Thread: Gray primer

Default Gray primer

Iíve always used white primer (usually Interlux PreKote). But while preping the cap rails, I ran out and went to the store to get more. I saw that PreKote also comes in gray. So thinking that my finish coat is sort of a gray/green, I thought I would try the gray primer. Well the gray primer is pretty much dark gray. So now I have the starboard cap rail primed in white, and the port cap rail primed in dark gray. I hope the final coat covers both the same. Weíll see.

Default Re: Gray primer

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I’ve always used white primer (usually Interlux PreKote). But while preping the cap rails, I ran out and went to the store to get more. I saw that PreKote also comes in gray. So thinking that my finish coat is sort of a gray/green, I thought I would try the gray primer. Well the gray primer is pretty much dark gray. So now I have the starboard cap rail primed in white, and the port cap rail primed in dark gray. I hope the final coat covers both the same. We’ll see.
    What topcoat are you using? If 'Brightside', it's known as a bit translucent. You might like the grey under better... but you might require an extra coat to make both sides match.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Topcoat is Marshall’s Cove gloss marine enamel, custom color. (Our local version of Kirby’s.) Highly recommended if you haven’t tried it. It covers pretty well. I try to not do multiple coats if I can help it. Excessive paint buildup is not desired.

https://www.marshallscovemarinepaint.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Topcoat is Marshall’s Cove gloss marine enamel, custom color. (Our local version of Kirby’s.) Highly recommended if you haven’t tried it. It covers pretty well. I try to not do multiple coats if I can help it. Excessive paint buildup is not desired.

https://www.marshallscovemarinepaint.com/
    I have tried it. And the project seems to be holding up well. And the coverage was good. I think it has a good pigment/solids %. Guessing... you'll be fine.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I have tried it. And the project seems to be holding up well. And the coverage was good. I think it has a good pigment/solids %. Guessing... you'll be fine.
    Yeah, it’s not like a huge disaster if it needs another coat. it’ll be a fun experiment.

Put the top coat on today, here is my conclusion. There was no problem at all covering the dark gray primer with the much lighter finish coat. Mostly that is due to the excellent quality of the Marshallís Cove paint. I donít have any connection to that company, but in my decades of painting my own wood boats, that is the best paint Iíve ever used.

As far as the dark primer goes, I probably wonít use it again. Not because of a covering problem, but for some reason it was more difficult to sand. Both the white primer and dark gray primer were the same brand (Interlux PreKote), and both were applied about the same time. Yet the white was dryer and chalky and easy to sand. The gray was softer and loaded the sandpaper much faster.

I've been very happy with the performance of Marshall's Cove paint as well. If I have a gripe it is they are a small outfit with limited selection. My preference is for semi as opposed to full gloss and it can be difficult to get that sheen when I want it. I've been known to add flattener but that is hard to match down the road.

No connection, other than sailing past their dock on the way in and out of my slip.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan