Thread: Fender strategy for low freeboard, high dock?

Default Fender strategy for low freeboard, high dock?

I have a Hvalsoe 16, but I imagine this would apply to a lot of similar boats. I rowed over to Kirkland for dinner last night and the dock we found was mostly a good 18+ inches above my gunwales. There were a few beam ends lower, and I got it so my regular hot dog shaped fenders were mostly wedged in between, but I came back to a little ding. No big deal, that one, but Is there a better fender type or some other strategy for this kind of thing?

Default Re: Fender strategy for low freeboard, high dock?

“Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

Hang them horizontally or use
    Large diameter ball fenders or use a fender board.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post

I use these, they work pretty well. Use a short line to secure in the boat, they can ride up with wave action.

My longest exposure to this situation is at Point Hudson during the PT Wooden Boat Festival. I've always arrived to the dock with my fenders ready to deploy and maybe hung over the side. I have the typical cylinder type. They're too low for the dock, but what else ya gonna do? Once in my assigned spot, I remove the fenders from the boat and hang them from the dock. This will work usually. The biggest problem is remembering to take them with me when I leave.

The type shown in #2 look like they'd work well.

Jeff

Thanks everyone! I'll make a fender board, but remembering to load it might be tricky... Hanging the fenders _from the dock_ might just have worked for that location, that's devious!

Curious as I live in NE Seattle: from where did you launch when you rowed over to Kirkland?
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by jpwg View Post
    Thanks everyone! I'll make a fender board, but remembering to load it might be tricky... Hanging the fenders _from the dock_ might just have worked for that location, that's devious!

When tying fenders to the dock be aware of changing water level due to tide and time your time away from the boat accordingly.

Fenders hung from the boat stay with the boat.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I'm probably missing seeing something, but for the life of me I can't figure how a fender board will help. A Hv16 is rather low freeboard so its gunwale is below any significant bearing surface on the dock. So how does a board hanging below the gunwale help?

And, btw: Where does one store a (seldom used) fender board aboard a 16' boat?

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    I'm probably missing seeing something, but for the life of me I can't figure how a fender board will help. A Hv16 is rather low freeboard so its gunwale is below any significant bearing surface on the dock. So how does a board hanging below the gunwale help?

And, btw: Where does one store a (seldom used) fender board aboard a 16' boat?

Jeff
    The board rests against a vertical piling on the dock with the fenders between it and the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Curious as I live in NE Seattle: from where did you launch when you rowed over to Kirkland?
    Magnusen, it's a bit of a clown show, but convenient.

similar to fender boards butt knot quite

Pex plumbing tubing is semi flexible and fits inside the hole thru pool noodles

when knot knowing what potential surface bulkhead or piling situation i was going to be faced with this simple inexpensive system protected my little low freeboard dink from damage while also protecting any vessel's finish that she may come in contact with

some of the larger fenders have thru holes instead of eyes on the ends and could be situated in a similar manner

IMG_1342.jpg IMG_1341.jpg

the tubing comes in rolls and you can add noodles to make up a system as long as you wish

it comes in red white and blue

the noodles come in a variety of colors incl white

there are 2 sizes/diameters of noodles available

worked for me

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve