used Grande Voyager V-6 until I could afford a new 1.6 l-engined vehicle. Used to drive 40,000 miles a year too, mostly commuting back & forth working for a decent wage. Waste of time & gas though, should have taken a 'road less traveled."

Now I drive maybe 5,000 miles a year so the prospect of gas at $4/gallon isn't too much of a burden. And my vehicle's still just 1.6 l and going on nine years old this December.

Regular a tad under $3 a gallon here. The marinas are of course charging more. Iíve got 2 11 gallon jugs with a transfer pump for the boat. Fill them up at the local station, load them on the golf cart for the trip down to the dock. 15í hose keeps the lifting to a minimum and saves me better part of $1 a gallon.
    Thereís no shortage of the stuff. The price just gets manipulated as the oil companies see fit. A couple breakthroughs in battery tech and many will switch to electric vehicles. Itíll be fun to watch and we will make change. Iíd love a 2 seat convertible electric sports car with real range and a 3 second 0-60.

Of course every time my right hand shoves the throttles forward at work thereís almost 1000 gallons an hour going out the tailpipe, so to wax ecologically about my 3.5 liter V6 in the Ridgeline or 3.2 liter Mercury on the boat is pretty much pointless.
    Last edited by Reynard38; 07-24-2021 at 09:55 AM.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

A question for the non-USA part of the world: What portion of your $6/gallon is taxes and what portion is owed to the gas companies? Here, in Oregon at least, our "Gas Tax" is $.36/gal with a federal tax of ~$.18. These were supposed to go to infrastructure maintenance. They don't seem to actually do that. I believe your fuel prices reflect a much higher tax rate much of which actually goes to its dedicated targets, no?

4.45 for regular. I filled up the motorcycle right before I left - 4.85 for 91 octane.
    .50 a gallon in state taxes. It won’t be long before I pay 5.00 or more a gallon in the bay.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Regular a tad under $3 a gallon here. The marinas are of course charging more. I’ve got 2 11 gallon jugs with a transfer pump for the boat. Fill them up at the local station, load them on the golf cart for the trip down to the dock. 15’ hose keeps the lifting to a minimum and saves me better part of $1 a gallon.
    There’s no shortage of the stuff. The price just gets manipulated as the oil companies see fit. A couple breakthroughs in battery tech and many will switch to electric vehicles. It’ll be fun to watch and we will make change. I’d love a 2 seat convertible electric sports car with real range and a 3 second 0-60.

Of course every time my right hand shoves the throttles forward at work there’s almost 1000 gallons an hour going out the tailpipe, so to wax ecologically about my 3.5 liter V6 in the Ridgeline or 3.2 liter Mercury on the boat is pretty much pointless.
    Fuel per passenger mile is very good, so I'm led to believe . . .
    Rattling the teacups.

Evidently, gasoline is worth the price. People keep buying it. "The cost of living hasn't effected its popularity." -Twain-

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    You voted for Biden, what did you expect?
    I hear he’s also to blame for a lack of extra condiments at Chil Fil A.

Regular a tad under $3 a gallon here. The marinas are of course charging more. Iíve got 2 11 gallon jugs with a transfer pump for the boat. Fill them up at the local station, load them on the golf cart for the trip down to the dock. 15í hose keeps the lifting to a minimum and saves me better part of $1 a gallon.
    Thereís no shortage of the stuff. The price just gets manipulated as the oil companies see fit. A couple breakthroughs in battery tech and many will switch to electric vehicles. Itíll be fun to watch and we will make change. Iíd love a 2 seat convertible electric sports car with real range and a 3 second 0-60.

Of course every time my right hand shoves the throttles forward at work thereís almost 1000 gallons an hour going out the tailpipe, so to wax ecologically about my 3.5 liter V6 in the Ridgeline or 3.2 liter Mercury on the boat is pretty much pointless.
    Price manipulation by oil companies is an artifact of the middle of the last century, not anymore. Oil companies were replaced by national oil companies wrt monopolistic power and they no longer have that power as their internal needs require maximum production. This is a different century. There is no shortage of the stuff now but now isnít the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    A question for the non-USA part of the world: What portion of your $6/gallon is taxes and what portion is owed to the gas companies? Here, in Oregon at least, our "Gas Tax" is $.36/gal with a federal tax of ~$.18. These were supposed to go to infrastructure maintenance. They don't seem to actually do that. I believe your fuel prices reflect a much higher tax rate much of which actually goes to its dedicated targets, no?
    Why do you say the fuel taxes don’t go to transportation infrastructure? Btw that $.183/gal fed tax hasn’t changed since 1993. That means fed revenues for transportation projects have declined due to inflation. Which means there’s less to go back to states and Fed bailouts use deficit spending to make up the shortfall. Which means states have to raise their taxes more. Which also means Americans are paying for fuel that is subsidized to a small degree. 28 yrs. Think about that.

So gas should be 15 cents higher to just keep going from 1993 with business as usual. And that’s no extra for infrastructure at the end of its life or encouraging low fossil consumption transportation or heaven forbid recognize global warming or the reality of eventual resource depletion. My wag 25 cents/gal gets us to square one with no concern for global warming, resource depletion/remediation or changing behavior for lowering fossil fuel consumption. It gets us back to 1993 in 2021. And it’s a political impossibility.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_t..._United_States

The United States federal excise tax on gasoline is 18.4 cents per gallon and 24.4 cents per gallon for diesel fuel.[1][2] The federal tax was last raised October 1, 1993 and is not indexed to inflation, which increased by a total of 77 percent from 1993 until 2020.
    Last edited by LeeG; 07-24-2021 at 10:57 AM.

PFFFFT You guys are funny

I have 4 diesel vans, a service van, and 2 vespa's
    The diesel vans are filled 2X a week each for about $90
    The service van once a week about $60
    Vespa's about $5 each a week

So my weekly fuel bill is this
    ($90 X 2 ) x 4 = $720
    $770 + $60 = $780
    $780 + $10 = $790

So I pay roughly $800 a week for fuel
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Good point on the fixed tax rate, Lee. I was simply going by the condition of the local roads

The people with shares in Exxon and Aramco salute your indifference to excessive consumption.