Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: Reasons to be fearful of vaccinations?

Default Re: Reasons to be fearful of vaccinations?

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    more than 85% of people in britain are fully vaccinated.
    Correction:- more than 85% of over 18s have had a single vaccination.

Paragraph below from https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistic...-July-2021.pdf

As of 18thJuly,38,418,689individuals aged 18and over have been vaccinated with at
    least one dose (86.8%of the population aged 18and over1)and more than 6 in 10
    individuals aged 18 and over have now been vaccinated with both doses (29,980,690,
    67.7%1).

Reasons to be fearful of vaccinations?
    maybei if were a black man from tuskegee
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Reasons to be fearful of vaccinations?
    maybe if i were a black man from tuskegee

for a certain variety of truculent/skeered anti-vaxer:

7465F236-70A3-4836-A91B-D4529A5EAA27.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    We have friends who for their reasons have reservations about inoculation, and it's hard not to come to the conclusion that they have been attracted by bait and spoor. This made me scratch my head but then again, one of my daughters had an almost passive aggressive response to questions of her vac status. I've had adventures with modern medicine (and know there are limits) and have concluded you'd always rather not need to take the treatment but when you need it, you need it. I don't recommend elective cancer treatments or obsessive plastic surgery but dental implants are excellent and so is inoculation against diseases like, well all of them really.

I was glad my holdout daughter finally took action. I think it was the full court press in the news and raised concerns of a future lockdown or maybe just being nagged. Possibly she was just a bit lazy about it. Whatever, I'm relieved she got off the wait list but it was surprising to me that she didn't jump on the opportunity immediately. And a bit worrisome.
    down here in the hills my daughter and her peers aren’t vaccinated. It’s a weird dynamic all right. After one broach of the subject it was never revisited.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    90 years ago.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    90 years ago.

But one can understand the mistrust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom

Paul, there is no denying it was an evil thing to do. But tell me truthfully, how far into the past should we reach to find reasons to fear?
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

Default Reasons to be fearful of vaccinations?

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Paul, there is no denying it was an evil thing to do. But tell me truthfully, how far into the past should we reach to find reasons to fear?

Maybe if injustices against the black community had stopped 90 years ago maybe, but they continue in many forms to this day. The truth about that certainly was not revealed 90 years ago.
    That experiment lasted 40 years. Many alive today are surely quite aware of what happened and for how long. It has only been 50 years or so since it came to light.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    90 years ago.
    1972 is 90 years ago? It only ended because of a whistleblower. But many in that group are hesitant and can be convinced.

Its the Republican morons who can’t be convinced and will withtheir dieing breath call it a hoax.
    Last edited by Hugh Conway; 07-24-2021 at 11:59 AM.

I am as likely to be harmed by an angry black man at the vaccination site and he is to be harmed by a racist white man.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    Maybe if injustices against the black community had stopped 90 years ago maybe, but they continue in many forms to this day. The truth about that certainly was not revealed 90 years ago.
    That experiment lasted 40 years. Many alive today are surely quite aware of what happened and for how long. It has only been 50 years or so since it came to light.

"Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

Default Reasons to be fearful of vaccinations?

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I am as likely to be harmed by an angry black man at the vaccination site and he is to be harmed by a racist white man.

But far less likely to be the target of a government experiment, historically speaking. It has been less than 30 years since the government even really took any responsibility for it. The mistrust is understandable.

Last edited by Tom Wilkinson; 07-24-2021 at 01:41 PM.
    Tom

maybe if i were a black man from tuskegee
    I have obviously led a sheltered life, I never heard about the Tuskegee experiment until now. A shocking revelation!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/24/t...on-online.html Unable to post directly from the article (apparently 'used up' my freebies). But the gist - an osteopath physician has 'gone rogue', promotes conspiracy theories, sells his supplements - and has made 10's of millions as a result. Savvy about social media and self-promotion; believes in 'anything for a buck'. And is slick enough they haven't been able to prosecute. He heads up the 'twelve most influencial (along with his wife, who's lower on the same list)' at promoting garbage, opposing vax's.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

An interesting take on the issue
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Numbers out if Israel just keep getting worse

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...e-illness.html

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    Numbers out if Israel just keep getting worse

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...e-illness.html
    From the link.
    The two-dose vaccine still works very well in preventing people from getting seriously sick, demonstrating 88% effectiveness against hospitalization and 91% effectiveness against severe illness, according to the Israeli data.
    That'll do for me.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Yea, 88% of preventing hospitalizations is, I suppose, good enough for each of us individually. It makes covid about equivalent to the flu: you get sick, but recover soon enough. But this pretty much means the pandemic is here to stay, it won't go away due to vaccines.

Yea, 88% of preventing hospitalizations is, I suppose, good enough for each of us individually. It makes covid about equivalent to the flu: you get sick, but recover soon enough. But this pretty much means the pandemic is here to stay, it won't go away due to vaccines.
    They develop new flue vaccines to fight every new variant. Give them time to develop a Delta specific booster, why don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    They develop new flue vaccines to fight every new variant. Give them time to develop a Delta specific booster, why don't you?
    Me? I am not trying to stop them from developing a delta variant version.

No, but being alive because of vaccines isn’t a bad deal.

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Sigh, in the hot tub at the public baths yesterday I had an old, beaten up seriously skinny guy give me an earful about Covid and the vaccine, tells me its an attempt by the secret world government to reduce the population, just leave the rich people, ( Jews) and that the vaccine is a very slow acting poison that will see mass deaths in a couple of years.

I did say to him that there was no point in being rich and powerful if there were no people to lord it over, but it went straight in one ear and out the other.

I cut my stay in the warm water short and left.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    No, but being alive because of vaccines isn’t a bad deal.
    I agree, but it does regulate the vaccine to just keeping yourself alive, there is little hope of the vaccine ending the pandemic if those numbers out of Israel are anywhere near to being correct.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    down here in the hills my daughter and her peers aren’t vaccinated. It’s a weird dynamic all right. After one broach of the subject it was never revisited.
    Lots of that going around. I thought we taught them better but I guess not. .
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

If I had an adult child who refused to be vaccinated, I would send them a copy of my revised will which would explicitly write them out. I also would not have anything to do with them until they were fully vaccinated. Fortunately, I do not have any children so I don't have to deal with this issue. One of the best decisions I have made in my life.

Earlier this month, Andy Slavitt, a former adviser to the Biden administration on COVID-19, suggested that 98% to 99% of the Americans dying of the coronavirus are unvaccinated.
    Death. Avoiding death seems like a damn good reason to get vaccinated.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I agree, but it does regulate the vaccine to just keeping yourself alive, there is little hope of the vaccine ending the pandemic if those numbers out of Israel are anywhere near to being correct.
    But the question of whether the vaccines remain as effective at preventing infection, and therefore transmission and spread, is more fraught. Early figures from the real-world studies in the UK in May found that two doses of the Pfizer vaccine were 88 per cent effective at preventing symptomatic infection with the Delta variant. A month later, that number was revised down to 79 per cent by Scottish researchers. Canadian scientists on Saturday, using a combination of methods, estimated that the Pfizer jab was 87 per cent effective at preventing infection with the Delta variant. That was “comparable”, the researchers said, to the 89 per cent protection the shot provided against the Alpha variant, first identified in Britain. A fourth study, compiled by Israel’s health ministry, details of which were reported this week, suggested the Pfizer vaccine was much less effective against symptomatic infection with Delta, providing only 64 per cent protection. Pfizer and Israeli health officials, however, were quick to caution that the study was based on preliminary and highly localised infection numbers, and had other methodological weaknesses.
    https://www.ft.com/content/5a24d39a-...d-b12a524dc9a5

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    If I had an adult child who refused to be vaccinated, I would send them a copy of my revised will which would explicitly write them out. I also would not have anything to do with them until they were fully vaccinated. Fortunately, I do not have any children so I don't have to deal with this issue. One of the best decisions I have made in my life.
    As a parent, I find the situation rather complicated.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Do they say their latest study, which shows only 39% effectiveness has the same weaknesses? I will do some more searching this afternoon to see the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    As a parent, I find the situation rather complicated.
    My daughter Tess has become a NY/Cali hippy and was against putting a big pharma vaccine in her organic, non GMO, anti corporation, big brother, conspiracy body............... Until I said if you want to keep working for me you need to get vaccinated and made the appointment for her at her local CVS.

In the end she thanked me because now that her and her boyfriend are fully vaccinated they can attend live music festivals that they couldn't as unvaccinated people.

Do they say their latest study, which shows only 39% effectiveness has the same weaknesses? I will do some more searching this afternoon to see the details.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-is-less-effective-against-delta-infections-but-still-prevents-serious-illness-israel-study-shows-11627059395

"Vaccine was 39% effective at reducing infection risk and 91% effective at preventing severe illness, Health Ministry says"
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    They develop new flue vaccines to fight every new variant.
    not really